Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2015/2016 Rav4 Hybrid, 2.0 D4D or petrol?

Wheels2022

Hi all

I am wanting to get a 2015/2016 Rav4 automatic but im not sure which motor i should go for? Im not wanting to spending more than about £18 000.

Anybody out there have any constructive feedback on which engine is better and will serve me longer with regular maintenance?

The idea of the hybrid intrigues me, but im concerned as all those models have considerable high mileage for the year model.

The November 2015 update had the BMW N47 diesel replace the Toyota diesel engine.

Would stump for the hybrid if you can - Can't beat them for an automatic. High mileage isn't so bad in hybrids and diesel; diesels are built for it, and hybrids aren't running the engine as much so the engine's real mileage won't be as much as the odo says.

Would lean away from the diesel - It is a lot better on fuel than the petrol and has a lot more grunt, but with the way diesel costs are going and the general demonization of diesel I feel it's going to be an increasing pain in the proverbial to take one anywhere near a city. Also the emissions control gubbins, esp things like the DPF, DMF and EGR, have made them a lot less reliable for anything other than regular motorway runs compared to diesels.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cyker said:

Would stump for the hybrid if you can - Can't beat them for an automatic. High mileage isn't so bad in hybrids and diesel; diesels are built for it, and hybrids aren't running the engine as much so the engine's real mileage won't be as much as the odo says.

Would lean away from the diesel - It is a lot better on fuel than the petrol and has a lot more grunt, but with the way diesel costs are going and the general demonization of diesel I feel it's going to be an increasing pain in the proverbial to take one anywhere near a city. Also the emissions control gubbins, esp things like the DPF, DMF and EGR, have made them a lot less reliable for anything other than regular motorway runs compared to diesels.

Thanks Cyker. Will check what hybrids I can get my hands on. 

Do you know if I can easily replace the head unit? I want one with android auto. Or would this interfere with other functions on the car? 

7 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The November 2015 update had the BMW N47 diesel replace the Toyota diesel engine.

Is that a good thing? 

Would I have any reason to consider a VW Tiguan 2016 diesel / petrol instead of the Tav 4? 

I have had a mate of nine suggest I look at the VW

Being a diesel it'd have the same downsides as a RAV4 diesel, but aside from that VWs tend to have nicer interiors than Toyotas but have become less reliable and harder to work on. Don't know anyone with a Tiguan so couldn't comment specifics! Would have better luck in a VW forum probably...

Just be careful, as 2016 is right around when 'dieselgate' happened, and I know some people whose diesel VW was recalled for a software update after that time, which then crippled the car's performance and mpg.

Toyota are "hybrid only" in the 4.5 - hybrid is the way to go if you can find the right car within your budget. And all hybrids are 'automatic'.

You asked for an automatic - is that critical to you?

Do you want FWD or AWD?

What journey profile do you expect to do - miles per year and mix of journey lengths.

I had a 2013 2.2 D-CAT Automatic AWD which I ran for 7 years - it never put a foot wrong, and, for a diesel, was a lovely car to drive. But I won't recommend a modern diesel because they may have issues as a result of the emissions control systems that are fitted, and I'd recommend against a diesel if you are doing only short journeys - they need regular, longer journeys to keep them in good order. But if you want a diesel automatic, I believe that the 2.2 is your only option.

Toyota also offered their own 2.0 diesel, which was ultimately replace by the BMW derived diesel. IIRC they are all manual and, ultimately, FWD only - i.e. they provide the more economic motoring option.

The 2.0 VVTi petrol has been regarded as pretty much bomb proof through the generations of RAV4. AFAIK they are automatic (CVT), AWD only. If you wanted a recommendation for the lowest risk non-hybrid option that's what I'd go for. But you'll pay a little more at the pumps which might be a consideration if you are a higher mileage driver.

Good luck.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, philip42h said:

Toyota are "hybrid only" in the 4.5 - hybrid is the way to go if you can find the right car within your budget. And all hybrids are 'automatic'.

You asked for an automatic - is that critical to you?

Do you want FWD or AWD?

What journey profile do you expect to do - miles per year and mix of journey lengths.

I had a 2013 2.2 D-CAT Automatic AWD which I ran for 7 years - it never put a foot wrong, and, for a diesel, was a lovely car to drive. But I won't recommend a modern diesel because they may have issues as a result of the emissions control systems that are fitted, and I'd recommend against a diesel if you are doing only short journeys - they need regular, longer journeys to keep them in good order. But if you want a diesel automatic, I believe that the 2.2 is your only option.

Toyota also offered their own 2.0 diesel, which was ultimately replace by the BMW derived diesel. IIRC they are all manual and, ultimately, FWD only - i.e. they provide the more economic motoring option.

The 2.0 VVTi petrol has been regarded as pretty much bomb proof through the generations of RAV4. AFAIK they are automatic (CVT), AWD only. If you wanted a recommendation for the lowest risk non-hybrid option that's what I'd go for. But you'll pay a little more at the pumps which might be a consideration if you are a higher mileage driver.

Good luck.

Hi Philip

Thanks for the reply. 

Auto is not critical, just a nice to have.

Have just moved up to Lincolnshire from London, and my mileage will be average of about 10000 miles a year with a mix of short and long trips. 

Toyota up the road from me have the following https://listerslincoln.usedcars.toyota.co.uk/en/used-toyota/Toyota/Rav-4-Diesel-Estate/22-D-CAT-Invincible-5dr-Auto-hkcszw2?mkey=46-500021-200350&groupTrim=1&customer=46-500894-299092||46-502014-504108||46-502014-504108&unitSystem=imperial&currency=GBP&useCustomModels=1&vehiclestatus=100||120||130&sort=price%3AASC&limiter=dkey46-502014-504108%3A10&manufacturer=60&price_type_switch=on&mcategory=all&model=1271&vehicle=vehicleMDX-HKCSZW2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links