Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

High Voltage cable corrosion

srt

There seems to be enough evidence accumulating to form the basis of a class action.  Don't know if Toyota UK have ever had to fight one. But it would appear to be simple enough for them to modify the Relax warranty for this issue. But then I think they would need to be shamed into it by the likes of Watchdog or Martin Lewis.

• Like 1

Toyota are better than that I think. The whole essence of the Toyota philosophy is reliability, so they really won't need or even deserve to be subjected to extreme measures, more like a wake up call and a little time to consider what that entails. I could be wrong of course but that would be a great shame as where else are we to go? Toyota have built an empire on delivering and backing up what they deliver, reputation is hard won and easily lost so I'm optimistic on this one.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 8:59 AM, Hybrid21 said:

Hi Gill,  hard to believe that a Toyota dealer has not heard of this issue  🤔

I said exactly that to the service manager - and even came prepared with a copy of the Toyota US service bulletin!   He said, oh well that's straight from the horse's mouth ..
I'm sure they must be instructed to act dumb 🙄.  But at least my dealers aren't trying to dodge the issue (so far).  He did say the 'fix' seemed ridiculous, looking like the same connector but with half of it cut away - not sure if that would be even worse in my situation (muddy country lane over winter) and allow even more crud to collect in it

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tove said:

He did say the 'fix' seemed ridiculous, looking like the same connector but with half of it cut away - not sure if that would be even worse in my situation (muddy country lane over winter) and allow even more crud to collect in it

There is mention of it in one of Ahmed's videos (The Car Care Nut). I think it's the "Should I buy a 2022 RAV4" one.

He mentions the problem with the cover on that connector allowing water to collect and then just sit there rather than drain out. IIRC, he also notes that the revised cover is open on one side.

[checks]

Yup. 9:10 in this one. The timeline is annotated.

• Like 1

I have neither looked at ours, nor booked the car in with Toyota to be checked, but I still got 6 months, so I suppose I was leaving it as long as possible for;

(i) an issue to possibly/probably manifest, and

(ii)Toyota to "man up" and provide a warrenty solution.

Fingers still crossed. 

Hi all I’ve read all posts but can I just check is a 2021 two wheel drive not affected buy this as I’m viewing one next Thursday , thanks 

Just now, Eddiefh said:

Hi all I’ve read all posts but can I just check is a 2021 two wheel drive not affected buy this as I’m viewing one next Thursday , thanks 

Fwd unaffected. Vulnerable connection is for the rwd motor.

• Like 2

The revised cover is opened deliberately to allow moisture to dissipate.

I get why the cable isn't integrated, as if it was damaged you'd have to replace the whole motor, but unless they use marine grade connections then I'm not sure how corrosion can ever be avoided.

Makes me laugh that one of the symptoms is AM interference - oh aye cos we all listen to AM radio these days.

• Like 1

Naebdies listening to longwave radio Atlantic 252?

That's how I still answer the phone.

• Haha 2

• 3 months later...

Well I phoned Toyota today to book our car in(next wed) for a service.

The car will be 3 years old in June btw..

I asked about getting the high voltage cable connection to the rear axle drive motor checked, quoting 22TE09. For my reassurance.

And got fobbed off. In that I overheard a sotto-voice convo with the service manager where he said they do not/will not? check the loom/cables, and then the receptionist, who never mentioned said convo,  said back to me,  we could "discuss" the matter when I am in next week.

And of course this issue was entirely unknown to them!

What leverage can I exert, or what form of words/key words can I use to get this looked at before the 3 year warrenty expires?

Thanks, Marcus

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Marcusthehat said:

What leverage can I exert, or what form of words/key words can I use to get this looked at before the 3 year warranty expires?

The only thing that you can do is report the fault ...

• Do you have static on AM when in D or R that goes away in P?
  • Do you have a "Hybrid System Malfunction" alert on the MID?

If you do, you should report the fault; if you have neither there is no fault to report and nothing for the dealer to do. Customer Support Program 22TE09 provides for a rectification of faults reported by the owner - and notifies owners that there is such an issue that they may experience and subsequently report.

In the US, this CSP applies for 8 years or 100,000 miles (whichever comes first) - i.e. it effectively extends the manufacturer's warranty in respect of this specific issue. So you probably don't need to be overly concerned about the expiration of the manufacturer's warranty.

But it might be comforting to know whether the dealer is aware of CSP 22TE09 and whether it applies in the UK.

• Thanks 1

I have no static, nor am I aware of any HSM alert on the MID.

But having seen the images of this corrosion damage to 2019 vintage UK vehicles AND the clear statements that this issue would NOT be covered under the 10 year warranty, I was seeking some reassurance that we would not be on the hook for an expensive repair.

Or for somebody to inform me, preferably by showing me some recent  UK specific document from Toyota, that they now acknowledge this issue and will stand over the repairs.

Cheers

Marcus

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links