Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Whats wrong with the mk4 Yaris?

jerry123

I had a 2022 Yaris for all of five days last summer but took it back to the dealer because they sold me a damaged car, this dealer has one of the largest networks in the south of England, bunch of clowns in my opinion! Anyway I digress, I'm trying to find out whats up with these Yaris's? Currently there are 1,199 Mk4 Yaris's on autotrader from the year 2021 to 2022 this is not including brand new cars. If you do the same search for its nearest competitors there are 350 Honda Jazz's and only 58 Renault Clio e-techs. People don't seem to be keeping thier Toyotas for very long. Any ideas?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jerry123 said:

I had a 2022 Yaris for all of five days last summer but took it back to the dealer because they sold me a damaged car, this dealer has one of the largest networks in the south of England, bunch of clowns in my opinion! Anyway I digress, I'm trying to find out whats up with these Yaris's? Currently there are 1,199 Mk4 Yaris's on autotrader from the year 2021 to 2022 this is not including brand new cars. If you do the same search for its nearest competitors there are 350 Honda Jazz's and only 58 Renault Clio e-techs. People don't seem to be keeping there Toyotas for very long. Any ideas?

You’d have to do some sort of ratio, say per 1000 because there’s hardly any Renaults (thank goodness). 

• Like 2

I’m not a mathematician but I think you’d need to know how many Yaris Mk4s, Honda Jazz and Renault e-techs were sold before working out a comparison on how many appeared on auto trader.  Like Anchorman says, you would need to work out some ratio before coming to a conclusion.

• Like 6

Thats a fair point about whether there are more Yaris's registered in the UK over Clio's or Jazz's but I have recently read on this forum that the mk4 Yaris suffers from electrical issues. I was thinking about buying another from a differnt dealer but some of the comments have put me off some what

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jerry123 said:

I have recently read on this forum that the mk4 Yaris suffers from electrical issues. I

Its not several  electrical issues as the press would have readers believe its in most case the same thing the 12v Battery losing charge when the car is not used for several days there are more threads about this than you can shake a stick at try reading the two below and you'll have all the knowledge about this issue and will be able to make your own mind up,  😉

• Like 2

I was keen on getting a self charging Hybrid and I've been looking at the Clio, Jazz and the Yaris. Toyota have the most experience with Hybrid tech so the Yaris seemed like the obvious choice but since I was let down by my local Toyota dealer last year I have given buying a brand new car a break with the supply issues and all and was looking into getting a new car hopefuly in time for spring this year. I'm not so sure if self charging Hybrids are the way to go now to be honest so I might just stick to the trusty old I.C.E for a couple of more years until the issues have been ironed out

• Like 1

If you don't need to I wouldn't bother as it's still not a great time to buy a car; Used prices are still high despite the press' bizarro world reports of them coming down, and new cars are going up and they have a long lead time due to the global supply chain still being messed up.

I have new Mk4, and it's awesome, but given a choice I would have kept my old Mk1 diesel if it wasn't for KHAAAAAN and his ULEZ. My original plan was to run it into the ground (The Mk1 D4Ds are pretty much indestructible and the last generation of reliable diesels before they started bolting on emissions control junk that killed their reliability), while saving for a suitable EV replacement, but I'm a lot more pessimistic about EVs at the moment and, unless an incredible breakthrough in Battery tech hits the market soon, I'm not hopeful anything suitable for my usecase will hit the market this side of 2030...

• Like 3

I take your point Jerry.  Initially I looked at EVs but quickly came to the conclusion that they weren’t for me so self charging hybrids were the next the next thing to look at.  I have to confess that moving from an Audi ICE to a a Toyota Hybrid was a big step as I was loyal to the Audi/VW brand for over 30 years.  I’m certain that I’ve made a sound decision and am perfectly happy with my Yaris Cross Design model.  Yes, there are some issues with the 12v batteries but my car has behaved impeccably even in the extreme temperatures between -10 and -12 degrees.  The more I understand about Toyota self charging cars the more confident I feel about their overall performance and reliability.  You raise another good point about supply issues and I don’t think I would wait 7 months for delivery of a new car again.  I’m now thinking seriously of keeping my car and taking out the 10 year Toyota warranty rather than trading it in for another new car in 2-3 years time.  Good luck in your search for a new vehicle or retaining the existing car.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jimota said:

I take your point Jerry.  Initially I looked at EVs but quickly came to the conclusion that they weren’t for me so self charging hybrids were the next the next thing to look at.  I have to confess that moving from an Audi ICE to a a Toyota Hybrid was a big step as I was loyal to the Audi/VW brand for over 30 years.  I’m certain that I’ve made a sound decision and am perfectly happy with my Yaris Cross Design model.  Yes, there are some issues with the 12v batteries but my car has behaved impeccably even in the extreme temperatures between -10 and -12 degrees.  The more I understand about Toyota self charging cars the more confident I feel about their overall performance and reliability.  You raise another good point about supply issues and I don’t think I would wait 7 months for delivery of a new car again.  I’m now thinking seriously of keeping my car and taking out the 10 year Toyota warranty rather than trading it in for another new car in 2-3 years time.  Good luck in your search for a new vehicle or retaining the existing car.

I feel very confident owning one.  

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, jerry123 said:

I'm not so sure if self charging Hybrids are the way to go now to be honest so I might just stick to the trusty old I.C.E for a couple of more years until the issues have been ironed out

There isn't "an issue to be ironed out" drive the car every 3 or 4 days and you will have many years of problem free and inexpensive motoring why would you buy an ICE car because of a few negative articles as you can see from the threads here its those that park the car for weeks at a time that are having issues if this is what you intend to do instead of driving the thing an ICE car is probably the thing for you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The issue that sees the most posts on here is usually the 12v Battery depleting, but most of the time it's due to the car not being used. The hybrids are designed to be used, not sit on a driveway for weeks on end or only be used for short cycle-range hops.

If your usecase involves regular driving then it won't be a problem for you.

The only other one that I've experienced was the hybrid system malfunction message due to the drive plate slipping, but there is a recall out for that and it's been fixed in newer cars.

The car itself is awesome; It's nippy, very responsive, has the best handling of any non-sportscar Toyota I've driven, and I would rate it nearly at Fiesta levels. The fuel economy is crazy - Without even driving efficiently I was getting mid-70s, and with more restraint on my right foot I was brushing low 80's! That's in the warmer parts of the year tho; During the snow and recent sub-zero cold snaps it's 'only' been in the 50-60s :laugh: 

It's mad that they could make something so fun to drive and responsive at all speeds, but still return such high fuel economy :biggrin: 

It's been a very popular car and sold very well, far more so than the new Jazz (Which is a strong rival for it - Not as fun to drive or as good looking, but has a more practical interior) and the Clio (Which is sportier and faster but has a much more primitive hybrid system and doesn't get close to the Jazz or Yaris for real-world economy. Also, the long-term reliability of French electrics is always a concern! :laugh: )

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

You had a damaged car, didn't say what the damage is. The MK4 Yaris in my opinion is the number 1 in its segment of supermini. The dealer should have fix the car for you, so it's their fault. Every car can have problem, just the Yaris mk4 have very few. My MK3 is at 6.5 years, zero problem, am moving on to the MK4 by the autumn. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Cyker said:

The issue that sees the most posts on here is usually the 12v battery depleting, but most of the time it's due to the car not being used. The hybrids are designed to be used, not sit on a driveway for weeks on end or only be used for short cycle-range hops.

If your usecase involves regular driving then it won't be a problem for you.

The only other one that I've experienced was the hybrid system malfunction message due to the drive plate slipping, but there is a recall out for that and it's been fixed in newer cars.

The car itself is awesome; It's nippy, very responsive, has the best handling of any non-sportscar Toyota I've driven, and I would rate it nearly at Fiesta levels. The fuel economy is crazy - Without even driving efficiently I was getting mid-70s, and with more restraint on my right foot I was brushing low 80's! That's in the warmer parts of the year tho; During the snow and recent sub-zero cold snaps it's 'only' been in the 50-60s :laugh: 

It's mad that they could make something so fun to drive and responsive at all speeds, but still return such high fuel economy :biggrin: 

It's been a very popular car and sold very well, far more so than the new Jazz (Which is a strong rival for it - Not as fun to drive or as good looking, but has a more practical interior) and the Clio (Which is sportier and faster but has a much more primitive hybrid system and doesn't get close to the Jazz or Yaris for real-world economy. Also, the long-term reliability of French electrics is always a concern! :laugh: )

New Jazz has a decent interior light.  Are you listening Toyota!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

As a person that rarely carries more the one passenger or luggage a Yaris is the perfect size vehicle for me.

Reasons I didn't even bother to test drive one when I was looking for a replacement vehicle where:

I don't like where it's built.

I don't like 3 cylinder engines.

I don't like the fact the UK get stiffed on available trim, equipment & options.

My choices came down to C-HR with back up option of Corolla if a C-HR didn't fit in the garage, luckily it does.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, anchorman said:

Default Toyota response along the lines of  " we will pass your suggestion on to the product development team " 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, anchorman said:

And the trick rear seats! I really miss those from the Mk1 and Mk2 - They were practically hallmarks of the Yaris until they were dropped in the Mk3. I don't think anything in the small car segment had such interior space flexibility! Hmm... I wonder if it would be possible to nick them out of the Jazz and retrofit them into a Yaris... :g: :whistling1: :naughty: 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, anchorman said:

I was thinking this was due to the Panoramic roof option I chose, just like the spare wheel, interior light delete, so there is no light also on standard roof models? I didn’t realise 😂

One advantage of pan roof is that you can take advantage of street lights.

• Like 2

Yeah, only roof lights are the two front ones, rear passengers are  apparently unworthy of illumination and have to root around in the dark :laugh: 

To be fair the lights are so weak anyway they aren't missing much!!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Yeah, only roof lights are the two front ones, rear passengers are  apparently unworthy of illumination and have to root around in the dark :laugh: 

To be fair the lights are so weak anyway they aren't missing much!!

Not bad if you put LEDs in but it only caters for the privileged front passengers.   

509E474D-7BF7-4C93-920E-65E791323672.jpeg

• Like 2

I can highly recommend the Ring brand of smart Battery chargers if you aren't going to use the car for a fair time - the price is good, and they include a "Quick Release" connector in the box so you can bolt this to the Battery permanently.  As well as the normal Battery clamps.  Mine has the settings for Start / Stop batteries as well as normal Lead Acid and Lithium.  Checks the charge, then does a repair cycle, and finally a trickle charge - it is designed for long term use.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jerry123 said:

I had a 2022 Yaris for all of five days last summer but took it back to the dealer because they sold me a damaged car, this dealer has one of the largest networks in the south of England, bunch of clowns in my opinion! Anyway I digress, I'm trying to find out whats up with these Yaris's? Currently there are 1,199 Mk4 Yaris's on autotrader from the year 2021 to 2022 this is not including brand new cars. If you do the same search for its nearest competitors there are 350 Honda Jazz's and only 58 Renault Clio e-techs. People don't seem to be keeping thier Toyotas for very long. Any ideas?

Price? they are not cheap cars also more people trading in to get a Yaris Cross? was the case with mine where the owner wanted a more easy to excess higher up car, zero problems with mine so far just take it for a good drive once or twice a week to kept the 12v Battery topped up it's that good to drive you will want anyway.

• Like 3

The Mk4 sells well and there has been a lot of market demand with dealers offering good money on used cars and offering upgrades on new car orders

lets compare new registrations like for like models

Honda jazz, 2021-22, 577 registrations

Renault Clio, 2021-22, 66 registrations

Yaris Mk4 Excel 2021-22, 2891 registrations

Based on Q3 2022 data

• Like 6

There's the answer.  There are more 2nd hand Yariseses cos there was more new Yariseses.

I know things are changing but French electrics are still not my first choice 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Also a lot of dealers were offering upgrade deals on nearly new cars and many were persuaded to change much earlier than they would normally do.

I very much doubt similar things happened with Jazz owners.

• Like 3

When VW id3 was released in the UK there were sold many, I don’t have exact numbers but I remember there were close to 400 used id3’s available on auto trader less than a year old., plus brand new available for immediate collection on discounted prices.
This means something indeed and shows that a good chunk of customers has them exchanged, returned, or cancelled orders.
At that time pretty much the bad reviews were more than the good ones anywhere on the web. Pandemic happened and 6-12 months later car shortages etc sold most of the auto trader id3s and there were almost no available. 
Yaris might not be the best Toyota but definitely it’s the best hybrid of its size and in general all Toyota hybrids are best cars with ice available. 
If me buying a new car now I will definitely put my money on any Toyota hybrid first and than may consider an bev although they are really suitable for those who drive less or not as often. 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links