Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Smart Connect Screen popup message

Roy124

This week Monday and Tuesday at about the same place we had a popup message, bottom left corner of the screen. 

It said:

Rain. 0.25 miles a start time which was current time and stop time of 2359.

Never seen it before.  Is this a message input by another driver?  

The message is distracting as its well out of the driver's sight line and disappears before the passenger really has time to read it. 

Anyone else seen this sort of popup? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

This week Monday and Tuesday at about the same place we had a popup message, bottom left corner of the screen. 

It said:

Rain. 0.25 miles a start time which was current time and stop time of 2359.

Never seen it before.  Is this a message input by another driver?  

The message is distracting as its well out of the driver's sight line and disappears before the passenger really has time to read it. 

Anyone else seen this sort of popup? 

Hi Roy,

This message sounds like it is coming from real time navigation which may well give traffic update and perhaps road conditions. Go into settings and look for any personalisation data  left by the previous owner if there was one and delete it.

This is data about the smart connect.

Being always-connected means that software and service updates can be automatically applied over-the-air, without the need to return to a Toyota centre. But it also allows the integrated satellite navigation system to provide moment-by-moment information on traffic events through a combination of connected cloud services and community feedback. Following such guidance will help to make journeys as time-efficient and trouble-free as possible..

It recommends that any previous personal data is cleared by owner before the vehicle is sold.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Bob, new car, I am first owner.  Its what I thought though curious two identical messages.  I suspect the system didn't treat it as a temp warning. 

OTOH we have a bit of the old main road - very old as it was bypassed more than 60 years ago.  The road is physically blocked with a heap of rubble.  I flagged this as closed but nothing on my display. 

I love the detail on the Satnav display but the display itself is poor.  Poor colour contrast.  Text too small.  Symbology small and also non standard. 

For instance a road works sign is red triangle, black detail, white ground; Toyota displays it as an orange triangle. 

I think I will have to record all these and tell Toyota. 

• Like 1

Hi Roy,

Just a thought are you able to clear either cache or data from the nav app to see if that will clear the message. At the end of the day if it has come up on the screen a couple of times and its not live data it must be logged in a memory somewhere.

It's worth a try you never know.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

For instance a road works sign is red triangle, black detail, white ground; Toyota displays it as an orange triangle. 

I think orange triangle signs are in a lot of European countries - they certainly are here in Ireland. However, my SatNav only ever shows speed limits - and then only when it feels like it! Another thing that I dislike is the speed limit when it is shown - in Ireland we have kph, not mph. Not really a problem, but when I cross the border into Northern Ireland, the speed limits are in mph, which the satnav will display. But if I enter a 40mph zone whilst doing 50kph, (about 30mph), the speed sign shows red as it it thinks I am exceeding the 40mph. My previous car, 2021 Corolla, would not show the red speed warning until I exceeded about 65kph. 

I agree with you Roy when you talk about the poor display etc. The 2021 version was much nicer/easier to read.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dannyboy413 said:

I think orange triangle signs are in a lot of European countries - they certainly are here in Ireland. However, my SatNav only ever shows speed limits - and then only when it feels like it! Another thing that I dislike is the speed limit when it is shown - in Ireland we have kph, not mph. Not really a problem, but when I cross the border into Northern Ireland, the speed limits are in mph, which the satnav will display. But if I enter a 40mph zone whilst doing 50kph, (about 30mph), the speed sign shows red as it it thinks I am exceeding the 40mph. My previous car, 2021 Corolla, would not show the red speed warning until I exceeded about 65kph. 

I agree with you Roy when you talk about the poor display etc. The 2021 version was much nicer/easier to read.

Mine does the same David as I have to travel in NI frequently. It can be reset for MPH or Km per hour, but it doesn’t automatically change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a village near me and it is designed to confuse even the smartest Satnav.  Entering the village from the South it sees the village sign that says 30, but the proper 30 signs are a 100 yards on.  A side road states 20 and it picks that up.  It then misses the 50 beyond that. 

But if you turn into the road with 20 it does not see that. 

Then same day, for my first time, it latched on to a foreign truck's plate and then have me a red symbol even when later doing 30 in a 30 zone. 

Just wait until they try and make compliance automatic. 

• Like 1

Yup, I found that quite early on too. It's really not fit for purpose at all. I don't understand how such systems are allowed to be deployed when they don't work properly in the real world as they are reducing safety, not improving it!

On 11/16/2022 at 9:11 PM, dannyboy413 said:

You can change the threshold of when it goes red. No idea where to set it off the top of my head, but I know there is an option in there somewhere that at least lets you set it to e.g. 1, 3 or 5mph overspeed.

But yeah the system having no option to manually set mph/kph, and being absolutely useless at picking the right one automatically, has come up a lot in this forum already!

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links