Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Seat Height

Wooster

I'm a fairly short chap and wish I could sit higher up when driving, simply to get a better view ahead.  I've tried a few different cushions (to sit on) but the side seat bolsters no longer support me.  I have about 4 inches above my head - yes, the driver's seat at it highest setting.  Now, if I could just sit a few inches higher up, it would be great.  Does anyone have any ideas?

I would think it would be possible to raise the seat higher than it’s maximum you would need a garage or engineering workshop to make some spacers up to go between the runners and the floor then you would need some longer bolts to bolt the seat back in.

not sure wether it would affect the the seat belt restraint system and or the air bag system you would need to check this .

Raising the seat will affect the airbag in the event of an accident also it will change the shear points

How tall are you ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, flash22 said:

How tall are you ?

I'm 5ft 6ins tall.  I understand the airbag deployment needs to be considered, but I'm just trying to recreate what someone who is 5ft 10ins tall would see.

You're not than vertically challenged - set the seat to its lowest (assuming it's height adjustable) slide the seat all the way back

adjust the seat up then slide forward, proper seat back adjustment also helps, it took me an age to get the seat adjusted just right

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are you 5 foot of legs and 6 inches of torso? 😋

joking aside I have a friend who is the same height and he doesn’t have any issue, are you sure the seat is working correctly? 

I’m only 4 inches taller than you and I have the seat set low so that makes me think with the seat at its highest you should be fine. 

Ive heard it said that your head should ideally be a hand width from the roof lining so that’s probably 2 inches away.

• Like 1

That reminds me of https://familyguy.fandom.com/wiki/Legs_Go_All_The_Way_Up_Griffin

having a look at ridc -https://www.ridc.org.uk/features-reviews/out-and-about/choosing-car/car/auris-12-t-comfort-5dr-hatch-2015

Min seat edge to ground - driver 573mm
Max seat edge to ground - driver 609mm

so 36mm of adjustment

nearly the same as the yaris
  • Haha 1

On 11/2/2022 at 11:28 AM, flash22 said:

You're not than vertically challenged - set the seat to its lowest (assuming it's height adjustable) slide the seat all the way back

adjust the seat up then slide forward, proper seat back adjustment also helps, it took me an age to get the seat adjusted just right

I tried this and it gives a much better seating position 

I am same height and I only have 3 push ups of the seat height adjustment on my auris 1, the seat doesn’t stay high but it’s comfortable for my like. No problem with visibility at all. If I push it higher it becomes ultra uncomfortable because Toyota seats change their angle while adjusted up or down., this also need to be taken into account when finding the right driving position behind the wheel. Also the steering wheel proper adjustment is very important to compliment the seat correct position. No adding any pillows, covers etc , these cam only worsened the things or cause incidents, air bag interference etc. Keep it stock, keep it safe. 👍

On 11/3/2022 at 4:51 PM, Steven83 said:

5 foot of legs and 6 inches of torso?

No, I've pretty normal proportions!  (30" inside leg.)

On 11/5/2022 at 11:27 AM, Bruce Lea said:

adjust the seat up then slide forward,

I've done this but can't see what difference it makes as to which order you do them in.  (Slide forward and crank up. Or crank up and slide forward) 

What am I missing?

On 11/5/2022 at 2:37 PM, TonyHSD said:

No problem with visibility

I don't have any 'problems' but I've known better.  I had a 2010 Prius and the seating position (at its highest) seemed to give me a commanding view.  When i looked out of the windscreen, I could see the slope of the bonnet.  In the Auris, I can only see the parked windscreen wipers.  If I push myself higher (pushing down on the seat bolsters) I can see past the wipers to the curved crease in the bonnet that a few inches in-front of the wipers.  I can't see the slope of the bonnet at all.  What can others see through the windscreen?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links