Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Washer Not Working

venomx

Get a large syringe and tube and remove all the old screenwash. Refill with fairly hot water. Disconnect the hose from the nozzle at the back. Run the rear wash until you're happy with the flow of water. I would spray the fronts too just to make sure its all clear.

Remove the rear nozzle. Blow either way through the nozzle to ensure its clear both ways. Use a pin. Just in case, soak it in hot water with some soda crystals. Rinse throughly

Refit the nozzle and check it's spraying properly. Hopefully you should be good to go.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, corradovr6 said:

Get a large syringe and tube and remove all the old screenwash. Refill with fairly hot water. Disconnect the hose from the nozzle at the back. Run the rear wash until you're happy with the flow of water. I would spray the fronts too just to make sure its all clear.

Remove the rear nozzle. Blow either way through the nozzle to ensure its clear both ways. Use a pin. Just in case, soak it in hot water with some soda crystals. Rinse throughly

Refit the nozzle and check it's spraying properly. Hopefully you should be good to go.

Thanks that's very good advice. Im getting the syphon soon, hope it helps at least

7 hours ago, corradovr6 said:

Run the rear wash until you're happy with the flow of water

Do you mean with or without the screenwash mixed in ?

To remove the rear nozzle you disconnect the plate which holds the central rear brake light right ? Then twist it anti clockwise then it comes off? 

As I can hear the mechanism whirring I'd assume the jets pumping screen wash through are working OK. I'll check the jets after cleaning the reservoir 

To release the nozzle you push the 2 tabs in and push, it then pops out

• Thanks 1

Got a load of hot water, poured it in, syphoned it out. and did this twice.

Then I mixed new washing liquid with 65% fluid and 35% water. Now the rear nozzle seems to work fine. As someone said it does trickle out. But it now works every time. So thanks for the info guys

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, stantheman1 said:

Was there plenty of those black slimy bits in the syphoned water?

The bucket I emptied it into had washing fluid and lots of bubbles in it so it was difficult to tell. I couldn't see anything other than clear liquid when I was syphoning. Either way it worked, so thanks 🙂

Well I spoke too soon.

It worked fine for an hour or so. Now it doesn't work at all. Maybe I need to put in more washer fluid ? I put in 32oz/900ml 

Where should I go from here, should I try removing the nozzle and blowing through it ? I've already tried this a couple of days a go but blowing into it rather than outwards. Also got a pin and pushed around to ensure no blockage

When you say it's not working, you mean the rear washer isn't firing out fluid immediately?

If so, as I said that's normal for a Mk2 - For whatever reason the fluid slowly drains back down the tube so if you don't use the washer for a while, you need to hold the switch for a couple seconds longer so the fluid can be pumped all the way back through the tube again. I reckon maybe they used a tube that was too wide or a not powerful enough pump, as the fluid did seem to take longer than I'd consider reasonable to start flowing to the back jet!

Just keep the washer fluid bottle topped up and don't worry about it... just give it annoyed grimace every time you have to wait 2 seconds for the fluid to start coming out when you use it :laugh: 

23 minutes ago, Cyker said:

When you say it's not working, you mean the rear washer isn't firing out fluid immediately?

I mean it doesn't work at all. After I cleaned out the reservoir and replaced the fluid it was coming out after a couple of seconds.  Now it doesn't come out at all even if I twist the lever for 10 seconds 

Trying to figure out how to remove the rear nozzle. I've tried squeezing them clips but it doesn't squeeze at all

carr.jpeg

Well I have finally fixed it.

I took the nozzle off, cleaned it with hot water, mild alcohol handwash, a tiny stick and a paper clip, over and over for 10 minutes until I could blow through it. Absolutely loads of black gunky stuff came out.

Now when I press the lever, water blasts out like i've never even seen it. It doesn't even just dribble, it now squirts plenty of water every time.

• Like 2

Can you believe it, a blocked washer jet took 37 posts? Sheesh!

• Haha 1

Hurrah!

Well done for fixing it yourself and not giving up and taking it to a garage! :thumbsup:

The previous owner(s) must have never used it for it to have blocked up that much!

Got there in the end, i have done a few, mk3 with a spoiler is a pita, as you have to unbolt the spoiler and pry it up to get the at the nozzle

3 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

Can you believe it, a blocked washer jet took 37 posts? Sheesh!

Typical me I always ask lots of questions, it's how I learn though.

Me first car too and I am still learning ( as you can see )

• Like 2

On 10/22/2021 at 5:43 PM, flash22 said:

If that's ok, back flush the nozzle with air, if not pop the nozzle out of the boot lid and blow it (can be accessed by removing the centre brake light that is just clipped in place)

Is it possible to buy the holder which holds the centre brake light ? As mine is damaged

I've looked extensively on autodoc and eBay, but cannot find anything

Found one here. £50 !! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321600221185

And here, £47.. https://toyotadirectparts.co.uk/parts/toyota-yaris/toyota-yaris-mk-2/yaris-mk-2-exterior-interior/toyota-yaris-2005-2011-centre-stop-lamp-cover/

Extortionate for a piece of plastic

Surely there are alternatives ? 

Is this the right one ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-TOYOTA-YARIS-REAR-BOOT-HIGH-LEVEL-3RD-BRAKE-STOP-LIGHT-/284461227410?

Just now, flash22 said:

The part number is 81977-0D020

it's the same as the Mk3 so 2005 - 2020 (non hybrid)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321600221185?epid=1816838809

or go on ebay and search "2008 yaris breaking" you may find on local to you then ask the seller

OK thanks !

This one looks right.. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284461227410

It does say 2007 which is the same as mine ( MK 2 )

It has busted tabs so the cover is junk, did yours have screws in it

4 minutes ago, flash22 said:

It has busted tabs so the cover is junk, did yours have screws in it

Yeah from what I can remember it has two silvers screws, one in each side. I don't want to keep taking it down though.

I used some strong black-tac to keep it in place and it does the job, but a fully working one wouldn't go a miss.

13 hours ago, venomx said:

Ah right I understand, you mean these bits circled in red. Seems as though the furthest two tabs are missing as you said.

s-l1600.jpg

correct

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links