Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris T sport instrument cluster

jncodan

Hello! I am a proud owner a low miles 2000 Toyota Echo 5 speed coupe. The rest of the world had different names and in the UK it was the Yaris. (US switched to the Yaris name in 2006.)

Anyway, in the us we have terrible instrument clusters with no factory tachometer.  I found the Echo RS model in Canada has a TachomIeter, but lists kph over mph on the speedometer. Although not a major problem for me, I would expect this to be confusing for my fiancee who is currently daily driving the vehicle until I fix her 91 miata.

After exhaustive research I have found the 2000-2005 or 6 yaris t sports in the UK appear to have factory tachometers which appear to show the mph over kph. I find this really more applicable for me and even though I know it would require a ludicrous amount of wiring harness repinning or an adapter harness to be made to make it work I am planning on doing this modification once I can track down a cluster with plugs and wiring cutoffs as well as the trip reset buttons. My stock cluster has a push stalk and a button delete blank oval piece of plastic in the cluster bezel.

The question I have, is does the odometer record in kilometers or miles? or does that other button beside the trip reset allow you to toggle between the two? Any information an enthusiast could share with me would be appreciated.

The pictures attached are of the crappy cluster I have (The only positive thing is I will miss my analog fuel (petrol) gauge.)

The second is the style I would like to switch to. 

The echo pictured is actually my echo. Purchased bone stock, and now lightly modified.

echo crap cluster.jpg

echo rs cluster.jpg

echo pic.jpg

Hmm that's a good question... the digital dash for the Mk1 Yaris allowed you to switch between kph and mph by pressing the display-brightness button repeatedly but I don't know about the analogue dash as that was only on the T-Sport - Maybe a T-Sport owner can try it!!

I will have a look at mine tomorrow afternoon to try the brightness button and report back.

• Like 2

Only thing i can think of is finding a set from a Vitz RS (NCP10 or NCP13) from Japan, shipping from the uk is going to be very expensive

• Like 1

Just tried mine, and it does not toggle between miles and kilometres with the brightness button.

So it reads in miles only.

I hope you can find a solution.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/8/2022 at 8:44 AM, Rhymes with Paris said:

Just tried mine, and it does not toggle between miles and kilometres with the brightness button.

So it reads in miles only.

I hope you can find a solution.

If the uk analog tsport reads in just miles for the speedometer and the odometer thats actually VERY GOOD for me! Your 2003 tsport is in the model year range of gauge packs that should fit in my vehicle.

On 4/7/2022 at 1:00 PM, flash22 said:

Only thing i can think of is finding a set from a Vitz RS (NCP10 or NCP13) from Japan, shipping from the uk is going to be very expensive

I am not to worried about the shipping price as the clusters I have found on eBay UK are very reasonable in price.  The problem is finding a UK breaker (I believe thats what they are called over there) who would be willing to  send me the cluster, along with the buttons in the oval cutout placed in the bottom of the bezel and the wiring pigtails (plugs with a significant amount of the loom, so I can either make an adapter harness or repin my existing harness. 

I am trying to go from this crappy cluster on top to the style on the bottom.

echo crap cluster.jpg

echo rs cluster.jpg

For a very long time I have been hunting for this cluster, thinking it came from a canadian Toyota Echo RS. Those have the same layout, but are all KPH over MPH speedometers with km odometers. 

Now I believe I have been looking for a UK Yaris T sport cluster this whole time, and it was just improperly labeled in a North American Echo forum!

This is getting very exciting for me!

Sorry, just reread the thread and realized I have reposted the same information and pictures again.

I am a bit off as I had gone down to Mexico for some cheap dental work and found out I needed a wisdom tooth removed. 

The medications have made me a little off.

Are the instrument clusters 'handed'?

I'm sure my Mk1's instrument tunnel was slightly right-facing because that's where the driver sits, so not sure if the instrument clusters will 'fit'. a LHD one..?

They list them as RHD and LHD, iirc the difference is in the clear plastic lens

As for wiring, it depends on what you have in the car it should be plug and play - 18 and 22 pin

echo diagram

insp.pdf

Jncodan , hope you got some good tequila while in Mexico 🍸

A couple of things have come to mind.

One being the toggling from miles to kilometres being absent on mine via the brightness button may not mean it is nowhere.

The reason I say this is soon after I joined here my trip computer was in ltr/km mode and flash (and others) kindly helped me figure out how to change it to MPG.

So it is possible it may be able to be toggled somewhere else that I don't know about.

The other thing is that your photo of the cluster that you want lower picture,is slightly different from mine, not sure if mine is a facelift version, so that may be the reason.

So will get a picture of mine tomorrow afternoon and pop it on here for you to compare.

I did not want you to chase the wrong cluster for it not to work.

• Like 1

MPG/KM is for trip only with the analogue gauges, op's main issue is having MPH as the main scale (Canada use KPH)

• Like 1

After doing more research I believe you are right, rhymes with paris, the one I have pictured is, I believe, a 2001-2002 Yaris t-sport cluster which features a simpler design and a plain back background. The facelift model which is still 2003-2005 on your side of the pond had a busier design that appears to have a checkerboard or faux carbon fiber background with many more tick marks. I believe the pre facelift model would be the simplest for my vehicle. The only thing I prefer about the later model is it appears to have a tsport logo of some kind.... at least thats what I can tell from the pics.

As far as the lhd vs the rhd I believe that transition is actually handled by the binnacle that the cluster is mounted into. The centralized location was lauded for its ability to make drivers return their eyes to the roadway faster making  it safer.  In actuality, The dashboard design is, I believe modular, this is why the driver and passenger sides of the dashboards in echos/ mk 1 yaris look the same.  If you take the firewall/steering wheel connections out of the equation, the main dash is the same. the only difference to my knowledge is the binnacle, the firewall, and which side they mounted the gloveboxes/steering wheel.

Everything else looks symmetrical to me.

i would guess toyota would do this to save money.  I would.

So if I am understanding correctly the top one here is the 2001-2002 uk tsport cluster. (My personal preference)

Bottom is the 2003-2005.

I am still very surprised. I thought all the vehicles in the UK were in km/kph. Is this variance due to it being a sportier version? Is this a Toyota UK thing?

mark 1 tsport.png

mark 1 tsport facelift.jpg

4 hours ago, flash22 said:

They list them as RHD and LHD, iirc the difference is in the clear plastic lens

As for wiring, it depends on what you have in the car it should be plug and play - 18 and 22 pin

echo diagram

insp.pdf 90.49 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for this, I have saved it to my computer. Is this echo specific? I perused it rather rapidly, I didn't see a color coded wiring diagram. I wonder if this document is the same or different for a mk 1 pre facelift yaris tsport.

I have seen information from canadians that have been able to switch plug and play from the plain speedo to the echo rs speedo tach combo. That did require staying within their own years. 

If you wanted to put in the facelift gauge pack, you would be dealing with more wiring issues.  There are also issues with abs vs non abs models and some people needed to get a tach signal from elsewhere. if the gauge wiring for the UK mk 1 tsport 2001-2002 is exactly the same as my echo coupe, I will be extremely happy!

After inspecting some images, the upper dash board is not symmetrical, and the binnacle appears to be mounted a little bit closer to the driver... as far as I can tell, to clear the more space for the passenger side airbag.  looking at the gauge clusters, they appear to be symmetrical on either side in depth... I still believe the lhd rhd aspect is handled by the plastic bulge in the center which the cluster is mounted into, rather than the cluster itself.  Even though the US had no echos with the buttons in front of the cluster we still have a blank round oval built into the bezel where those buttons would go.

I would post pictures of my own dash/interior, (with my modifications) but the fiancee has my echo at work with her.

• Like 1

No dude we use mph same as you! :laugh: 

The UK is a bit weird; AFAIK we're the only country that uses Imperial AND metric, and we mix it up in such awkward ways. For some reason we use mph for the road speeds, but litres for fuel! Makes manual mpg calculations a bit trickier... and our gallons are different to your gallons too! :wacko: :laugh: 

The 'tunnel' is separate from the instruments so it is possible the instruments from a RHD car can just be mounted in a LHD car if he direction it's facing is determined by where it mounts and not the instrument cluster itself - It's been a while since I had a Mk1 so I can't remember what it looks like (I only had it apart to get at the head unit!

yup. the head unit is very low Cyker. It makes it very hard to look at. I have a 7" Blaupunkt dvd screen in there hooked up to a backup cam and it is very odd to look at. she loves it for backing up, I just use it to make sure there is nothing in the spot I am backing into, then use the old over the shoulder, rear view mirrors technique.

When I installed the head unit, I also installed Speakers in the dash, doors and rear deck.  Unfortunately I had to trim the door panels to make the Speakers fit! Those Speakers have since failed, and I am now having a hell of a time finding coupe door panels (longer than four door front panels) to restore the stock appearance since I upgraded those speakers to Rockford Fosgates which have no clearance issues. :bangin:

• Like 1

When I first got mine it looked like this. On Wednesday, she has the day off. I will try to get some pics of my interior as is now. (Those inner door panels are embarassing)

WHOOO! The T sport interior is NICE!  A little contrasting colors goes a long way! I have been unknowingly building a low rent T sport cloned by swapping out a lot of my interior components with Scion xA stuff from the junkyard. (The gauges are not interchangeable. at all, would require swapping all the plastic in the car!)

864784659_stockechodashboard.thumb.jpg.cbf11abbc23992a5dccc6443065e7b0f.jpg713201349_stockyaristsportdashboard.thumb.jpg.e454f4263bc2ddf254babbeafec8a561.jpg

I didnt want to flood this post with images so I created an album attached to my profile. Pardon the dustiness of my echo, it is a daily driver and she doesn't like cleaning! I will detail the echo soon. Anyhow my mods are visible there, the engine bay shots are showcasing the red silicone lines and the all aluminum 3 row racing style xA radiator I put in when I overhauled the a/c system. Everything else is cosmetic, performance or stereo related. The pedal kit is also xA upgrades as are most of the front seats and center console. couldn't get the silver xA knobs to fit my HVAC controls. the center armrest is from the xB. All interior and exterior light bulbs have been changed for leds except for dash and cluster lighting. I have a set of 1st gen prius 8 spoke alloys which are destined for this car along with new black OEM style extended truck lugs, but I need to recondition the wheels first. And get my fiancee back into her own car so she can stop trashing my daily driver. 🤣

In the Interior comparison pics above, In between the two center air vents, my car only has a clock.  On the tsport interior, there appears to be radio controls, but when I zoom in (its somewhat  blurry) the button in the lower right hand corner appears to say "trip". 

Does it have anything to do with the cluster? I hope not.

40 minutes ago, jncodan said:

In the Interior comparison pics above, In between the two center air vents, my car only has a clock.  On the tsport interior, there appears to be radio controls, but when I zoom in (its somewhat  blurry) the button in the lower right hand corner appears to say "trip". 

Does it have anything to do with the cluster? I hope not.

No, just the trip computer display and radio/cd info.

IMG_20220412_162502.thumb.jpg.7ed028e01d5b3047e0a28a42fa3a3ad1.jpg

This my Tsport pod, lacking a wipe with dash cleaner I'm afraid.

So no lustre on the cluster 😀

Edited by Rhymes with Paris
Post incomplete
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

ok. thanks rhymes with paris.  I am going to be keeping a keen eye on eBay for a mk1 yaris tsport cluster  with all the 01-02 with all the bits and bobs I need to be certain I can make it work... I hope to find one soon.  Currently there are two facelift clusters available, but only one of the type I am seeking,,,, no bits and bobs available, and its missing the whole back panel. circuit board completely exposed.  Plenty of those digital clusters available though.... (not my style).

Thanks for all the info guys! I appreciate it! I will be keeping an eye on this listing in case anyone chimes in with more info that either has an 01-02 T-sport, a line on the parts I need, or anything else I can help with.

I just finished installing a new driver's side window in the fiancee's na miata.  Tomorrow I will be installing an adjustable intermittent wiper stalk from 08 corolla S in my echo to add that function to the echo's windshield wipers. 

I have started looking at websites for breakers in the UK. Top of the list is Breakeryard.com .  Does anyone have experience with this breaker? This one appears to be happy to do business with US customers from what I can see on their website.  

Does anyone have any recommendation on breakers with websites in the UK? I welcome recommendations and also wouldn't mind hearing which ones you guys think I should avoid!

A lot of these websites are just brokers, and you end up paying their fee

IIRC, it's just the bezel and brackets that angle the instruments i have seen the bezels for sale on US eBay

IIRC the Yaris verso aka funcargo uses the same cluster

i will see what i can find

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links