Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

To Wax or not

Hornet3D

2 hours ago, Hornet3D said:

Two products, for the engine in general Meguiar's G17316EU Engine Bay Dressing and then for all of the rubber components such as hoses and rubber seals I used 303® Aerospace Protectant. The Engine bay dressing is new to me but I have been using the 303 protectant for a few years on my previous car and used it on extensively mainly due the the UV blockers which help keep rubber in particular supple and crack free.

Thanks for letting me know what you use, I'll give them a try! 👍

7 minutes ago, NorthantsRob said:

Thanks for letting me know what you use, I'll give them a try! 👍

Your more than welcome.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Soft er products soften the effect of microfibre cloths, takes away the grabbing effect of the cloth.

Interesting !!

Thats why you  can find it had to clean certain types of surface, the microfibre is grabbing, whereas other surfaces, or when the cloth is slightly damp it will still do its job of grabbing dust but the cloth moves easier.            

So, you use one cloth for applying the carnuba wax, and swirl it around if you want, it leaves no swirl marks...... and another cloth for buffing up, get that nice polish.

It makes polishing a car easier, I even got the wife helping me when her car gets clean, she finds it easier. Cant get her to help cleaing my car though. 🤔

• Like 1

There are products that you can use to wash microfibre cloths  that are designed for the purpose and they do tend to extend the life a little.

I've never used products on any car I've owned. 2 buckets of warm water and a sponge followed by a chamois off and buff up with an old towel does it for me. There's usually enough shine in the standard lacquer. 

On 2/21/2022 at 6:03 PM, Gray86 said:

Polish gives the shine, wax is for protection. If you want water beading for 4-6MONTHS, use a durable wax like Collinite 476s or 915. Both are exceptional, and make washing the car much easier too. The tin lasts ages, so you should get a few years out of it 

If I wax the car with Collinite 476 can I wash afterwards with my regular shampoo that I shared above or I need to use specific shampoo? 
Thanks 🙏 

5 hours ago, Billyboy81 said:

I've never used products on any car I've owned. 2 buckets of warm water and a sponge followed by a chamois off and buff up with an old towel does it for me. There's usually enough shine in the standard lacquer. 

What works for one car will not necessarily work for another as there are so many factors involved such as how often is the car in question used and under what conditions, how cold are the winters, how hot are the summers and how often is the car washed are all factors and there are many more.

We are all well used to seeing the build up of brake dust on alloy wheels but what about the car paintwork.  Under braking minute hot particles are shed and they do not just sit on the wheels many such particles burn their way into the lacquer of the paintwork, for many this is unseen or not a problem they care about.  If you want to get a car to concourse standard and keep it there such contaminants in the paintwork can be an issue.

Anyone who drives on a daily basis will see a cars that look exceptional for their age and ones that look as though they have spent all of their very short life on a building site.  Much of this is down to the individual who owns or drives the car but like so many things in life if the aim is to make a new car look showroom condition for as long as possible it takes a fair bit of knowledge and hard work, unless of course you book into the local car detailer once or twice a year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

If I wax the car with Collinite 476 can I wash afterwards with my regular shampoo that I shared above or I need to use specific shampoo? 
Thanks 🙏 

You can wash it with regular car shampoo. I use either Meguiars, or autoglym. PH neutral ones are best for longevity of the wax. I also use snowfoam, but that’s optional. You will LOVE the 476s Tony, it’s a remarkably durable wax! 

I find it cheaper on eBay, often with an applicator pad and / or a polishing towel. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Gray86 said:

You can wash it with regular car shampoo. I use either Meguiars, or autoglym. PH neutral ones are best for longevity of the wax. I also use snowfoam, but that’s optional. You will LOVE the 476s Tony, it’s a remarkably durable wax! 

I find it cheaper on eBay, often with an applicator pad and / or a polishing towel. 

Thank you 👍

I could write pages on this, anyhow....

The key to keeping paintwork in good condition is care during the wash process. Snowfoam and a pressure washer may seem ott, but the more dirt you can remove without touching the better (ps - you can just use a pressure sprayer with APC too - it will do a similar job). Then prep, I generally properly clean my cars a couple of times a year - Snow Foam, fallout remover (korrosol), wash, clay, polish, Sealant/wax. Seems to do the trick. 476 mentioned above is great as it 845 and I find it easier to apply and seems to have similar durability.

I enjoy the process if you don't and just want a clean protected car as quick as possible recommend:

SnowFoam/APC, Fallout remover such as korrosol , wash, clenser such as BH Cleanser Fluid, turtle wax hybrid solutions coating  done. 🙂

PS - this won't fill swirls, if you need that I've used Cleanser Polish to great effect but the sealant won't last as long. Really any marks just need machine polishing out but that's a whole next level 🙂

• Like 2

On 2/22/2022 at 8:24 PM, Hornet3D said:

There are products that you can use to wash microfibre cloths  that are designed for the purpose and they do tend to extend the life a little.

I just use liquid non-bio wash, extra rinse and most importantly no fabric softener (it clogs the fibres)!

Tumble dryer really makes a difference too

2 hours ago, tapir said:

I just use liquid non-bio wash, extra rinse and most importantly no fabric softener (it clogs the fibres)!

Tumble dryer really makes a difference too

There are also products such as Gyeon Q2M Towel wash which £13.50 for 500ml which, at the recommended dose of 50ml per 8Kg load, gives 10 washes per bottle or £1.35 per wash (wow ain't I great at maths).   I guess it's worth is also linked to how much you pay for your microfibre cloths in the first place.

Then again there is also those cloths that will one shot if you are applying many of the new ceramic coats.  They tend to have a good life on the car but the down side is the cloths and applicators go hard so they are of no further use.  That leaves the dilemma in buying high quality cloths but it is going to be thrown after one use, then again most of the products supply the cloths anyway.

3 hours ago, tapir said:

I could write pages on this, anyhow....

The key to keeping paintwork in good condition is care during the wash process. Snowfoam and a pressure washer may seem ott, but the more dirt you can remove without touching the better (ps - you can just use a pressure sprayer with APC too - it will do a similar job). Then prep, I generally properly clean my cars a couple of times a year - snow foam, fallout remover (korrosol), wash, clay, polish, Sealant/wax. Seems to do the trick. 476 mentioned above is great as it 845 and I find it easier to apply and seems to have similar durability.

I enjoy the process if you don't and just want a clean protected car as quick as possible recommend:

SnowFoam/APC, Fallout remover such as korrosol , wash, clenser such as BH Cleanser Fluid, turtle wax hybrid solutions coating  done. 🙂

PS - this won't fill swirls, if you need that I've used Cleanser Polish to great effect but the sealant won't last as long. Really any marks just need machine polishing out but that's a whole next level 🙂

Thanks for that a very detailed wash process with recommendations which is always useful as these products a seldom cheap and some are complete rip offs, none in your list mind. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hornet3D said:

There are also products such as Gyeon Q2M Towel wash which £13.50 for 500ml which, at the recommended dose of 50ml per 8Kg load, gives 10 washes per bottle or £1.35 per wash (wow ain't I great at maths).   I guess it's worth is also linked to how much you pay for your microfibre cloths in the first place.

Then again there is also those cloths that will one shot if you are applying many of the new ceramic coats.  They tend to have a good life on the car but the down side is the cloths and applicators go hard so they are of no further use.  That leaves the dilemma in buying high quality cloths but it is going to be thrown after one use, then again most of the products supply the cloths anyway.

Don’t waste microfibre cloths when I use waterless wash wax. They get put in washing machine, no softener added, they come out ready to dry and use.

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

Don’t waste microfibre cloths when I use waterless wash wax. They get put in washing machine, no softener added, they come out ready to dry and use.

I have got about 30 of them in the garage so I don't run out can't wait for the warmer weather the will be polished every week 

I have to be honest but I am heavily biased against waterless wax, that may be irrational and could well be an age thing in that, when I started detailing many years ago, the idea of a waterless wax would have been madness.   My bias may also be strengthen by the fact love the whole process of detailing a car, even if my attempts might be regarded as being amateur, right from the prepping to the final polish or coat I love it.

I know that some people swear by these waterless waxes and I have watched loads of videos of the products being used without the sky falling in but I don't think I will ever feel easy using them. 

• Like 1

Paul, I presume you specifically mean the “waterless wash” part?  I am an advocate of waterless wash and wax, but don’t rely on the waterless wash part….. it is not compulsory. I wash my car before I use my product, always have done…. And I mean for about 15 years now. The original waterless wash and wax product was an American import from Amour and I was purchasing from QVC. It’s come a long way since then, clearly better results, but just as easy to apply and get the result. Unless you try it, without the waterless wash part, you won’t realise how easy it to get a shine.  One popular name given to it just a few years ago was “Showroom Shrine”. You can imagine a family walking into a car showroom and everyone touching the car, some with sticky fingers.  Once gone, salesman gets the squirty waterless wash and wax, two ricks and the car is sparkling clean again. 

I've used various shampoos from Meguiars, Autoglym and even humble soap stick over the years all done the job, but I am not an ultra bufty, just want a clean car. I used the waterless wash n wax as well, I was a sceptic, but it does a good job, I use it mainly in the summer months when cars get dusty/light dirt. Use Bilt Hamber clay bars as well, sceptical at first, but impressive results for what I thought was a clean car. Sometimes I love spending ages cleaning a car, so have products to do that, but like the quick option as well, cos sometimes muggins gets to do 2 or 3 family cars in one go, if only I got the same rates as the local car wash.

2 hours ago, Catlover said:

Paul, I presume you specifically mean the “waterless wash” part?  I am an advocate of waterless wash and wax, but don’t rely on the waterless wash part….. it is not compulsory. I wash my car before I use my product, always have done…. And I mean for about 15 years now. The original waterless wash and wax product was an American import from Amour and I was purchasing from QVC. It’s come a long way since then, clearly better results, but just as easy to apply and get the result. Unless you try it, without the waterless wash part, you won’t realise how easy it to get a shine.  One popular name given to it just a few years ago was “Showroom Shrine”. You can imagine a family walking into a car showroom and everyone touching the car, some with sticky fingers.  Once gone, salesman gets the squirty waterless wash and wax, two ricks and the car is sparkling clean again. 

Your presumption is correct it is the waterless part that gives me the shivers, the rest of the package is fine.  Clearly your way of using it gets around that and makes prefect sense particularly if you are happy with the shine and with so little effort.

I have just received a BigBoi BlowR Mini which is the car version of a hair dryer and I had to have a play, it is fantastic.  Not sure how it would work on larger car without a decent finish but I was able to dry the Aygo in around 15 minutes.  The jet of air just blows the beads of water off the car and it also appears to dry behind badges and the like. Certainly a lot less back breaking than a towel which is a real plus at my age.

So after two weeks of ownership the new car has most of the tech I wanted fitted and it is beginning to look the sort of car I would own.

Car P1.JPG

Car P2.JPG

Car P3.JPG

• Like 3

Mine could be its twin had mine 5 weeks ago really pleased with colour choice 

4 hours ago, Dave the aygo said:

Mine could be its twin had mine 5 weeks ago really pleased with colour choice 

It seems to be a popular choice, I have seen two or three twins around town already.  Mine was an ex-demonstrator so the only choice I had really was take it or leave it and I was more than happy to take it. 

One good thing about having so many painted surfaces on the inside of the Aygo is you can use the same treatment inside as on the outside paintwork.  Just finished inside painted areas including inside each door now all I need to finish is the rest of the trim which needs something quite different.  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links