Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auto Locking Doors????

Mrs Scoobington

Hi All 👋

Just wondered if anyone had any comments about auto locking doors on a Yaris Cross 2022.  I do miss this from my last car and feel it's a great safety feature, provided of course there is an auto unlock override in the event of a smash.  I noticed on a 2021 brochure for the YC there was a speed sensitive auto lock function listed on the specs., but no longer.  Was this something they did but now don't?  Has anyone figured out how to activate this if its a hidden feature (though no idea why it would be tbh).

Thanks guys.

11 minutes ago, Mrs Scoobington said:

Hi All 👋

Just wondered if anyone had any comments about auto locking doors on a Yaris Cross 2022.  I do miss this from my last car and feel it's a great safety feature, provided of course there is an auto unlock override in the event of a smash.  I noticed on a 2021 brochure for the YC there was a speed sensitive auto lock function listed on the specs., but no longer.  Was this something they did but now don't?  Has anyone figured out how to activate this if its a hidden feature (though no idea why it would be tbh).

Thanks guys.

It’s a good question Sue.  It’s something that would be cheap to add and a lot of inferior cars have it.  I don’t think they every did have it but could be wrong.  On earlier RAV4 s I bought an auto door locking module off Ali Express which worked a treat.  It didn’t work on the Yaris but that was the steerage version without smart locking.  I’ll be experimenting with the Cross and if it works I’ll report back.  

• Like 1

Hi Don

Many thanks for the reply.  I did find a video that instructed to turn on the power, leave it in Park, then press and hold the lock button on the door for about 5 seconds.  The premise was that as you shifted from Park to Drive the doors would auto lock, but it didnt work.  There's nothing in the settings that I can see either, so I'm thinking the first brochure I found was either high hand drive non-UK (I'll have another look) or it was included in error and swiftly deleted.  If I find anything though I will come back.  

• Like 2

I don't know the reason Toyota are not including this safety feature in all their modern vehicles. I was able to buy a obd device for my MK3 Yaris and it did the job. However it did also put the hazard on when selecting reverse or open the boot, sold it on for those reasons.

Read on the corolla forum that the hazard lights features can be turned off on the obd device for those cars. Hopefully soon there are devices available for the cross and Yaris. 

• Like 1

Yes, with all the emphasis they put on safety, you'd think this would be a low cost addition.  I have seen this on non-uk market videos, but I'm thinking this might be a legal requirement in some countries (?).  

• Like 1

My old Smart 453 would auto lock as soon as I got over 15-20 mph. 

Anyone know if an ODB tweak can make an MK4 Yaris do the same? 

Perfect car for me aside from this and the interior trim sounds like a toddler shaking a box of lego.

• Like 1

I don't I've seen it on any Toyota, with one exception - Bizarrely, my dad's 2013 Verso has this function!! It is a bit annoying as I always forget and mash my arm into the door as it stays resolutely shut when I pull on the unlock handle :laugh: 

His previous 2005 Verso didn't tho'.

• 6 months later...

I'm also annoyed about the absence of this function that I had on my Qashqai. I asked my Toyota delership and they said it's an optional module that can be fitted at a cost.

I will be in the minority here because I don't like the system for locking the doors when a certain speed is reached.

Some years ago I barely test drove a VW Golf Plus. I asked the salesman what happened to the doors more or less the instant we left their premises, to be told they all lock above "x" m.p.h.. Turned round and went straight back in.

If I want all my doors locked when driving I just push that very useful rocker switch on the driver's door.:ph34r:

2 minutes ago, olonas said:

f I want all my doors locked when driving I just push that very useful rocker switch on the driver's door.:ph34r:

Yes it’s very easy to find as well with raised pips on it for the blind 🥴

• Haha 2

Yes, that’s not a feature I’m not too bothered about, none of my previous cars ( ford) had it, I do, however, like global opening ( where you can open all the windows from the keyfob) mines not been enabled, I might get it done at the first service, but, if you can start the car from the app it can be cooled with the air con it might not be of much use ( to me).

A matter of personal preference of course.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, olonas said:

I will be in the minority here because I don't like the system for locking the doors when a certain speed is reached.

Me too, but the cars I've had with it all had menu options to turn it off.

It's a thing that seems to have come from the US where bad people like to jump in the passenger seat and point a gun at you. Less of a problem in Europe I suspect but I can understand some people might want it, especially if they (eg) drive in cities at night.

Years ago heard of a case where a car were stationary at a traffic light, an intruder open the rear passenger door and sat behind the driver with a knife at his throat. Stole whatever he could. Big yes to this feature for me. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, TopGeek said:

A matter of personal preference of course.

That's why I wish they'd add user-configurable options for more things; Set sensible defaults for the colour buyers, but let us nerds dig in and customize the car settings more!! :laugh: 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

Years ago heard of a case where a car were stationary at a traffic light, an intruder open the rear passenger door and sat behind the driver with a knife at his throat. Stole whatever he could. Big yes to this feature for me. 

Yes, but as you say "years ago". It's not common over here.

Being in a serious serious accident is more likely, and then you are relying on the car systems to unlock the doors so people can help you ... or drag you from the burning car.

Give the knife guy your wallet or ... die?

For context, I'm a retired engineer and if it's only a couple of floors I'll use the stairs. I don't really trust technology that isn't tightly regulated.

• Like 1

Missus was picking me up after work and we'd agreed to meet where she could easily park and wait for me. I was walking there when I saw her queued at a red light, so I opened the passenger door and got in - gave her the fright of her life, she always locks the doors now as soon as she gets in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

17 hours ago, Ralph H said:

Yes it’s very easy to find as well with raised pips on it for the blind 🥴

A bit like those sound systems for the hard of hearing that the yoof seem to like.

I could be lucky living and driving in a part of the country where locking the doors isn't YET needed.

If locking the doors when driving is so important it can't be really that difficult to push a switch? A bit like securing a seatbelt before driving off, becomes habitual.

Or even not relying on automatic headlights. Oh, it's getting a bit dark but I'll wait for the sensor to realise that rather than do it myself.

1 hour ago, bathtub tom said:

Missus was picking me up after work and we'd agreed to meet where she could easily park and wait for me. I was walking there when I saw her queued at a red light, so I opened the passenger door and got in - gave her the fright of her life, she always locks the doors now as soon as she gets in.

Cor you're lucky you didn't get a handbag to the face!! :laugh: 

• Haha 2

Auto lock doors is very useful indeed, especially driving through dense populated areas and these with bad reputation like London and most big cities where sons like to take drivers cars or open boot and help themselves with anything they like, quickly pick and go. 🫢

• Like 2

Another dolor control feature that I liked on my Qashqai was that only the driver's door was opened with a single press of the remote key . The other doors could be opened with a double press of the remote or with a button inside the car.

In the Yaris Cross, if you lock the doors manually, I presume they will unlock automatically in the event of a serious accident.

• Like 1

Had that feature in the Audi's I had also, very useful. Someone might come along and say they have a magic finger to press a button which does it to a Toyota (while on the move perhaps) 😉

All Toyotas and Lexus unlock the doors if the airbag deploys.  I work in central Manchester and would prefer it down there because with the best will in the world, I forget to do it manually.  One of my colleagues had a traffic light beggar open the door and take his phone off the seat.  I’ve got every sympathy for them but not when they do tricks like that.  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links