Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Accelerator dead and no power to instrument cluster

Dnalevy

Hi Everyone,

New to the site, hope this is the right place to post this?

I have a 2003 Estima (aka Previa) engine  2AZ-FE. The Battery was run flat last and now that we have a good Battery in, the car will start, will idle but no acceleration or instrument panel.

Checked all the fuses and the alternator is good.

Mechanic is stumped since it does idle but all the gauges (speedo, revs, temp, fuel) are on 0 plus the accelerator is totally non responsive.

The mechanic and RAC are stumped. Any ideas would be appreciated please??!

Thanks!

Was it jump started ?? i would check the Battery terminals and the 3 large fuses AM1 100a or AM2 80a is the most likely

25 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Was it jump started ?? i would check the battery terminals and the 3 large fuses AM1 100a or AM2 80a is the most likely

Hi. The Battery has been removed and charged and is starting the car very strongly. I've also had it started with the addition of a power pack.

Where are the 2 large fuses located please?

The negative Battery terminal was removed, sanded and reconnected at Battery and chassis side.

The positive terminal seems fine. There are several cables attached to it. I don't see how the connection there can be improved.

23 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Was it jump started ?? i would check the battery terminals and the 3 large fuses AM1 100a or AM2 80a is the most likely

OK so AM1 100A and AM2 80A seem to be OK. Also the horn and brake lights work which I think run off those 2.

its the smaller fuse box on the passenger side iirc, the large fuses tend to be bolted in place so do not pull out

424647637_estima00to06FB.thumb.jpg.f8ce339d33f151b582d831a4fff40dcb.jpg

Moved to the Estima forum.

Seems to be only the instrument cluster  and the accelerator pedal.

Thanks!

Does the cluster illuminate ? Does the dash do the usual self test ?

Sound like the ecu isn't getting power go through the fuses check anything marked EFI, ECU, ACC or IG

No the dash doesn't illuminate or do any tests. The centre console (heater knobs, clock etc) has power but the instrument cluster has no power. Dials all on 0 and no back light or other info lamps.

I think I've checked every fuse in all 4 fuse boxes! The mechanic earlier also did.

Right, theres one fuse box above the Battery and 2 to the right of the Battery. Also one on drivers side and one under the glove box. I've checked all the fuses in all of them.

Yes I think so but will check later. Centre console lights up.

I think I need to see if there's power coming to the MET fuse.

There are a similar issue on other Toyota, usually cause by an integration relay

replace the 10 amp gauge fuse (passenger side internal fuse box under the black cover)

Do you have a multi meter - use the body or bolt as ground and make sure you have voltage in both sides of the Gauge, IGN, ECU-IG and AM1 (7.5a) fuses/supply side of the fuse terminal with the ignition on - we have to start somewhere

I do have a multimeter. I'll do this ASAP  but to clarify, why would I expect voltage on both sides of a fuse terminal?

Sorry i meant both side of a fuse with the fuse removed you will have power to one terminal (supply side) only

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links