Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

0W30?

Wooster

The specified oil for my 2018 Auris is (unsurprisingly) 0W20.  I looked at the Toyota eBay store but could not find 0W20 in 5 litre containers.  ebay.co.uk/toyotaofficialstore  I asked why I couldn't find it and was told "...the 0W-20 AFE oil and can only be provided in the 1L category."  But, 0w30 oil is available from Toyota in a 5 litre size.  I wondered if it would be a good substitute for 0W20 as it has a greater specification?

1f7a39fc-499a-48c4-9bb5-8dc8e7d4afc6.thumb.jpg.b32c39a4922395da87acfd272c7cc936.jpg9086ffc4-ff4a-42de-bd8c-0918fbde9f26.thumb.jpg.bde08e8562f1c33dedc4b54830197e4f.jpg

0W 20 is in short supply, the 0W 30 listed is not a suitable replacement, that particular oil is for new grade Proace

• Like 1

It doesn’t have greater specs , higher hot end numbers doesn’t mean always better protection because the different engines works differently and require an engine oil that is designed to work ( flow and create oil pressure plus lubricate and dissipate heat) in certain ways. Any other oils out of the exact specs will be not as protective as the original one. First and most important when choosing an oil is to match the manufacturer recommended specs and then choose the brand you like or whatever is available, quantity packages not important. Second important thing is to buy original stuff only, Toyota parts including fluids are faked a lot, extra care here needed and buy only from well known vendors. Are you going to change the oil yourself, how I do at my driveway? If not then just ask the garage ( dealer) to use the preferred oil and let them take care off. Common mistake is to ask for service or repair a mechanic or garage and provide parts by yourself, doing so invalidates any potential warranty or work after that if something goes wrong. 

• Like 2

Might be worth popping in to your local dealer and seeing if they have any in stock; Can sometimes wrangle a discount too!

PartsKing could sell you some too I bet! :naughty: 

8 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Might be worth popping in to your local dealer and seeing if they have any in stock; Can sometimes wrangle a discount too!

PartsKing could sell you some too I bet! :naughty: 

Wish I could, can't get hold of it at the moment :crybaby: :crybaby:

• Like 1

There are still plenty of choices including Petronas on eBay. No need to be exactly Toyota oil as long as it’s 0w20 A5 or A6 specs. 

6 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

It doesn’t have greater specs , higher hot end numbers doesn’t mean always better protection

I didn't mean to suggest 0w30 was a better oil than 0w20 just that - maybe - it was like 0w20 but with higher hot temperature spec.  So, would it not perform the same was as 0w20 and have 'something in reserve'? Not suggesting I'd want to use it, but I always thought that 10w50 would do the job of 15w40 (where it was specified), but would have 'something in reserve'.  Or, have I misunderstood the ratings system?

It just means at higher temps, the 0w30 will be thicker than the 0w20, so less good for economy and won't flow as well.

Sometimes thicker oil is better, but with the tight tolerances of modern Toyota engines, too thick an oil may cause problems. Current Toyota engines are designed for thin oils so ideally that's what should be used.

You could probably get away with it in a pinch, since 5w30 is the official 'backup' oil where 0w20 isn't available, but I wouldn't want to run on it long term is it will likely increase engine wear, esp, at cold start (Mine one's oil is even more scarce - 0w8!! :eek: )

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wooster said:

I didn't mean to suggest 0w30 was a better oil than 0w20 just that - maybe - it was like 0w20 but with higher hot temperature spec.  So, would it not perform the same was as 0w20 and have 'something in reserve'? Not suggesting I'd want to use it, but I always thought that 10w50 would do the job of 15w40 (where it was specified), but would have 'something in reserve'.  Or, have I misunderstood the ratings system?

The higher numbers will not exactly provide more protection or has something in reserve in different applications. It might be suitable for engines that see a lot more load and higher temp however this is not always best for all types of engines.
Hybrid engine almost impossible to get so hot as standard petrol car in most driving conditions therefore even we agree that 0w30 might have some reserve for higher temperatures operating it will certainly lack some vital properties in mid and low temps and this is where your engine needs the most protection. 

• Like 1

For the first 5 years of servicing my Aygo at my local Toyota dealer, they used 5w-30. Then they changed franchise and it swapped to 0w-20.

Haven't noticed any performance change between the two, but I am led to believe the thinner oil is better for the oil control valve thingy. Something to do with the camshaft and timing?

All magic and unicorns to me 😆

2 hours ago, fordulike said:

For the first 5 years of servicing my Aygo at my local Toyota dealer, they used 5w-30. Then they changed franchise and it swapped to 0w-20.

Haven't noticed any performance change between the two, but I am led to believe the thinner oil is better for the oil control valve thingy. Something to do with the camshaft and timing?

All magic and unicorns to me 😆

Vvti won’t have any issues from different viscosity oil unless you pour 20w50 classic car oil 😉 however vvti may suffer if the engine is clogged with sludge as a result of poor quality oil and extended oil change intervals. The major components that benefits and require a thin and quality oil are crankshaft and camshafts,  all bearings, piston rings, cylinder walls, timing chain, hydraulic tensioner and guides, everything that is tight metal to metal fit and has constant friction when engine is running. The thinner the oil the better is in todays engines 👌👍

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Parts-King said:

that particular oil is for new grade Proace

Just as background, the Toyota Proace is now a badge-engineered Peugeot Expert/Citroen Jumpy van.  For this newcomer, Toyota will have had to stock plenty of Stellantis van parts in Toyota wrapping.  And hence this 'Toyota' oil existing, just for one vehicle in the Toyota range.

It's not intuitive, but 'engine oil', as well as being oil, is also a blend of detergents, anti-foaming agents, anti-scuff additives, viscosity index stabilisers, and some other stuff that I can't remember just now.  The quality and quantity of these additions will vary depending on brand, target price, and particularly what engine it's designed for, as you'd expect.

The Petronas brand, as far as I can see, is the brand used in Suzuki car dealerships.  So that oil is ending up in Suzuki clones of hybrid Yaris, Corolla and RAV4, which is encouraging.  But they are having intermittant supply issues too. 

Just occasionally, a Suzuki dealer will offer Petronas at a competitive price through their spares department.  It might just be worth checking if your local one is willing to do this - but many don't even stock Petronas oil for a 'take-away', they just take it in drums for the workshop.  Tony Levoi Suzuki in Colchester has it for over-the-counter, but he's miles away from you!

HTH

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gerg said:

Just as background, the Toyota Proace is now a badge-engineered Peugeot Expert/Citroen Jumpy van. 

The Proace has always been a Stellantis product, same as the Proace City, which is a version of the Berlingo/Partner.

On 8/24/2022 at 5:53 PM, TonyHSD said:

I've been getting Petronas from here, very quickly delivered. If you buy 10 litres you can offset delivery cost a little, but price is reasonable and it's good product 

https://www.pipercrossperformanceoils.com/product-page/petronas-syntium-7000-0w-20-5l

• Like 1

You also can get any 0w-20 from any brands. I prefer products with actual certification either from VW 508/509, Volvo, BMW LL17, Dexos, etc. Those 0w-20 are tested by independent lab to get certification. 

I found that VAG Genuine Oil 0W-20 are easy and cheaper to get because of large network in Europe. They are actually more refined than cheaper most API SN oil with <-55C pour point. It must contains higher PAO than typical HC synthetic/ group III 0W-20 from Mobil1 AFE or Toyota. Or just buy Mobil 1 ESP X2 0w-20 with certification from DexosD, 508/509 and other manufacturers.  Mobil 1 0w-20 AFE (cheaper) is not the same as Mobil1 ESPX2 (better). 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links