Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2nd key

David Dougherty

Active trim was base model on the mk3, icon next one up which has keyless start. I don't get that design model do not come with keyless start button, that is a MK4 model too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

If a previous owner stall had the second key, how sure would you be that your new car was secure?

I wouldn't buy a car if it only had one key,  if the previous owner had broken the spare  i would have expected them to replace it to help them sell the car a lack of doing that would put me right off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mojo1010 said:

Active trim was base model on the mk3, icon next one up which has keyless start. I don't get that design model do not come with keyless start button, that is a MK4 model too. 

I believe the very first design spec in 2020 had push start button and shortly after was removed and back to standard ignition key. It’s a deal breaker for me, one of the reasons I like Toyota  hybrids is the smart entry and push start button. , sadly not available on all . 

• Like 1

My icon doesn't have keyless entry, so cannot wait till my new MK4 excel arrive next year sometime? 🙂 Auto folding mirror is also fab to know the car has been locked. The huge arrays of things better than the MK3. 

A relative of mine had the MK2 t spirit which had the push button start, I thought it was cool at the time. There's no reason not to have this feature on current Yaris now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max_Headroom said:

I wouldn't buy a car if it only had one key,  if the previous owner had broken the spare  i would have expected them to replace it to help them sell the car a lack of doing that would put me right off.

The car the OP has bought does have two keys, it’s just that only one key is remote entry .

28 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

The car the OP has bought does have two keys, it’s just that only one key is remote entry .

I know, if you read through the full thread you will see others  bought cars with single keys.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

I know, if you read through the full thread you will see others  bought cars with single keys.

Then, this is count like one key only. There should be two remote key fobs and eventually a third valet key or whatever they called. Definitely not right and not fair from seller side. Everyone buying a used car these days should push a lot for two keys as part of the deal, price reduction or walk away. I a, not prepared to pay £000 for spare key, something that usually comes with the car. 👍

• Like 6

I think all car nowadays comes with 2 remotes, when a used come with 1 remote it usually means the owner lost 1. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

I a, not prepared to pay £000 for spare key, something that usually comes with the car.

Not only that expense but you also don't know if the original owner still has the original key, i know it's highly unlikely but imagine trying to explain to your insurance company that your car was stolen from outside your house and there is no sign of a break in (broken glass etc) i have a feeling they are going to suggest you left the car with the key in the ignition (insurance void no pay-out)

• Like 2

Years ago I remember walking away from a Fiat that was up for sale, back in the day when they had a red and a blue key. The seller was quite surprised when I refused to buy it without the red key.

The red was a master and the blue a slave.

• Like 5

Same, when I was looking for a 5-door Mk1 Yaris D4D, so many only had one key (Out of the 3 it originally came with!!). Some even only had the valet key, and the worst one was one that just had some aftermarket rando key. The dealer selling that one didn't even realize the car had remote central locking!!

The first thing I did when I finally got one was to have a 2nd master key made for it - After all the horror stories of people on here loosing their last key, I decided to try and avoid that as much as possible!

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 10/7/2022 at 2:44 AM, paul9 said:

Late to the party, but I just thought I'd mention Timpson's in the UK.

https://www.timpson.co.uk/services/car-keys

Hi, thank you for this.

I've just bought a 2-year-old Yaris and it came with 2 keys but the second one is not a fob so the alarm goes off when opening the car until you switch the ignition on. Very annoying. I doubt the Toyota-approved dealer will do a second key for free or for a decent price.

Timpson quoted me £150 for it, so worst case I'll do with them.

Before the sale, I actually asked if it comes with 2 keys and the salesman said yes it does. I cannot even complain as technically he didn't lie, and also on the official manual, the car comes with only one fob and one normal one.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, androbinuk said:

I've just bought a 2-year-old Yaris and it came with 2 keys but the second one is not a fob so the alarm goes off when opening the car until you switch the ignition on. Very annoying.

Hi, there is a setting (set by dealer, I believe) that disables the alarm when car is opened "manually". It was in the U.S. Workshop manual link I posted a few days ago.

Try Locksmith Link as they may be able to help. 

• Like 4

Funnily enough I was only showing somebody yesterday how the two different keys interact.   We did it inside my garage so the noise doesn’t disturb the neighbours.  I had the Mk4 design with one of each and it never once bothered me.  Like most people, the second key stayed in the house and I never had a need for it.  If that holds the car price down a couple of hundred quid then good.  I’ve got two big keyless remotes with the Cross and where is the second key?  Disabled in the fancy little box to stop some scumbag skimming the thing and the only time it will ever get used is to test it from time to time.  If in a hypothetical situation my wife left the car somewhere I was to collect it with the second bog standard key, the key does what a key needs to do, unlock the car and start it and I can ignore the alarm for the 10 seconds it takes to do it.  I’ve heard loads of stories where the owner has gone to a car with a little used second key to find the Battery flat.  They don’t think to put screenwash in when the frost comes then moan when they blow the fuse so they won’t change key batteries in a second fob.  By the way, I’ve moaned about the puny horn and pointed out the puny alarm sounder but they actually sound together when the alarm is triggered and they are surprisingly loud.  

• Like 2

On 7/12/2023 at 6:16 PM, androbinuk said:

Hi, thank you for this.

I've just bought a 2-year-old Yaris and it came with 2 keys but the second one is not a fob so the alarm goes off when opening the car until you switch the ignition on. Very annoying. I doubt the Toyota-approved dealer will do a second key for free or for a decent price.

Before the sale, I actually asked if it comes with 2 keys and the salesman said yes it does. I cannot even complain as technically he didn't lie, and also on the official manual, the car comes with only one fob and one normal one.

Ack that's annoying - Supposedly the single remote key was due to shortages, and the dealers are supposed to give a 2nd one free of charge at the customer's request, but it only applies to the original owner! I always tell people to make sure they get a 2nd full key (Smart or remote depending) as a condition of the sale, esp. from a main dealer.

If you're on good terms with the salesman you might be able to wheedle one out of them, but otherwise yea I can't imagine they'd honour the free 2nd key since you're not the original owner.

Just be careful with Timpsons as I don't think they do remote keys, just cloned ones like the 'dumb' key. Usually only dealers can get hold of the remote key blanks. TBH, for £150 I don't think the dealer is much more for a flip key. Just be glad you don't have a keyless fob as those cost around the same as a cheap laptop!!

On 7/12/2023 at 7:22 PM, jthspace said:

Hi, there is a setting (set by dealer, I believe) that disables the alarm when car is opened "manually". It was in the U.S. Workshop manual link I posted a few days ago.

Try Locksmith Link as they may be able to help. 

Yes, the dealer can set that, and I believe ODB2 tools like Carly and Carista can set it too.

10 hours ago, anchorman said:

I’ve got two big keyless remotes with the Cross and where is the second key?  Disabled in the fancy little box to stop some scumbag skimming the thing and the only time it will ever get used is to test it from time to time.

Haha snap! Mine is also sitting disabled in that pretentious bamboo box :laugh: 

It gets taken out once a year (Well, just under once a year due to my mileage!) as it's the key I give to the dealer come service time. Just to make sure it still works, and if it doesn't it's up to them to fix it! :laugh: 

• Like 4

Almost embarrassed to say this - picked up my new (to me) March 2022 Yaris Design spec and it came with two full keys - I was expecting one full key and one normal key.  Manual says it should be one of each.  Glad it's got keys instead of push start. Got push start on the MX5 and have to keep the keys in Faraday pouches as you can't "sleep" them!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, jthspace said:

Got push start on the MX5 and have to keep the keys in faraday pouches as you can't "sleep" them!

Fortunately Toyota give customers the option to turn it off using the key buttons or in more modern cars using the car settings menu.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Max_Headroom said:

Fortunately Toyota give customers the option to turn it off.

2022 models do, mine is 2018 😐

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jthspace said:

2022 models do, mine is 2018 😐

I edited the earlier post to start the video at the relevant place, have you tried the button press sequence to disable it?

16 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

I edited the earlier post to start the video at the relevant place, have you tried the button press sequence to disable it?

Sorry, was referring to the 2018 MX5. My Yaris has the "old fashioned" key blade (luckily). 

On 7/14/2023 at 8:09 PM, Cyker said:

Ack that's annoying - Supposedly the single remote key was due to shortages, and the dealers are supposed to give a 2nd one free of charge at the customer's request, but it only applies to the original owner! I always tell people to make sure they get a 2nd full key (Smart or remote depending) as a condition of the sale, esp. from a main dealer.

If you're on good terms with the salesman you might be able to wheedle one out of them, but otherwise yea I can't imagine they'd honour the free 2nd key since you're not the original owner.

Just be careful with Timpsons as I don't think they do remote keys, just cloned ones like the 'dumb' key. Usually only dealers can get hold of the remote key blanks. TBH, for £150 I don't think the dealer is much more for a flip key. Just be glad you don't have a keyless fob as those cost around the same as a cheap laptop!!

Thank you. I got quoted £200 from the main dealer, that is only £50 more than Timpson, but I really don't want to buy from them since the situation as I am really annoyed. I did ask for the second key and they say it would have it, but I didn't specify, that was really saleman!!! I'd rather go with another dealership.

What do you mean by dumb key from Timpsons? They said I would be able to use the remote as the main key, it simply will not be branded toyota.

Another solution for this would be a key car cover which is "only" £20 per year at the moment.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 6:16 PM, androbinuk said:

Hi, thank you for this.

If I was u, I would take it further. It's unreasonable to not give 2 remote keys with a 2 year old approved car. It's also unreasonable for them not to tell u that. 

Make a formal complaint via email, if no joy tell them u are contacting trading standards. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

If I was u, I would take it further. It's unreasonable to not give 2 remote keys with a 2 year old approved car. It's also unreasonable for them not to tell u that. 

Make a formal complaint via email, if no joy tell them u are contacting trading standards. 

I dont think there is a case if even the manual says one remote and one manual key?

Are we expected to read the manual before buying a car? I know this may not help, the salesman/dealership just have not been up front with customers on this. Had you or I been told of this, we would reconsider the purchase/need to factor in extra cost of the 2nd key. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links