Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2nd key

David Dougherty

It's definitely something that needs to be communicated better, but from 'the horse's mouth':

(NB: I mean as one of the resident forum experts and an actual employee of a Toyota franchise, I'm not saying DevonAygo is an actual horse! :eek:  )

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Cyker said:

Is that a thing?? I've seen keyring fobs where they beep back if someone wolf-whistles when I was a kid, but not ones that responds to a clap.

I could only find this video but it wont embed, i wonder if whistling would have worked on the ones we had back in the day.

Key Finding Keyrings - Locate your lost keys effectively. Just clap your hand to trigger your keyfinder wirelessly. Keyfinder receivingclapping sound signal will sound "WOOF" "WOOF" and LED will light up. Design protected by Area Plus Ltd.

11111re.thumb.JPG.274b1ee9aa55cc793588e825a8dd3e33.JPG2222222re.thumb.JPG.58d86a8efc1870f2c8b1ce71305eec11.JPG

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2023 at 6:27 AM, anchorman said:

How many times have you lost a key?  I can’t find mine frequently but that’s down to my age and clumsiness.   Never lost one yet and can clone a key with a cheap second key which also has the key code tab with it.  Are you sure you shouldn’t get a third key made in case you lose the first two 🤔😉

If you have two regular drivers of the same car you would want two "proper" keys and as has been said you are entitled to two.

12 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

If you have two regular drivers of the same car you would want two "proper" keys and as has been said you are entitled to two.

In that hypothetical situation you might yes although my wife drives ours quite a lot but as we can’t both drive it together we use the same key.  I’m not sure about a legal requirement to have two keys.  The word “entitled” has a lot of relevance these days.  I had a Mk4 Yaris for a year and really liked it.  It had one flip key with remote and one plain key.  That second key went in a drawer the day I got it and came out the day I traded it and I never gave it a second thought.  If somebody feels they need two remote keys that’s fine, all I’m saying is it isn’t insurmountable.  The sub key still unlocks and starts it and in some ways, reduces the chance of theft by skimming.  I question carrying two keys in case one gets lost. I think in that case is it better to carry three in case two get lost.  🤔

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, anchorman said:

In that hypothetical situation you might yes although my wife drives ours quite a lot but as we can’t both drive it together we use the same key.

I imagine most owners who share the car have their car key on the same ring as their door keys etc so having two remote keys would be much more convenient than taking it off every time the car was used by the other person.

As it says below you only get 2 fobs with the Keyless Go or Smart Entry and Keyless Go if it doesn't come with both you are perfectly within your rights to demand the second whether you put the "spare" in a drawer and never use it or not.

Seriously?? It surely should have come with 2 remote keys in this day and age! Even my Mk1 and Mk2 came with 2 remote keys!!

My Excel came with 2 Smart keys!

That can't be right!

Thats what you get with and non push button car, you only get 2 fobs with the Keyless Go or Smart Entry and Keyless Go

My wife doesn’t allow me to have a house key and unless I submit a special request, I have to be home before 9.00pm.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Jimota said:

My wife doesn’t allow me to have a house key and unless I submit a special request, I have to be home before 9.00pm.

Have you given any thoughts to trading her in for a newer model?  😄

Remember the days when we didn't used to lock our doors during the day  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

I imagine most owners who share the car have their car key on the same ring as their door keys etc so having two remote keys would be much more convenient than taking it off every time the car was used by the other person.

As it says below you only get 2 fobs with the Keyless Go or Smart Entry and Keyless Go if it doesn't come with both you are perfectly within your rights to demand the second whether you put the "spare" in a drawer and never use it or not.

The OP has a Design which comes with one remote key and one sub key.  Further down Cyker’s post you chose to quote it says “Edit: According to the manual that is right; Can't believe they'd be so cheap with the keys!”. 

45 minutes ago, anchorman said:

Further down Cyker’s post you chose to quote it says “Edit: According to the manual that is right; Can't believe they'd be so cheap with the keys!”. 

That's why i clarified it with 

Thats what you get with and non push button car, you only get 2 fobs with the Keyless Go or Smart Entry and Keyless Go

in the same post.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2023 at 3:30 PM, Cyker said:

I've seen keyring fobs where they beep back if someone wolf-whistles when I was a kid, but not ones that responds to a clap.

The wolf whistle would be a bit risky in this day and age tho'! :eek: 

<off topic>

Haha! Those whistle key finders were very popular with music teachers when half the classroom would start beeping during music lessons :toot:

• Haha 1

When we go away we take both keys. One is kept in the car just in case.   

On one occasion we lost the in-use key.  I had gone from the beach to the shops.  On the way back I went for a quick dip.  The key is still there.

Returning to the car, I picked up the necessary 'equipment' from the gutter and broke in and got the spare.  I think breaking in took only slightly longer than using the key.

Two spares in the car would have been useful 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I too take both keys on holiday, though no way leave the spare in the car for the above reason! Cannot lock the car with remote fob when the other key is inside the car, MK3&4. Leave one key at the accomodation! 

• Like 1

We often use both keys and then we visit diffrent shops within our 2 hours of free parking.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links