Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Global Recall Notice

DíarmuidIRL

Just off the phone with my Toyota rep here in Ireland, he says he got an email saying the launch of the car was on hold Europe wide due to a recall and had no further information.  I know the car has landed in some UK garages but he says now he doesn't expect to have a car for test drives until whatever the issue is, is resolved.  He is expecting a media announcement soon but I can't find anything online yet.

• Sad 1

If it’s true I’m assuming it’s not a safety recall as UK dealers are using their demonstration models. 
Or they had theirs fixed already as a priority. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Malop said:

If it’s true I’m assuming it’s not a safety recall as UK dealers are using their demonstration models. 
Or they had theirs fixed already as a priority. 

I don't know, he gave me a call as he promised me he'd have a car for a test drive next week after putting me off a couple of times over the last couple of weeks.  I have seen post on Twitter that showed a couple of bZ4s at a sustainability show over the weekend in Ireland but can't find any garages offering test drives

Still think I prefer a delay to delivery to fix something than have it delivered then recalled for a fix. 

• Like 1

its hard to tell as Irish sales/franchises are run by Toyota Ireland, the models and franchises are under their control, most of the cars are euro spec too

• Like 1

I hope Toyota reconsider the position of the dashboard instrument cluster and redesign the car. Most likely not, but this alone for me is a big deal and will put me off any eventual purchase. Same as model s plaid, stupid steering  yoke. What’s wrong with recent makes and models, cars are still vehicles and not planes, they drive on the road and does not fly, why they need all that nonsense?! 🤔🫢

• Like 1

Link to the article in the Sun below and photos of the article for anyone not wanting to click on the link. 
Interesting to note it says UK models not affected but delivery delays in place while they make sure. 
https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/18965676/worlds-largest-car-manufacturer-toyota-global-recall/amp/

B849E9F3-EBAC-4C6A-ABF7-269428950E0E.jpeg

7697A24D-099D-493F-9BD7-398B177418B1.jpeg

• Like 1

Another article with more details. Only 112 vehicles identified as affected. Does demonstrate Toyota’s emphasis on safety and reliability, other manufacturers may have only recalled the 112. 

https://www.asiafinancial.com/toyota-recalls-newly-released-ev-over-safety-issue

• Like 2

SAFETY RECALL 22TA06 (Interim
Notice 22TB06) - Certain 2023
Model Year bZ4X - DO NOT DRIVE -
Potential Loss of Vehicle Control
After low-mileage use, all of the hub bolts on a wheel on the subject vehicles can loosen to the point where the wheel can detach from the vehicle. If a wheel detaches from the vehicle while driving, it could result in a loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash. No one should drive these vehicles until the remedy is performed.
Remedy Not Available - Jun 23, 2022
Remedy - Toyota is currently investigating the cause of this issue. No remedy is available at this time. Until the remedy is available, no one should drive these vehicles until the remedy is performed. Until the remedy is available, any authorized Toyota dealer will pick up a vehicle and provide a loaner vehicle FREE

• Like 5

""The problem is to do with the wheel bolts which can work loose in certain situations."

So at least its not an electronic issue, i.e. some component that cant be replaced within a reasonable time frame. This at least sounds like a very resolvable problem.

Financial Times article here, looks like Toyota are pre-empting the general public like us stating the obvious 😉

https://www.ft.com/content/aab59edd-2a14-409c-8d31-6d64831f633f

“We are examining if tightening the bolts will solve the problem, or if any change in components is needed,” the company said. "

Not as if Tesla didn't have problems

• Like 1

Just undo the bolts, put some thread lock on them and tighten them up to the spec, job done😂👌🔩

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Just need to visit the Nordlock website 😉

Nord-Lock Wheel Nuts - Nord-Lock Group

Nord-Lock Wedge-Locking Washers - Nord-Lock Group

We use the Nordlock washers on a lot of the BT / Toyota forklift equipment, once the bolt is torqued up it wont ever come loose without you using tools.

Threadlock & nyloc nuts have proven not to be up to the task for equipment where vibration in operation is an issue. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I see the press are now running with the story big time. Obviously both Toyota and Subaru are affected by the issue. I'd have thought this would be a relatively easy fix after all they have produced a few cars over the years with wheels on? 😇

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, ernieb said:

If a wheel detaches from the vehicle while driving, it could result in a loss of vehicle control

This made me smile.😁

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Just undo the bolts, put some thread lock on them and tighten them up to the spec, job done😂👌🔩

I note the laugh 😄

However I wonder where the action that loosens the bolts comes from. 

Years ago, having dragged a caravan from Scotland, wrecked the jockey wheel driving from Zeebrugge to Luxembourg, we stopped in a Hypermarche. 

Having grossly overloaded the caravan I drove to a quieter part of the car park for lunch.  My wife walked and reported a funny rattle noise. 

I took the hub cap off and 3 bolts fell out.  The 4th was tight.  TG for hub caps, remember them. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, ernieb said:

If a wheel detaches from the vehicle while driving, it could result in a loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash.

Whoever issued that statement must have a degree in stating the obvious.

• Haha 1

Sadly, some people need to understand what those bolts do as they have little or no idea. As far as they are concerned they could be decorative.

• Like 2

New article today with some useful information. 

Japan's safety regulator said sharp turns and sudden braking could cause a hub bolt to loosen, raising the risk of a wheel coming off the vehicle. It said it was not aware of any accidents being caused by the defect.

Toyota had reported that one car, in particular, had been roughly handled. "We don't know who the driver was, but the driver drove the car very hard," the official said, adding that Toyota had found the problem, which affected only a few cars.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/toyota-subaru-shares-drop-after-ev-recall-announcements-2022-06-24/?fbclid=IwAR1oSfpYDv3dx_G-sXYSOV-tz075orvJpYMaZQqDXj2uqmOZ_1gaP5BYrEU

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trewithy said:

Whoever issued that statement must have a degree in stating the obvious.

When you are dealing with a worldwide audience, you have to state the obvious, you can't be ambiguous, too many people would not know the consequences 

• Like 1

Speaking of stating the obvious - because in this case I am really none to sure - what exactly is this problem?

I'm assuming that the wheel on a bZ4X are fixed in a pretty standard way and much the same as the RAV4 - which might be a dangerous assumption and in need of recall*. But in that case, the 'hub bolts' are threaded studs that are (should be) securely fixed into the hub. The wheel then sits on those studs, and is in turn, fixed in place by wheel nuts (one of which is typically a locking wheel nut but that is irrelevant).

The studs are secured in place in the factory - it's a bit of a gaff if they managed to get this 'wrong' ... but it would explain why they are scratching their heads rather than just saying that the dealers should "tighten them up properly".

Or am I missing the point completely? 🙂

Edit: * and a subsequent post suggests that Toyota have switched (back) to wheel studs for the bZ4X so my assumption is as incorrect as I feared - recalled! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wonder if the wheel studs are screwed in to the hub from the front & secured with threadlock OR spline fitment from the back? 

Yes, studs rather than bolts could well be a weakness. Hub and bolt is just 2 parts whereas hub, stud, and nut are 3 thus introducing an additional factor. 

Admittedly hanging a wheel in studs rather than balancing it on the hub and bolting it is easier. 

Is that why modern wheels tend to have 5 studs rather than 4 bolts? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Wonder if the wheel studs are screwed in to the hub from the front & secured with threadlock OR spline fitment from the back? 

Splines fitted from the back if they are same design as previous models. I believe these types of parts are universal design through out the most models and until an issue they does not change. BZ4X a new electric car with low rpm high torque, it might require completely redesigned wheel bearings and if they haven’t done that now is the time to do it. Munro live is the channel to follow and watch. These guys explain many things that can’t be seen or learned from everywhere. 👍