Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is the Yaris suitable?

bobcat

Thing I remember about the Austin 1100 was the speedometer that was shaped like a horizontal band. (not the musical type).

50 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Maybe some silly, pathetic,old men like talking about the good old days.

The bit about live and let live though, in your other post shines through as a perfect example of an oxymoron.

I don't know if someone on here has upset or offended you in some way, but I find it very friendly on here, and enjoy chatting about old times and motors.

And the wealth of knowledge and experience on here is a valuable resource for many owners of both older and newer cars.

One thing about being old though,is perhaps gaining some manners, and not insulting those who have different life experiences.

Hey we all love a bit of nostalgia...but not to belittle people...who have less knowledge of cars ...this doesn't sit well with me.

1 hour ago, Jimota said:

Thing I remember about the Austin 1100 was the speedometer that was shaped like a horizontal band. (not the musical type).

This is the Zodiac version one of my favourite old cars. 

(pic taken from video below)

ccccJPG.thumb.JPG.9fd0e0911f370c5a8cc3304d2bc7787c.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimota said:

Austin 1100

I had one of those as my very first car, though I can't now remember if it was the 1100 or 1300 version.

1 hour ago, Max_Headroom said:

This is the Zodiac version one of my favourite old cars.

Our family car for some years was the estate version of that. It was nicknamed "the aircraft carrier" and was lime green (looked pale yellow to me). They were actually built by Ford as saloons and then converted by a subcontractor - the tailgate was a fibreglass moulding.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Is that a Ford 100e ?

1962 Morris Minor 1000 complete with starting handle. I wonder how many thumbs have been fractured/dislocated using one incorrectly?:no:

Everybody seemed to think that moggy minors were good cars but they were a swine to work on.  I had all minis which were equally rubbish.  Spent my week and Saturday morning working on vehicles and often the rest of the weekend working on my mini just to keep it running on a shoestring budget.  Most of my repairs included a trip to the scrap yard for slightly less worn out parts.  

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the useful and interesting posts!

In brief I agree we need to take the kids with schoolbags in hand and try the available options.

I still think the first choice will be the Yaris 1.5 Manual but if that does not 'cut the mustard' then we will just skip over the Yaris hybrid and go with the Corolla hybrid. 

In terms of the 'learning to drive' I agree we shouldn't buy the car in manual form just so we can give the kids a few lessons! 

We did look at the Jazz 1.3 (non hybrid) which is quite a nice car, it is not much smaller than our current Civic and also made in Japan which is often a good thing, however a few things put me off including the 'stop start system', lack of a spare wheel which the Yaris has, and my wife was not too keen on the design and prefers the look of the Yaris.

We won't be looking until May so hoping the prices might have dipped a little bit at least by then.

Thanks for all the comments, it has been very useful!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bobcat said:

however a few things put me off including the 'stop start system',

I think all new cars will have that. And they can be horrible. On our other, non-Toyota, car part of our start up routine is to hit the 'start-stop Off' button to avoid being late onto a busy roundabout and getting T-boned.

The Toyota hybrid system does it's own, very different, version of start-stop and is 99% seamless. You'll rarely even notice it happening and the car goes from stopped as soon as you press 'loud'.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 6:28 PM, Rhymes with Paris said:

Maybe some silly, pathetic,old men like talking about the good old days.

The bit about live and let live though, in your other post shines through as a perfect example of an oxymoron.

I don't know if someone on here has upset or offended you in some way, but I find it very friendly on here, and enjoy chatting about old times and motors.

And the wealth of knowledge and experience on here is a valuable resource for many owners of both older and newer cars.

One thing about being old though,is perhaps gaining some manners, and not insulting those who have different life experiences.

I have not insulted anyone.....show me?

You on the other hand....did.......didn't you state....some people couldn't find their own ***** with both hands...why do you feel the need to insult people?

Peter, that is not an insult but a statement of fact. Indeed some people, it might be as few as two, can't do as was suggested. 

Far more cannot drive and probably are unqualified and uninsured 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, MikeSh said:

I think all new cars will have that. And they can be horrible. On our other, non-Toyota, car part of our start up routine is to hit the 'start-stop Off' button to avoid being late onto a busy roundabout and getting T-boned.

The Toyota hybrid system does it's own, very different, version of start-stop and is 99% seamless. You'll rarely even notice it happening and the car goes from stopped as soon as you press 'loud'.

Indeed.  Stop-start on a plain ICE, especially an auto, is IMO dangerous.  

The more I drive a hybrid though, the more I like it.  I like that it doesn't waste the engine when you don't need it.

• Like 4

Stop start is done to meet emissions and having the ability to turn it off is a farce, why not have the ability to switch off the EGR or the DPF.  I’ve seen comments like “I can’t be doing with it stopping” , well the gearbox stops and the wheels stop so why must the engine continue to run. “Oh it will wear out the Battery and the starter” - the ones  that the manufacturer especially designed to stop start 🙄. Mazdas poise the engine so that it starts in less than a second and I presume BMW do because there’s no way either will delay take off when needed.  Pleased to see its not an option on the Toyotas.  

• Like 2

Initially, I always had doubts about the reliability and stability of the stop start system but I have to say that it has worked flawlessly with every car owned by me.

• Like 2

I thought stop start systems were abolished by most manufacturers these days as been proven this is nothing but adds complexity to the car and not much of benefit in terms of emissions or efficiency. Mild hybrid technology it’s also a rubbish system that doesn’t help much. Seriously, if anyone wants a car that burns fuel buy on,y Toyota, otherwise just go for electric no matter how bad they might be as range they do drive like our hybrids even better m they are faster. 
Forgot to mention, just came back from trip to north London and at place where learners drivers meet there were 3 cars waiting, two of them Toyota hybrids Yaris and Corolla and the third one was a  manual seat. 
Auto cars are taking over. 

• Like 1

My BiL soon switched off his Jaguar stop/start system, more hindrance than help. 

I fitted a stop/start system to my SAAB almost 50 years ago. It was interesting shall we say. 

It would shut off when the car stopped but only after a few seconds. In practice, if your pause was brief it shut off at the precise moment you wanted to move off. 

It had no link to car operating temperature so would cut off when the car had not warned up. 

Crucially where I was living, once I joined the A road the next time I stopped was when I hit to work 20 miles later and that still applies today.  If you don't drive in stop/start traffic you won't be benefitting very much. 

• Like 1

The ss on my mild hybrid puma works seamlessly, it will shut the engine off at 10, mph as you coast slowly to a stop, it doesn’t engage again until you put it in gear ( manual) unlike the old system when the engine started as soon as you put the clutch in, the mild hybrid system works by using the hybrid Battery to boost the engine then recharging as you lift off or brake, given the price of electric cars and the chaos of the charging systems in the uk, I think the way to go is the petrol hybrid, you get the best of both worlds, running on electric power, ( albeit not all the time) and no range anxiety..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links