Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross Excel Long Term Review

Tom E Pattinson

On 9/22/2022 at 7:06 PM, IT Troll said:

With Apple CarPlay you can ask Siri to call someone in your contacts. Siri will read text messages to you and allow you to dictate a reply. I would have thought Android Auto would do similar. If you can't, or don't want to use these, then I guess you have to accept the limitations of the in-built system.

I now have a bigger data plan and am exploring AS with Smart Connect. I like the Google Sat Map.  It has a proper 3D display.  It  does not have camera earnings AFAIK.

It has allowed me to set a destination by voice command and  vocalised an inbound WhatsApp message.  Elsewhere Frosty has explained that wireless connection for an Android phone depends on the and not the car.

I have also got it to play Amazon music while using the Google map.  I have yet to figure out how to stop the music and switching to radio while retaining the Google mapping.

Update on fuel consumption, it is now adjacent to 60 mpg.  I have now done 4,000 miles.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

I have yet to figure out how to stop the Music and switching to radio while retaining the Google mapping.

The mode button on the right hand side of the steering wheel cycles through the available audio inputs, on mine one press goes from Amazon music to fm radio, two presses goes to dab and so on. Any instructions or alerts from mapping will still work as it dips the radio sound momentarily. Although I use an iPhone and the tomtom go app through smart connect I suppose android auto will be the same 

Ralph, thought that might be the case but didn't have time to experiment as weather and traffic at night made things interesting. 

🥵 had Yaris cross excel for six months, 21 model ex demonstrator, 8000 on clock,nothing but trouble with flat 12v Battery. Don’t do a lot of mileage as second car, probably 5000 a year if car was reliable. At insistence of dealer that low mileage is problem I have tried various combinations. Drove 15 miles, third motorway, rest town and city. Next day 50 miles to Yorkshire and back so mix of M65 country roads and town driving, three hours in total. Didnt  need to use it for 48 hours and when I did Battery was flat. Toyota Breakdown (AA) have been out five times in as many months. Dealer says Battery is ok.

def sorry I bought the car, considering going back to petrol.

Not sure how low mileage drivers will cope when only electric or hybrids are available

• Sad 2

Mary, from what you have said it seem maybe the car came with a bad Battery that have been sitting for months or not used much by the previous owner. 

I would insist to get it replace under warranty, don't take no for an answer. Dealers are typical for fobbing people off, hear this regularly. Throw the sales of goods act at them.

Phone Toyota uk to make a complain also. 

My car is 6.5 years old on original Battery, no problem, there are members with 10+ years on original too. Hopefully once a new Battery is installed and when u don't drive it for a long period, either get a trickle/solar charger or start the car and sit in for 30mins or so on ready mode to top up the battery. 

• Like 2

Mary, are you able to monitor the Battery voltage? 

I took and logged the voltage everyday when I had a few days of no use.  It should hold up above 12v for a few days. 

In my case it showed a steady decline to below 10v and then dropped to 8v.

It had failed before and that garage had checked. This time, with my discharge log they changed the Battery

As MoJo said get them to change it.  If you have a log as I did they cant get away saying it is OK. 

• Like 1

If it’s the case that the Battery is faulty, petrol driven cars would struggle just as easily, especially with the extreme weather and temperature conditions we’ve had recently.I agree with Mojo, take it back to the dealership Mary.  Has there been any other problems with the car?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mary Ellen said:

🥵 had Yaris cross excel for six months, 21 model ex demonstrator, 8000 on clock,nothing but trouble with flat 12v battery. Don’t do a lot of mileage as second car, probably 5000 a year if car was reliable. At insistence of dealer that low mileage is problem I have tried various combinations. Drove 15 miles, third motorway, rest town and city. Next day 50 miles to Yorkshire and back so mix of M65 country roads and town driving, three hours in total. Didnt  need to use it for 48 hours and when I did battery was flat. Toyota Breakdown (AA) have been out five times in as many months. Dealer says battery is ok.

Not sure how low mileage drivers will cope when only electric or hybrids are available

Hi Mary, 

reading your post makes me believe you been unlucky and been sold approved used Toyota with dead 12v Battery
Once the 12v Battery goes flat completely and remained at low voltage for longer the Battery capacity is reduced and even after recharging with external charge and the car been in regular daily use your battery is not able to hold charge on standby and the only option you have is to push your dealer you had bought the car from for warranty replacement. They are obligated to replace and not to bother you any further. Perhaps a word with the dealership manager is needed.. Your car is great, just been unlucky and your dealer seems not willing to help. 
Wish you good luck. 👍

• Like 2

We all know these cars are prone to flat 12v batteries when not used much.  The problem is firstly that even if she lobbies the dealer for a new one, it won’t be long before she’s back in square one.  Secondly, I don’t believe that it is faulty.   We keep getting these odd complaints about spurious faults - engine rough when cold, knocking suspension, engine running more now than it did in summer, dodgy Battery.  What we’re describing is normal Yaris behaviour and many of you jump on the bandwagon to reassure the owner they’ve got a demic.  Toyota invented mass production, the chances of being faulty are very slim despite what those very lovely service advisors tell them.  Where in Yorkshire are you Mary?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Mary, we've had ours for just over a year now. We live about 2 kilometres outside our village and a few more from the next slightly larger town. Car often sits for several days without use, we do a lot of short runs when we do use it with an occasional round trip of 90 Kms to Plasencia for a shopping trip.

We've not had a single problem with it not starting and we think it's a great car. As others have said I think you need to push your dealer to replace the Battery. If you still get no sense from the dealer move your complaint up the food chain.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 7:44 PM, Hicardo said:

Hiya all, took delivery of my new YC Excel on 30th Dec 22, so nearly a week into ownership.  What a fantastic car!  Like someone else said, I prefer the digital option for speedo, its then much less cluttered and less distracting.  

I wish it had a right foot rest as well. as. a left foot rest, as I find it much more restful when on a motorway cruise, on adaptive cruise.  But I knew this before I bought the car.  Need to learn to do something else with my right foot. I guess you can just let your foot rest gently on the accelerator? 

The suspension seems fine to me on the 18's, mine has Falken rubber from factory.  Handles really nicely.  Quite refined.  Coming from a MK8 Golf to the YC, and while the Golf is a bit sportier, I prefer the YC already, and thats without not yet understanding its finer points.  

The peace of mind and long warranty possibility are SO much better than the VW.  I trust that this car will reliably deliver us on any journey, whereas in the Golf I never trusted it, as while it had never let me down so to speak, it had gazillions of software glitches over the 2 year lease, some of which were quite scary when they happened.  "Total Electrical System Failure" coming up on the dash doesnt tend to fill you with confidence!  Ive had plenty of Toyotas in the past, and they give you confidence.  So I have high hopes of the YC.

Will report back in due course.  Any advice on the YC gratefully received.  

Cheers! 😄

Congrats!

1. I am wondering how quiet is the cabin in Yaris Cross vs Golf? Normally, a car in segment below usually have inferior noise isolation than a car from higher segment.  I assume YC is as spacious as Golf though.
  2. How is the fit and finish, cabin quality and material in YC vs Golf ? 

Thanks,

Sol

4 hours ago, Mary Ellen said:

🥵 had Yaris cross excel for six months, 21 model ex demonstrator, 8000 on clock,nothing but trouble with flat 12v battery. Don’t do a lot of mileage as second car, probably 5000 a year if car was reliable. At insistence of dealer that low mileage is problem I have tried various combinations. Drove 15 miles, third motorway, rest town and city. Next day 50 miles to Yorkshire and back so mix of M65 country roads and town driving, three hours in total. Didnt  need to use it for 48 hours and when I did battery was flat. Toyota Breakdown (AA) have been out five times in as many months. Dealer says battery is ok.

I drive 8 miles (4 miles to and fro), and have not had any problems though I drive almost everyday. 

Hi Sol, to answer your questions - in my opinion

- cabin noise slightly more in the YC than Golf overall - on a motorway cruise.  Around town and country YC probably a little quieter due to the hybrid drive.  But when I test drove the car in all these conditions, I was happy with things in relation to the Golf - which does certainly have a quiet cabin

- YC has about the same interior space as the Golf, fit, finish, material quality better on YC Excel than latest Golf Style (Golf has taken a step backwards recently in this regard) 

- YC all round tech is WAY better than Golf - 2 years of using the Golf has left me very unimpressed - over promises and under delivers - took me 18 mths to finally get a good software update that took away most of the bugs - but not all regrettably

Cheers!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jimota said:

If it’s the case that the battery is faulty, petrol driven cars would struggle just as easily, especially with the extreme weather and temperature conditions we’ve had recently.I agree with Mojo, take it back to the dealership Mary.  Has there been any other problems with the car?

No other problem.emailed Toyota uk but no reply!!!

58 minutes ago, Spo2 said:

Congrats!

1. I am wondering how quiet is the cabin in Yaris Cross vs Golf? Normally, a car in segment below usually have inferior noise isolation than a car from higher segment.  I assume YC is as spacious as Golf though.

Thanks,

Sol

What a question.  Which Golf with which engine?  The Cross is much quieter than a 1979 Golf with a 1.6 diesel.  Far better materials too.  

6 minutes ago, Mary Ellen said:

No other problem.emailed Toyota uk but no reply!!!

I’m new to the Toyota brand and still familiarising myself with the Yaris Cross.  Lots of good advice on this forum especially from Anchorman, Cyker, and others who may be able to give you tips on how to get the best out of your car.  Complaining to big companies can sometimes take a little longer than you would like but I’m sure a reputable company like Toyota will get back to you soon.  As I said, there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum with plenty of experience of hybrid cars and electrical systems.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, anchorman said:

We all know these cars are prone to flat 12v batteries when not used much.  The problem is firstly that even if she lobbies the dealer for a new one, it won’t be long before she’s back in square one.  Secondly, I don’t believe that it is faulty.   We keep getting these odd complaints about spurious faults - engine rough when cold, knocking suspension, engine running more now than it did in summer, dodgy battery.  What we’re describing is normal Yaris behaviour and many of you jump on the bandwagon to reassure the owner they’ve got a demic.  Toyota invented mass production, the chances of being faulty are very slim despite what those very lovely service advisors tell them.  Where in Yorkshire are you Mary?

Are you saying flat Battery problems are normal on a Yaris and you have to accept them?

3 hours ago, anchorman said:

We all know these cars are prone to flat 12v batteries when not used much.  The problem is firstly that even if she lobbies the dealer for a new one, it won’t be long before she’s back in square one.  Secondly, I don’t believe that it is faulty.   We keep getting these odd complaints about spurious faults - engine rough when cold, knocking suspension, engine running more now than it did in summer, dodgy battery.  What we’re describing is normal Yaris behaviour and many of you jump on the bandwagon to reassure the owner they’ve got a demic.  Toyota invented mass production, the chances of being faulty are very slim despite what those very lovely service advisors tell them.  Where in Yorkshire are you Mary?

Was news to me about the 12v Battery until checking it out on here, not everyone is in the Toyota owners club and some only after buying also how many people are going to research a car in that much detail before buying it? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eddie G said:

Was news to me about the 12v battery until checking it out on here, not everyone is in the Toyota owners club and some only after buying also how many people are going to research a car in that much detail before buying it? 

For the most part, you don’t need to Eddie.  It only tends to affect low usage vehicles.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mary Ellen said:

Are you saying flat battery problems are normal on a Yaris and you have to accept them?

No, I’m saying it’s far from normal and doesn’t effect many people.  Those it does effect can get around it if they understand what needs to be done.  You can either switch it on periodically or charge it.  It sounds a faff but it’s not long until we have to charge cars every day anyway.   If you’re not far away, I’ll have a ride out with my mrs and show you how to do it.  

• Like 2

That’s well put Anchorman.  I’d rather do the occasional top up charge for a hybrid that doesn’t get used much than all the faffing about challenges associated with a fully electric car.  Traditional petrol cars will eventually be a thing of the past so I’m sticking with a hybrid until there are major improvements with EVs or some new dangled power system comes up trumps.

• Like 1

Anchorman is right, it does not affect everyone but as far as I know all Hybrids can be affected. 

Just want to say that one good practice with a petrol engine does not apply with a hybrid. We were taught not to leave the ignition on with the engine not running. With a hybrid you are encouraged to leave the car in Ready mode (ignition on).  Obviously you cannot leave it in Ready mode unattended but there are times when you don't need to switch off. 

One occasion is at the shops of either driver or passenger stats in the car, just leave it in Ready mode. 

Also Accessory mode is not designed for sitting in the car and listening to the radio. 

A diesel, a petrol, a Battery, or a hybrid have 4 wheels and a steering wheel in common but thereafter they are all different to a greater or lesser extent. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Spo2 said:

Congrats!

Thanks,

Sol

Yaris Cross it’s a great car and although is larger than standard Yaris it is still a small cross over and a class behind Golf, Corolla etc. I have been in the showroom comparing all Toyota models and they are changing their fit and finish, materials used too with going up the model ladder.
Aygo for example is at the bottom where Rav4 phev is at the top. There is a difference between same model but different trim levels, entry level Yaris cross is way more basic than excel, actually if you would like to get Toyota car that is loaded and as plush as possible go only for excel spec or at least GR sport. I also compared all models to my old top spec Auris hybrid from 2010 and I can assure you that my car is more of a Lexus than a Toyota by today’s standards. Another thing to mention is that recent years many manufacturers switched to soft touch and cushy materials only at front of the driver like top part dashboard, front door cards but rear doors, lower plastic trims, behind the seats and anything else around is hard plastic, which is not too bad but has its negatives too. Yaris cross seats below Corolla (golf) or Ch-R  in terms of refinement, cabin noise insulation, seat comfort on the rear bench, fit and finish. For the rav4 excel phev and Camry I checked, lol these two cars were so good, I had the feeling I was seated in German or Swedish car, the smell of the materials is different with scents of real leather. Yaris cross design, Aygo top spec and Yaris gr sport didn’t have that smell or gave that feel at all. Here an interesting video about Yaris cross and motorway use. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Spo2 said:

I drive 8 miles (4 miles to and fro), and have not had any problems though I drive almost everyday. 

Thank you for taking the time to reply.looking on other sites it seems flat Battery is common but Toyota always blame low mileage and refuse to pay for new Battery. I have ordered a new Battery which I will pay for but will then sell the vehicle. 
Toyota suggest various solutions , fit solar panel, unsightly. Run car in Ready mode for an hour, done that, get trickle charger and charge battery under back seat, got one but not prepared to take seat and trims off on a regular basis. Would anyone buy this car if they were told of these fixes?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links