Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

High Voltage cable corrosion

srt

On 6/11/2023 at 8:09 PM, Yugguy1970 said:

So do we think it's not covered under the extended warranty, just the standard?

I don't think it is in the UK, only in the US and Canada.

If that position changes in future, you might be at a disadvantage if you have taken detectable preventative action.

But honestly, even when it is covered you can wait months for the part to be available.

I've taken preventative action, 9 months before my warranty expired.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On 6/11/2023 at 8:44 PM, displaced said:

I don't think it is in the UK, only in the US and Canada.

If that position changes in future, you might be at a disadvantage if you have taken detectable preventative action.

But honestly, even when it is covered you can wait months for the part to be available.

I've taken preventative action, 9 months before my warranty expired.

In Canada there was talk of a class action being brought against Toyota. I don't know what the current situation is though. 

Personally though, I will get my Rav4 PHEV regularly checked before the 3 year manufacturers warranty runs out and any signs of corrosion I will be making a claim. 

Beyond 3 years I am considering adding some dialectic grease as its definitely not covered under the 10 year extended warranty.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

This is my first post on here. I have a 2012 Diesel Rav4 D-4D, which I have been very happy with.  Looking to buy a Rav4 Hybrid 2019 ( a 19 or 69 reg)

I have seen that there have been some issues with the Hybrid 2019 to 2021 regarding the Hybrid High Voltage Wiring Harness. From what I can gather Toyota are not recognising the issue with the wiring harness that apparently gets full of debris and water and hence the wiring inside corrodes. I think some places refer to it as `Cablegate`. It stops the car working altogether in some instances I have read about.

Has anyone experienced these issues and if so, how did you get on at the dealerships to resolve the matter?  I understand it is a costly repair if Toyota don`t do it under warranty and could be an issue further down the line again. . I understand they have altered the wiring harness from 2022 and it is more open to allow water and debris to fall out.

Always had Toyotas but must admit I am a bit hesitant now about getting the Hybrid version due to these issues.

Thanks in advance 

• Like 2

Similar topics merged.

HI, thank you for merging the topics and your comments.  It is certainly a minefield, and even if you are lucky enough to get it done under warranty it could take months to get sorted.  I note someone said it affects AWD models only and not front wheel drive Ravs. 

Does the AWD banner include the 4WD Ravs then as I note when looking for Rav Hybrids some are 4WD and some are AWD. I assume it does .

12 hours ago, Jory said:

HI, thank you for merging the topics and your comments.  It is certainly a minefield, and even if you are lucky enough to get it done under warranty it could take months to get sorted.  I note someone said it affects AWD models only and not front wheel drive Ravs. 

Does the AWD banner include the 4WD Ravs then as I note when looking for Rav Hybrids some are 4WD and some are AWD. I assume it does .

Hi, 

this cable gate is only present on awd or 4wd RAV4’s hybrid, which is same car just called differently.
If you worry about it best to buy a fwd version, they have no rear motor and no any cable gate issues.
If an awd car (4x4) is must have and you take the car off the road on gravel, dirt or terrains, woodlands, mountains etc the awd-I system from Toyota fitted to their hybrids is not really the best one. 
It works fine and split the torque between front and rear axle but if you get stuck then it’s not much of a help. Definitely not an awd system that can spin its all wheels and get you out of a situation, just in case you are after a proper awd car. Toyota hybrids awd-I are better than fwd equivalent when starting on slippery conditions, especially on incline roads covered in snow and ice. 👍 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jory said:

Hi

This is my first post on here. I have a 2012 Diesel Rav4 D-4D, which I have been very happy with.  Looking to buy a Rav4 Hybrid 2019 ( a 19 or 69 reg)

I have seen that there have been some issues with the Hybrid 2019 to 2021 regarding the Hybrid High Voltage Wiring Harness. From what I can gather Toyota are not recognising the issue with the wiring harness that apparently gets full of debris and water and hence the wiring inside corrodes. I think some places refer to it as `Cablegate`. It stops the car working altogether in some instances I have read about.

Has anyone experienced these issues and if so, how did you get on at the dealerships to resolve the matter?  I understand it is a costly repair if Toyota don`t do it under warranty and could be an issue further down the line again. . I understand they have altered the wiring harness from 2022 and it is more open to allow water and debris to fall out.

Always had Toyotas but must admit I am a bit hesitant now about getting the Hybrid version due to these issues.

Thanks in advance 

Hi, if you do get a 19 or a 69 plate it will be under the previous 5 year standard warranty so I would suggest getting it checked when say 6 or 9 months left on that.  It's what I plan to do for my 20 plate.

RAV4 PHEV remarkably capable off road given the stablemates within its class. Plenty of US videos out there showing how it performs off road, which I watched before I ordered mine and it hasn't disappointed. 

• Like 1

If worried about off road performance simply fit suitable grippy off road tyres and run them at lower/low pressure when off road.

Simples.

Okey Dokey...so it's been near as damnit 4 months, without the Rav 4...and finally, FINALLY I think if they haven't got it already, the stealership are literally on the verge of receiving the cable and fitting it. Fingers crossed that means we will end up with the car back before we move, but after all of our holidays.

I feel very sorry for everyone else that is going to experience this issue, and I also can't wait to order a gr sport one next year in stormtrooper white and black, and start the whole process again!

• Like 3

Can confirm approx lead time is 4 months for a fix, stealership now has part, and in a delightful twist of fate will “hopefully” be fixed by next week when we are on holiday.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

And we got it back last week.

The hilux we got from Toyota for towing our caravan was pretty epic.

Glad to have the rav back though, and yes, it was confirmed as corroded. Dealership were still fobbing me off claiming “it’s something we’ve never seen before Mr Robinson” 

Here’s to ordering a hybrid landcruiser in a few years!

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Just FYI, these guys created their own connectors to replace the metal ones. After half a year and lots of different materials, they finally managed to source something that is used in the industry for EV/HV components. It supposed to last forever. The parts and labour are 400 pounds.

Watch this for more details (turn on English subtitles)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm posting here on behalf of my Dad who has a 2019 UK AWD Rav 4 hybrid with signs of corrosion on the high voltage cable (see photo). He likes the car but is concerned the cable may fail. Particularly concerning is the possibility set out in this forum thread that if it failed it may even require a new engine as well as a cable! He also has no main dealer near him so is reliant on independent garages. Can someone confirm whether it would be covered by the 5 year warranty? Also, would an independent garage be permitted to fit a new cable if it failed, or would he have to take it to a main dealer? In addition, is it still several months wait for the part? 

I'm therefore looking for any opinions/advice on what to do next. i.e.

1. Sell the car 
  2. Keep it and hope it doesn't go wrong
  3. Load it up with dialectric grease and/or try and seal the housing in some way
  4. Use an aftermarket fix like the above video but I don't know how practical this would be

Also, can the cable be disconnected to run the car in 2WD only if it did look like failing? (I'm guessing not).  

Any advice gratefully received, including any new information that may have come to light on a fix. 

Rav 4 Cable.jpg

• Sad 3

The corrosion looks bad however it is to the outside of what appears to have done enough thus far to protect the inside - the bits that matter and actually do the job of conveying the electricity to where it is required. I would expect Toyota to honour their obligation to provide merchantable quality and agree to fix it FOC. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Kenny140 said:

Particularly concerning is the possibility set out in this forum thread that if it failed it may even require a new engine as well as a cable!

Actually, Toyota started selling the cable on the engine side that comes with the connector, so a new engine is no longer required. The cost of the cable is around 250 pounds as far as I'm concerned.

They also have a connector with this orange thing available as a service part, but they don't sell it yet. So in theory, you could replace these parts relatively cheap. We are still talking about dropping the engine to replace the cable and the connector on the engine end but the labour is probably a few hours. Still cheaper than getting a new engine 😁

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

I'm comforted to know that Toyota are now selling the cable and hopefully will soon sell the connector. I presume an independent garage could fit it, particularly when it goes out of waranty. With the part at around £250 hopefully the job will become a lot cheaper than the £4000+ I've seen quoted in other forum posts!

Do you know of an online link to the part by any chance? I did a search but couldn't find it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kenny140 said:

Thanks for the replies.

I'm comforted to know that Toyota are now selling the cable and hopefully will soon sell the connector. I presume an independent garage could fit it, particularly when it goes out of waranty. With the part at around £250 hopefully the job will become a lot cheaper than the £4000+ I've seen quoted in other forum posts!

Do you know of an online link to the part by any chance? I did a search but couldn't find it. 

You can see both parts on the video I posted above, the cable / connector is at 12:30 minutes mark, the other part that Toyota doesn't sell yet is at 13:20

On 12/11/2023 at 4:46 PM, Kenny140 said:

I'm posting here on behalf of my Dad who has a 2019 UK AWD Rav 4 hybrid with signs of corrosion on the high voltage cable (see photo). He likes the car but is concerned the cable may fail. Particularly concerning is the possibility set out in this forum thread that if it failed it may even require a new engine as well as a cable! He also has no main dealer near him so is reliant on independent garages. Can someone confirm whether it would be covered by the 5 year warranty? Also, would an independent garage be permitted to fit a new cable if it failed, or would he have to take it to a main dealer? In addition, is it still several months wait for the part? 

I'm therefore looking for any opinions/advice on what to do next. i.e.

1. Sell the car 
  2. Keep it and hope it doesn't go wrong
  3. Load it up with dialectric grease and/or try and seal the housing in some way
  4. Use an aftermarket fix like the above video but I don't know how practical this would be

Also, can the cable be disconnected to run the car in 2WD only if it did look like failing? (I'm guessing not).  

Any advice gratefully received, including any new information that may have come to light on a fix. 

Rav 4 Cable.jpg

Hi, I also have a 2019 AWD Dynamic, I haven't had it long but have only just become aware of cablegate!  If I had known, I may have thought twice about the car as I was planning to keep it long term.  The car itself so far has been great, but I have noticed the AM static which is one of the early symptoms of cable corrosion.  My dealers (in Shropshire) said they hadn't heard about it but are willing to look into it and check it for me.  I would assume that it would be done as a warranty if needed, they did indicate that this would be the case.  I don't know how difficult it might be for your father to have his car serviced at a main dealer, but if you do so you get an extra 12 months' warranty up to 10 years or 100,000 miles which does give you some peace of mind, for a while anyway - until hopefully Toyota come up with an effective solution!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Gill,  hard to believe that a Toyota dealer has not heard of this issue  🤔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tove said:

Hi, I also have a 2019 AWD Dynamic, I haven't had it long but have only just become aware of cablegate!  If I had known, I may have thought twice about the car as I was planning to keep it long term.  The car itself so far has been great, but I have noticed the AM static which is one of the early symptoms of cable corrosion.  My dealers (in Shropshire) said they hadn't heard about it but are willing to look into it and check it for me.  I would assume that it would be done as a warranty if needed, they did indicate that this would be the case.  I don't know how difficult it might be for your father to have his car serviced at a main dealer, but if you do so you get an extra 12 months' warranty up to 10 years or 100,000 miles which does give you some peace of mind, for a while anyway - until hopefully Toyota come up with an effective solution!

If you are talking about Toyota Relax, then as far as I'm concerned it doesn't cover this issue. There is a blueprint with list of things that are covered and cable harness is not. But now they have a connector available, so they are able to replace it without replacing the whole harness that costs 2k ...

22 hours ago, kucyk said:

If you are talking about Toyota Relax, then as far as I'm concerned it doesn't cover this issue. There is a blueprint with list of things that are covered and cable harness is not. But now they have a connector available, so they are able to replace it without replacing the whole harness that costs 2k ...

If that's what the 10 yr warranty is called then yes.  In view of their statement

"The owner of the vehicle is entitled to have mechanical, electrical and electronic defects attributable to manufacturing or assembly repaired free of charge wherever possible"

I would argue that the connector is a defective part (otherwise why would they have changed it) - so hopefully if replacement is needed it will be done under warranty.  I'll be finding out I expect anyway!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tove said:

If that's what the 10 yr warranty is called then yes.  In view of their statement

"The owner of the vehicle is entitled to have mechanical, electrical and electronic defects attributable to manufacturing or assembly repaired free of charge wherever possible"

I would argue that the connector is a defective part (otherwise why would they have changed it) - so hopefully if replacement is needed it will be done under warranty.  I'll be finding out I expect anyway!

Yes, no and maybe ... 😉

There's isn't really a "10 year" warranty in more than a marketing sense!

Your car (and mine) came with a 3 year manufacturer's warranty followed by a 2 year extended warranty (paid for by Toyota UK). The extended warranty isn't as comprehensive as the manufacturer's warranty but it covers "everything" apart from a clearly specified list of exclusions. I believe that the connector should be covered under you existing extended warranty.

Sometime in 2021 IIRC, Toyota replaced the extended warranty option with the 10 year Relax warranty subject to your having the car serviced by Toyota in accordance with the service schedule. The Relax warranty is less comprehensive and specifies a list of what things are included in addition to things that are specifically excluded:

• Under Engine, it excludes electrical wiring
  • Under Electrical, it includes "Wiring Looms (for short circuit)"
  • It excludes "Damage or defects as a result of defects resulting from an external cause and/or natural phenomenon (e.g. water or dust ingress, stone chipping, flooding, icing, storm, natural disasters, accident, fire, explosions, war, civil unrest, sovereign action, wilful or malicious action, unauthorized use, salt, glass erosion and scratches, soiling);"

And it is completely silent on high voltage cables ...

As you say, if it is the result of a design defect, we'd hope that Toyota would accept some responsibility for the resolution. 🤞

• Like 1

Seems pretty clear to me that however much the Relax Warranty product is certainly not a 'Manufacturers Warranty' per say, it is still being marketed as cover which for all reasonable expectations on behalf of the consumer look that way. This would I believe oblige Toyota to act in a way that meets the expectations they have built up in consumers through their marketing. The specific case of a wiring loom which cannot meet the expected life of use is a slam dunk win for a contester in my view, though I really doubt Toyota would waste their time on a pushback.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links