Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Software and map update - Yaris 2017

Vins213

Hi all,

I have a 2017 Yaris, but still on 6.8.1WL and 2016v2

Not too concerned about the maps as I still have my Garmin Nuvi with lifetime maps, but should I be updating my car?

I previously used just a 4GB USB stick when trying to do the firmware upgrade, which was unsuccessful. I still have that formatted as FAT32, and was keeping that for all things Toyota.

Is a 16/32 GB absolutely needed, as the files are only 254MB in total?

TIA

iirc the tech info states use of a 8gb stick, i have 2 and 4 Gb sticks i use, 32gb is the limit due to the operating system

• Thanks 1

Would the 32GB limit be just because that is the biggest size that can be formatted by 'normal' means?

Using something like Rufus, you can exceed that limit.

https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/how-to-format-a-usb-drive-to-fat32-on-windows-10/

Edit: The 4GB stick worked fine, now on that version.

Thank you.

Edited by WelshGasman
Added confirmation of success with 4GB

The rtos is QNX it's 32bit hence 32Gb limit, you can only enable NTFS if you have the sat nav (default is off) you have to enable it in the hidden menu

641211805_hiddenmenu3(Medium)(Small).thumb.JPG.64711208c16de6db1a6df8cf3961e0ba.JPG

Press where the red circles are, Middle then Top 3 times

• Thanks 1

This may be a stupid question but did you receive an email from Toyota telling you to update the software? Toyota has not informed me that this update is required.

Nope you don't get informed, it only effects cars with "Go" sat nav as it's a security update for the connected services

map updates are a paid service

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, flash22 said:

The rtos is QNX it's 32bit hence 32Gb limit, you can only enable NTFS if you have the sat nav (default is off) you have to enable it in the hidden menu

641211805_hiddenmenu3(Medium)(Small).thumb.JPG.64711208c16de6db1a6df8cf3961e0ba.JPG

Press where the red circles are, Middle then Top 3 times

I do have the SatNav, but am happy to keep that 4GB stick solely for the Yaris. It can stay Fat32.
I was just concerned that the update might need to create files, and take up space, that needed a lot more than 4GB.

QNX ingests updates and verifies the checksum, it then opens up in ram/flash and installs its self to the various partitions and storage devices, it gets extremely complex, and it's very secure with no backdoors even at hardware level the fuses on the JTAG are blown, USB and UART are secure, no way to access via can bus, only few ports are open via Ethernet over USB but are not live until you send the correct data, you can ping the port, but it just closes the connection

TBH, anything more is way above my skill/equipment level

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links