Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hks Mushroom Filter

Humayun

My friend bought an HKS mushroom filter for his EVO 8 but was unable to fit it. So he kindly offered it to me, only if i could get in onto my EP91 Sportif.

The pipe to the throttle body is 3", the pipe on the filter is 4", can any1 please advise me in how to adapt the filter to fit my car?

Thanx :thumbsup:

HKS? I'll put it in the bin before it messes up your engine ...

HKS? I'll put it in the bin before it messes up your engine ...

What do u mean? Surely an airfilter wont ruin the engine!! Ive got an HKS panel filter in there at the moment.

Could u please explain whats wrong with the HKS filter.

Thanx

Clicky ..

also after a certain time they disintergrate and the foam gets sucked into the engine ..

Clicky ..

also after a certain time they disintergrate and the foam gets sucked into the engine ..

Thanx mate thats very useful. I went to a jap tuning garage in Fareham once and they also recommended the Apexi filter

:thumbsup:

I can't vouch for the validity of the test .. it's one of those "on the net" things .. but I've had both HKS and Apexi .. and the HKS just didn't filter ..

I had a TRD filter which started crumbling away...

Do the HKS filters just generally suck because a friend of mine has one on a yaris and thinks its the best thing since sliced bread and he paid about £130ish for it!!!!!!

This is good news to wind him up then!!

If you want an engine to last air filtration is vital, and toyota air filters and oil filters are very good, it all goes to making very reliable cars, if your upgrading make sure it keeps up to toyotas very high standards.

I would have hoped that a Toyota Race Development filter would be really good. When it started falling apart it went in the bin...

Dont really know about trd but toyota stock filters are very good at there job. Their oil filters are the best out there.

I paid a small fortune for a HKS racing suction kit and it was crap. I got my car rolling road tuned and the first thing they said to me was to get rid of the HKS kit, we tested it against a K&N filter that was about a third of the price and I gained over 2BHP at the wheels with the K&N. Needless to say I threw the HKS kit in the bin and swapped it for a K&N.

im planning on getting one of those weapon r dragon intakes for meh cynos - r they any good ?

where can you get a K&N kit for our lil babys?? an are they hard to fit etc.... cos i cant see where it wud go wiv the pipin an air box etc

HKS filters will fall to bits over time, they have a pretty short lifespan in them before the shroom needs replaced. They do make pretty good gains but its at the cost of filtration. They filter like crap, and since most cars use a hot wire MAF this can become a big (and expensive) problem.

K&N are pretty good, but after cleaning them you have to re-oil the filter, again oil going onto a hot ickle wire is also a bad thing. Although K&N post some pretty good gains.

Blitz\quickshift or any filter that uses a metal mesh tend to be crap. Good power gains, crap filtration. Dust and crap that doesn't get trhough tends to block up the filter resulting in a 'dead' area of filter, which kind of defeats the purpose. They are however, oil less and very easy to clean, ie take off car run a hose through them and clean with compressed air to force water out.

Pipercross have serious issues with build quality, ie they are probably the worst filter I've had the misfortune to use.

Green are quite good, slightly below K&N with similar pros and cons.

Apexi are by far the best, best power, best noise, best build quality, a 'dry' filter cone (ie no oil). Just the best, con is getting them to fit your application often resulting in custom jobs.

The more I try various filters, cone or panel or even box filters. The more I think its a big marketing gimic. Believe it or not, the restriction of an OE setup is not the paper filter, its actually the box, cold air feed or the rest of the intake. Fix these and you are sorted, plus you save money and can just chuck your cheap OE filter away when you want.

Induction kits are normally bought for the noise more than anything else, I believe, unless properl thought out and installed they are a waste of money. Maybe good on the stage or track but for town driving probably a bad idea.

Just my shillings worth mind :).

so where abouts cud a get a apexi one,an wud i need to change it if i changed to the 4efte engine,cos on the taka kaira site theres 2 differnt ones,

Thanks in advanced

Quite a few places sell Apexi filters, this linky is to a universal filter sold by Funky Product. They also do a car specific kit for the Starlet, chances are its for the turbo starlet. Toyota like most companies try to share as many parts between models as possible so its a good chance the filter will fit the NA Starlet as well. As the MAF (AFM) probably will have the same dimensions.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links