Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Will my T27 tell me when it's regenerating or when I better go for a long drive?

Mcfc1894

It's a 2013 manual 2.0 D4D, trying to get my head around the modern diesel dpf business but can't read much about in the user manual. Do you notice when it's regenerating at all? Or if it hasn't been able to for a while, will it, like, tell me when it's time to go for a drive?

• Like 1

We've owned our 2012 Avensis since early 2016 and the only time I've noticed it regenerating was after a long motorway run when I reversed into a car parking space and could smell quite a pungent burning smell, and there was very slight smoke from the exhaust. I assume that must've been it regenerating but there there was no way of knowing from inside the car. Touch wood Toyota seem to have got the DPFs sorted on their very last 2.0 diesel engines and they rarely give trouble. Ours has endured over 5 years of mainly short journeys and rarely getting properly hot without giving any DPF problems. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, yossarian247 said:

We've owned our 2012 Avensis since early 2016 and the only time I've noticed it regenerating was after a long motorway run when I reversed into a car parking space and could smell quite a pungent burning smell, and there was very slight smoke from the exhaust. I assume that must've been it regenerating but there there was no way of knowing from inside the car. Touch wood Toyota seem to have got the DPFs sorted on their very last 2.0 diesel engines and they rarely give trouble. Ours has endured over 5 years of mainly short journeys and rarely getting properly hot without giving any DPF problems. 

Happy to hear that as that's pretty much my driving pattern as well right now. Wouldn't have minded the petrol one but diesels are a lot easier to come by at the moment so I could find one within my budget. My lack of finding anything of significance researching this seems to indicate it's not a big problem.

We bought ours when my wife used to have quite a long commute to work. Of course sod's law 6 months later she got a new job only a few minutes down the road! Had we known that beforehand we would probably have gone for a petrol but, as you say, petrols are not particularly easy to find. With the sort of use it gets I had been half expecting DPF issues for some years, but so far so good...

Ours gets a decent motorway run perhaps once every 3 months or so, and inbetween that does entirely short journeys. One thing I do about once per year as a precaution is put a bottle of Archoil diesel turbo & DPF cleaner in the tank, but in all honesty I don't know if it actually makes any difference.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 1:19 AM, Mcfc1894 said:

It's a 2013 manual 2.0 D4D, trying to get my head around the modern diesel dpf business but can't read much about in the user manual. Do you notice when it's regenerating at all? Or if it hasn't been able to for a while, will it, like, tell me when it's time to go for a drive?

I'm not sure about Toyota but some cars (BMW etc.) have higher idle rpm when it is regenerating and exhaust gas is so hot that You can't hold hand behind exhaust tip.

On 10/30/2021 at 11:28 PM, JiiN said:

I'm not sure about Toyota but some cars (BMW etc.) have higher idle rpm when it is regenerating and exhaust gas is so hot that You can't hold hand behind exhaust tip.

On Volkswagen diesels its quite noticeable that the idle speed increases and the engine note changes when regenerating, but on our Avensis nothing noticeable at all from inside the car.

On 10/30/2021 at 1:00 PM, yossarian247 said:

i got one of the last 2.0 with dpf 1ADFTV engines im kina worried about the dpf as tbh i dont do long drives either .maybe weekends and even then its not long drives either. kina was wondering would the car kinda tell me when its in regen also. my buddy has one of those vw group 2.0 tid cars and well he knows when his goes into a regen he has a dpf on his also 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links