Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

That 12v battery (again!)

AlJ

Just now, Andrew Harrison said:

They should have a recall if that is the case because they will lose repeat customers forever but they won't 

Recalls are for safety related issues. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, anchorman said:

Exactly, my safety is in doubt from the wife for buying a car that won't start when she needs it  😉

• Haha 9

3 hours ago, Andrew Harrison said:

Exactly, my safety is in doubt from the wife for buying a car that won't start when she needs it  😉

It’s frustrating Andrew but easily solved.  There’s plenty of info on the forum.  If you approach Toyota on a safety tack, you might as well try doing it when the windscreen washers want filling up.  If you fit a £75 Yuasa Battery it will cure it.  If you go down the warranty route, the best you’ll get is another of the same.   If you get it sorted, you’ll haves top notch car.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Andrew Harrison said:

I have a low mileage 21 Yaris and had this problem,

Mine has about 20kmiles now, and I didn't have any problem until last summer, when the car was approx 18 months "old", I left the car 3 weeks without starting. I'd left it previously for two weeks and I didn't have a problem. Usually, the car gets a decent run every few days.

2 hours ago, anchorman said:

It’s frustrating Andrew but easily solved.  There’s plenty of info on the forum.  If you approach Toyota on a safety tack, you might as well try doing it when the windscreen washers want filling up.  If you fit a £75 Yuasa battery it will cure it.  If you go down the warranty route, the best you’ll get is another of the same.   If you get it sorted, you’ll haves top notch car.  

It's possible that I was joking re the wife

• Like 2

@Stopeter44 Peter what you relate is a classic failure route.

Theorising:

in the fortnight apway your Battery voltage has reduced as residual power demand has drained it.  Sufficient power remained available to activate the system. 

After the 3 weeks away, best case, the residual drain meant the  system could not be activated.

Worse case, the first period had lead to Battery damage and the second caused cell damage that is irreparable and it may not work after the next 2 weeks break.

4 hours ago, anchorman said:

If you fit a £75 Yuasa battery it will cure it.  If you go down the warranty route, the best you’ll get is another of the same.   If you get it sorted, you’ll haves top notch car.  

Might cure it rather than will cure it

Another of the same,  maybe.  But why not ask your garage?  I didn't know any different about different makes but my garage fitted a greater capacity Battery 42 vice 35.

If they do offer the same then ask them to provide the more expensive Battery if you pay the difference. 

• Like 3

Out of curiosity, am I the only person here who has a factory-fitted 12v Battery that hasn't failed yet??

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Out of curiosity, am I the only person here who has a factory-fitted 12v battery that hasn't failed yet??

No, you're not! 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Incidentally, I found a note in the App FAQ regarding Smart Keys that may well have wider relevance.   Apparently the car goes to sleep after 9 days.

That might of course only relate to the Smart Key as it still needs to listen for Climate Control, Flash Hazards, and activate the alarm.

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Out of curiosity, am I the only person here who has a factory-fitted 12v battery that hasn't failed yet??

I had a 21 Yaris and a 72 Cross and neither did.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Andrew Harrison said:

They should have a recall if that is the case because they will lose repeat customers forever but they won't 

Totally agree, main point for me and am guessing many others is Toyota's reputation for reliability being the reason for choosing them.

• Like 2

I'd rather have easily fixable issue like the one with the 12v Battery which is very DIYable rather than struggle with wet timing belt clogging the oil intake and destroying the engine 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Worse case, the first period had lead to battery damage and the second caused cell damage that is irreparable and it may not work after the next 2 weeks break.

Yep, that's what I reckon. Pretty sure after the next two week away trip it won't start.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, anchorman said:

I had a 21 Yaris and a 72 Cross and neither did.  

But did you ever leave them a few days not driving ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Countryside said:

Don't ask confusing questions 😆

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Don't ask confusing questions 😆

😂👍

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Countryside said:

How many is a few?

1 hour ago, anchorman said:

How many is a few?

In my day a couple was two and a few was three and several was more. Many would be even more.

But recently it seems a couple can be more than two, so a few must be several. Logically several would replace many, but several is too many letters for young people to string together so isn't used and I guess many is therefore the same as before.

Does that help?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, MikeSh said:

In my day a couple was two and a few was three and several was more. Many would be even more.

But recently it seems a couple can be more than two, so a few must be several. Logically several would replace many, but several is too many letters for young people to string together so isn't used and I guess many is therefore the same as before.

Does that help?

It does indeed 😁👍

• Haha 1

I thought of couple, couple or so, few, several when you needed both hands and many when you would need to take your socks off.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, MikeSh said:

Does that help?

A fella with a bad stammer went into a chemist shop.  He said “do you sell ffffff few matches”.  Then he said, “you thought I was going to say ffffff full box didn’t you?”.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

On 1/29/2024 at 12:20 PM, anchorman said:

Recalls can be officially enforced for safety reasons.....but there can also be a manufacturer recall too.

I see the dreaded dead Battery has occurred on a different thread.  Looks like a MY19 Corolla.  

I wonder if these dead batteries and occurring more in certain batches. 

2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

I see the dreaded dead battery has occurred on a different thread.  Looks like a MY19 Corolla.  

I wonder if these dead batteries and occurring more in certain batches. 

Poor chap. Dead Battery, can't open the doors and it's parked in a garage. Time to get out the angle grinder or buy some ratchet wheel dollies.

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links