Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

new yaris excel 2021 no satnav

pete001

Hi

I collected my 2021 yaris excel yesterday

great car but no satnav

it got a map button on head unit, is there any way to install satnav on system

thanks

Doesn't it have Android Auto/Apple Carplay? In which case you can use your phone.

Nav is not an option on UK Yaris apart from the GR and Cross the only way is to use AA or AC and a mobile phone

The sat nav is a plug in module, due to the chip shortage and current delays they are silly money and very limited availability, used if you can find one you will need to look on eBay sites in Europe

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Doesn't it have Android Auto/Apple Carplay? In which case you can use your phone.

FB, was Sat Nav not part of the Excel Spec at the time ?

I have a mobile, but it is one of the earlier Nokias, so your suggestion would not work for me.

4 minutes ago, john p williams said:

FB, was Sat Nav not part of the Excel Spec at the time ?

I have a mobile, but it is one of the earlier Nokias, so your suggestion would not work for me.

You could choose to buy a standalone Satnav, does anybody do that anymore ? Do you have to pay silly money for data plans in the UK ?

23 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

You could choose to buy a standalone Satnav, does anybody do that anymore ? Do you have to pay silly money for data plans in the UK ?

The equivalent to 25-30 euro a month, not all car drivers are tech-savvy or use a Smartphone

Edit. Looked up the nav for the corolla, Retail on the kit is £903 but can be found for £800 ish new

• Sad 1

@flash22 Yes, that's very true. These days, sadly, not being able to use online or digitally delivered content is a real disadvantage. OTOH, once set up even a modest smartphone will handle navigation. When I realised I could use a smartphone as a Satnav, I ditched the standalone Satnav, and is why I don't particularly find it any advantage as a built in feature, other than tidiness. 

I also find that the price that Toyota ask for the Touch 2 and Go, is outrageous.

The missus uses Android Auto in her Yaris, both for nav and for voice commands for things like sending a text.

• Like 1

I don’t know any car except Tesla that has a good built in sat nav tbh, android auto and Apple CarPlay always been better options or simply just a smartphone attached to the dashboard. 👍

1 hour ago, Yugguy1970 said:

The missus uses Android Auto in her Yaris, both for nav and for voice commands for things like sending a text.

Texting is a problem with voice commands, for me, because none of the vocal reconnaissance software manages more than one language.

6 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

or simply just a smartphone attached to the dashboard.

Except that car manufacturers seem to go out of their way to make doing that as difficult and untidy as possible.

AA was too unreliable for me as on the one car I've had with it, both times I tried to use it for nav it just stopped after 20 minutes.

25 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

AA was too unreliable for me as on the one car I've had with it, both times I tried to use it for nav it just stopped after 20 minutes.

My current car doesn't do AA, and barely does Car Play, so I'm still using a "stuck on" phone holder and directly using the phone, with either Waze or TomTom. Most of the time for local journeys, I don't now use Satnav, but when I lived and worked in the Paris region and drove to work, I used it all the time. Of course, Satnav is only useful "all the time" if it has as close as possible to realtime traffic updates. Mind you, once, when an almighty blizzard was upon us, it was showing clear roads when they were in fact totally blocked!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

My current car doesn't do AA, and barely does Car Play, so I'm still using a "stuck on" phone holder and directly using the phone, with either Waze or TomTom. Most of the time for local journeys, I don't now use Satnav, but when I lived and worked in the Paris region and drove to work, I used it all the time. Of course, Satnav is only useful "all the time" if it has as closets possible to realtime traffic updates. Mind you, once, when an almighty blizzard was upon us, it was showing clear roads when they were in fact totally blocked!

Same with me but I use exclusively Google maps as they have traffic updates every minute and really good layout, auto change of brightness and colours when dark, I am a night driver and this is important for me. Sometimes when I have trouble finding an address on new builds in UK I use Apple own maps and they seems to have most of the recent addresses on most of the new builds and so it’s really helpful. Also I have off line downloaded map on most visited places in case I have no signal on the phone and so far no problems to find my way around 👍👌

• Like 2

@TonyHSD I have limited experience with Google maps, Waze I can select the right "soothing" voice, I have "Carol" a very nice sounding English lady. For Apple Maps, it's a disaster, because I have my phone programmed for English, but I live in France, and the Siri voice, which seems the only choice tries to pronounce street and place names, and massacres them completely, so it's a non starter for Satnav. TomTom, I have Sean, a noice Oirish fella, and he's smart enough to leave the street and place names alone ! 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

@TonyHSD I have limited experience with Google maps, Waze I can select the right "soothing" voice, I have "Carol" a very nice sounding English lady. For Apple Maps, it's a disaster, because I have my phone programmed for English, but I live in France, and the Siri voice, which seems the only choice tries to pronounce street and place names, and massacres them completely, so it's a non starter for Satnav. TomTom, I have Sean, a noice Oirish fella, and he's smart enough to leave the street and place names alone ! 🤣

Ok, I personally never use any voice guidance with sat navs, or anything else on the car or the phone. I usually set the destination, check the route and make sure I know a second route in case of road work or accidents and only look from time to time into the screen for updates or before arriving if not familiar with the area. No radio in the car either or fancy infotainment screens, all dark and quiet, I like to listen the car noises like engine and e motors, regenerative braking all that stuff,  kind of old school drive 👌

• Like 2

Hi I’ve just got the Yaris design and it too has a map button. I have to use my iPhone to access maps. If you connect ur iPhone to the car it then mirrors ur iPhone and u can then use maps for satnav via the onboard screen. It’s really good, well I think so anyway.  You can also use this method for hands free iPhone music etc. Hope this helps and enjoy ur new car. 

• Like 3

The UK Yaris hybrid hatchback misses out on a lot of features / options / equipment that are available to the European Market Yaris.

Built in sat nav is one of those features.

• Like 1

...and both miss out on a lot of features that are available to the JDM Yaris Mk4! :crybaby: (Toyota! I would have stumped up more money for AWD and 360 cameras and auto-parking! And no that damned Yaris 'Cross', is not an alternative! *spit! ptoo!*)

Personally I'm not so bothered about the satnav, as they get out of date real fast and the update costs are often extortionate, but I wish they'd relabel and/or map (haha) the button to something else. My mates love trying to wind me up by pressing it!

If you really need the satnav, I'd either get a standalone unit, or a cheap but up to date android tablet and load some off-line maps onto it via either google maps off-line mode, or something like navit or osm or locus.

Fortunately (Or unfortunately!), as the 'designated driver', I rarely go anywhere unknown without a car full of people so I get 3-4 satnav's :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The new Toyota Smart Connect infotainment / navigation system as available on the Yaris Cross, coming to the 22 MY Corolla & possibly C - HR with there live traffic will finally bring a decent built in navigation system option to the Toyota family of products.

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

I rarely go anywhere unknown without a car full of people so I get 3-4 satnav's :laugh: 

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Unfortunately I've usually had to pull up in a lay-by and consult the maps. Women!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Unfortunately I've usually had to pull up in a lay-by and consult the maps. Women!

If anything, it's Mrs Stopeter44 who will consult the maps, before me. While I'm asking myself why the Satnav is taking me up a flight of steps in an ancient stonewalled hilltop village !

• Haha 1

On 11/18/2021 at 11:19 AM, pete001 said:

Hi

I collected my 2021 yaris excel yesterday

great car but no satnav

it got a map button on head unit, is there any way to install satnav on system

thanks

If you use Google Maps or Waze that'll display when you press the map button on the head unit. So works in the same way as the standard sat nat but better

• Like 4

I've always had stand alone sat navs prior to getting my MK4 Excel and was really wanting a built in sat nav as I was a bit sceptical about using Android Auto but it's been great. Very easy to use and reliable. I've only had one experience where I wasn't able to pick up any signal.  I now wouldn't bother paying extra for a built in sat nav.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links