Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross Excel Long Term Review

Tom E Pattinson

Thought I would leave a feedback review on my experience with my new Yaris Cross, delivered on 27 May 2022. So far, so good after 4600 miles. Excellent mpg ratings, better round town/urban environment, constantly returning between 65 - 70mpg on normal drive mode. Motorways at around 60 - 70mph not so good but as expected, returning around 60 - 65mpg. Very good on the motorway, I absolutely love the transmission. It’s probably the best auto I’ve ever experienced, though it’s more an electronic transmission than a hydraulic form. I get a range of around 440 miles to a tank at present, this is increasing with every fill as the computer works out averages. Really disappointed that the vehicle doesn’t have a spare wheel, just the ridiculous “gunk” for injection into a flat tyre. Love all the safety features, though Parking Assist on this model seems hit and miss, repeatedly informing me “not available in this condition” - what condition? Never specified. If anyone has experience of this system I would be pleased to learn from them? Only really strange thing I’ve noticed is that the windscreen glass seems prone to scratching easily, so watch out! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Parking assist is available on my Corolla. I didn't realise it was on the Cross. 

I have used it a couple of times.   You need to  select the 'right'  mode but I agree at times it seems to refuse a slot that you would accept. 

These may well be old style narrow slots. 

It also scared me early on as it appeared to be reversing into a car parked behind me in the dealers forecourt. 

I think take it easy and let it do its own thing.   It just does not seem as fast as DIY but it probably is. 

I bet it would never get into a London street parking space! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I bet it would never get into a London street parking space! :laugh: 

Oh, you can always get into a London parking space with bull bars fitted.

• Haha 2

Steady on mate, this isn't Paris!!! :laugh: 

• Haha 2

We were in Paris 50 years ago and noticed how many cars were damaged.   We did a spot count of 100 cars noting the front right wing.   Observed that 1 in 4 had a damaged wing.   From this we deduced that every Parisienne car had a damaged wing. 

Later that evening we watched a German DS21 parking in a narrow street and a space far smaller than we would attempt.   When he finished there was 4 inches spare  front and back.   He did not touch either car. 

In contrast the French technique is simply push and shove. 

• Like 3

There certainly was a lot of moving other cars by shunting to get into a parking space when I worked there in the 80s.

My company car was a Volvo 240 with the giant bumpers, no reversing sensors then.

But being a provincial driver, I was nervous of hitting another car, for a few months anyway, until I realised someone in front had already shunted me,so do as you will be done.

As Roy says,it seems in other countries it is acceptable to drive round with a damaged car, I remember hiring a pre scraped Corsa in the canaries, and every car had damage.

Different perspective I suppose, where the slightest scratch here ignites apoplexy.

I am not immune to this here myself, and jump up and down waving my walking stick if anyone even gets close to my beloved Yaris.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RwP,  ah,  the empty car park paradox. 

Chose an inconvenient empty spot as far away from the supermarket entrance and....... 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Chose an inconvenient empty spot as far away from the supermarket entrance and....... 

A rule i have always followed come rain or shine! 😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eddie G said:

A rule i have always followed come rain or shine! 😁

4 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Which I would certainly do if I could walk any distance, COPD limits me a fair bit.

So unfortunately have to use the disabled spots, some are right in the firing line of shopping trolleys, but where I usually shop they are well positioned,so not too bad.

Some seem unable to drive a trolley though, never mind something with an engine.

• Haha 2

Disabled spots have gotten better, at least in the supermarkets near me - They're not just closer but usually have a 2 foot boundary around each bay so you can open the doors fully (It's about time they realized a disabled person is unlikely to be able to squeeze through a 4 inch gap between cars! :laugh: 

One annoying thing I find with Yaris-sized cars in car parks generally is they seem to attract SUVs parking next to them, presumably because they're so narrow it leaves more space either side for the fat SUV!

• Like 1

And not all disabled people have blue cards.   I walk 2-3 miles every day,  but my problem is getting out of my car. 

• Like 3

On 8/21/2022 at 4:06 PM, Tom Pattinson said:

Thought I would leave a feedback review on my experience with my new Yaris Cross, 

How do you find the ride on bumps and road imperfections?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cyker said:

Disabled spots have gotten better, at least in the supermarkets near me - They're not just closer but usually have a 2 foot boundary around each bay so you can open the doors fully (It's about time they realized a disabled person is unlikely to be able to squeeze through a 4 inch gap between cars! :laugh: 

One annoying thing I find with Yaris-sized cars in car parks generally is they seem to attract SUVs parking next to them, presumably because they're so narrow it leaves more space either side for the fat SUV!

I love irony,a few years ago when I had the Lexus is 200, I went to a country park near here.

The disabled spots near the visitor centre 5 of them, were filled with a large trailer promoting accessibility.😭

So off I trundle to a spot in the large car park, looking forward to using the free disabled scooters provided for people like me to ride around the park, good paths apparently.

I had been told about these by my daughter in law who had taken her mum there ,broken hip, and they had a nice time looking at the lake, and the wildlife and birds.

It turned out ok though, I was worried about the distance from the main car park to the visitor centre, no problem as the only free spot that I reversed into made it impossible to get out of the car

So the bonus was, I went home and avoided the kind of morons who would promote accessibility while preventing access.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

And not all disabled people have blue cards.   I walk 2-3 miles every day,  but my problem is getting out of my car. 

You may be able to get one Roy, they are for people who cannot move very well, and other conditions that include getting in and out of cars,as I understand it.

Although they have no legal standing in private car parks, they are pretty handy in avoiding lengthy legal battles with cowboy private parking "companies"(spit),as I found out to my cost,in time and effort while quite ill, if not monetary value.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Baytree said:

How do you find the ride on bumps and road imperfections?

You’ve mentioned the 18” wheels in a separate post - absolutely no problem with the ride. Having said that, I’m comparing it with my previous car a Ford Grand C Max which is a heavy vehicle on 17” rims and a lovey smooth ride. The Yaris Cross is somewhat lighter and isn’t quite so refined, but I really am not noticing a huge difference. You can always fit Michelin tyres in the long term, they soften any car ride quality. Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for YX Excell review. I am at 3000 now and am really happy with it now I have just about sorted out what info I want to look at and what I don’t need to look at. Much more info available than my old 2011 Alfa Romeo Giulietta.

Ride on 18’s can be slightly choppy but is generally smooth.

I have just fitted a space saver type and jack (fits in rear offside wheel arch via boot) obtained from dealer. All fits ok.

The vehicle design is clearly trying to be lightweight wherever they can - seems ok and not too lightweight. Obviously for fuel economy. 1290kg helps with consumption.

Consumption is improving gradually up to about 63mpg now. I think it is still bedding in.

Well designed and constructed. Happy with choice and intend to keep for 10+ years while the world sorts itself out re fuelling transport.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Russ, as you appear to have just converted to the hybrid it might be that your driving style is chsnging too. 

In my Corolla, after 2 years, I am getting some remarkable mpg with minimal change to average speed or journey time. On a 12 mile journey into town 80+ in this weather is not unusual and 70+ on return. 

On long journeys, 200 miles, I do drive faster but still get 60+.

• Like 3

On 8/27/2022 at 3:35 PM, Roy124 said:

Russ, as you appear to have just converted to the hybrid it might be that your driving style is chsnging too. 

In my Corolla, after 2 years, I am getting some remarkable mpg with minimal change to average speed or journey time. On a 12 mile journey into town 80+ in this weather is not unusual and 70+ on return. 

On long journeys, 200 miles, I do drive faster but still get 60+.

Yes you’re right there is no doubt that these Toyota Hybrids bring about a change in driving style. The handbook advises that under 62 mph is advisable to limit wind resistance and clearly you can feel that as you can with driving into a headwind. So I’m driving slower as a consequence as it suits the car. Gentle acceleration again is advised and is what the Eco mode brings into play. Again I rarely accelerate strongly. The power level of the 1.5 non turbo working with the traction motor is certainly adequate but it isn’t a sports car. 114 bhp isn’t much these days but it is enough. Rarely use Power setting. 
All these design matters are linked to trying to build an efficient hybrid car. Most of the smaller engined Toyota and Honda hybrids have about the same performance as a consequence and do what they say on the tin.
They are not “mild hybrids” they are “full” hybrids and for much of the time (say 40%) actually run on the MG2 traction electric motor even though they they do not have a long electric only range. 

I like mine and I am also grateful for the safety features that these very modern cars have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Russ, I think that your driving slower is more likely driving more smoothly and you will start to realise there is a negligible difference in journey times. 

You will undoubtedly notice other cars rushing up to 'the braking zone' whereas you will start to arrive as traffic starts to clear and can slip into roundabouts without stopping. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Russ, I think that your driving slower is more likely driving more smoothly and you will start to realise there is a negligible difference in journey times. 

You will undoubtedly notice other cars rushing up to 'the braking zone' whereas you will start to arrive as traffic starts to clear and can slip into roundabouts without stopping. 

I've found it makes a big difference 'The braking zone' was never one for going down the gears and over used the brakes in my manual ICE cars, much prefer the auto and Hybrid style driving.

Not so much long term but first impressions - we got the car this morning.  Love it.  So much easier to get in and out.  Took it for a short drive this afternoon, mostly B roads.  So far consumption is a respectable 66.

The car seems much quieter than the Corolla, but then is has the sound deadening windscreen and a very heavy bonnet liner.  Driving it on its Goodyear 18 inch tyres was fine on the smoother roads but a bit lumpy elsewhere.  Now this could be down to the delivery tyre pressures of 2.7 bar all round vice 2.2 front and 2.0 rear.

They are picking it up tomorrow to clean some marks off the headlining and position the rearview camera out of my line of sight! It is supposed to be in the swept area not deadcentre.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Not so much long term but first impressions - we got the car this morning.  Love it.  So much easier to get in and out.  Took it for a short drive this afternoon, mostly B roads.  So far consumption is a respectable 66.

The car seems much quieter than the Corolla, but then is has the sound deadening windscreen and a very heavy bonnet liner.  Driving it on its Goodyear 18 inch tyres was fine on the smoother roads but a bit lumpy elsewhere.  Now this could be down to the delivery tyre pressures of 2.7 bar all round vice 2.2 front and 2.0 rear.

They are picking it up tomorrow to clean some marks off the headlining and position the rearview camera out of my line of sight! It is supposed to be in the swept area not deadcentre.

Hi Roy,

enjoy your new car 👍 I will be probably asking questions about how does it compare to corolla but with the time . All the best 👌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links