Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Size/Replacement Cost

YarisHybrid2016

Hi,

What is the full spec of the tyre fitted to the Yaris Excel and GR Sport? I think the GR Sport comes with Bridgestones, but I can't find any 18" listed on their website! I want to check they're not going to cost 300+ per corner to replace. 😂

Excel 

Supplier name or trademark
Bridgestone
Commercial name or trade designation
ECOPIA EP150
Tyre type identifier
Tyre size designation
205/45 R17
Load-capacity index
Speed category symbol
W

• Like 1

GR Sport

Supplier name or trademark
Bridgestone
Commercial name or trade designation
TURANZA T005
Tyre type identifier
Tyre size designation
215/40 R18
Load-capacity index
Speed category symbol
Y
  • Like 1

Info is on the Toyota website if you look.

• Like 1

Check out Blackcircles if you just checking. One of the keenest on prices, but if you buying check other suppliers too. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vainona70 said:

Info is on the Toyota website if you look.

I did, but couldn't see it. Thank you!

Will cost you around £150 fitted. It's a Bridgestone T005 size as above. I just had an alloy and tyre wrecked by a raised manhole cover on my GR Sport 😭 all fixed now though.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, cbren said:

Will cost you around £150 fitted. It's a Bridgestone T005 size as above. I just had an alloy and tyre wrecked by a raised manhole cover on my GR Sport 😭 all fixed now though.

Sorry to hear that! There seems little difference in sidewall depth between the 17" and 18" (45 vs. 40). Do the 18" seem more prone to damage, or just a freak incident? I've had good experience overall with the 16", and my current car is the first I had "lower"-profile tyres on.

• Like 2

16” wheels with 50 or above tyres would probably drive over most potholes and manholes without any damage to the wheel or tyre, except in extreme situations. Low profile tyres on large wheels are full stop for UK imo , just look around the condition of the roads, it’s pathetic and it’s going worse by the day. There is also no benefit what so ever of so lower profile tyres, if we take an example from te real Yaris GR 4 the tyres and wheels aren’t as low profile and for a good reason. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

16” wheels with 50 or above tyres would probably drive over most potholes and manholes without any damage to the wheel or tyre, except in extreme situations. Low profile tyres on large wheels are full stop for UK imo , just look around the condition of the roads, it’s pathetic and it’s going worse by the day. There is also no benefit what so ever of so lower profile tyres, if we take an example from te real Yaris GR 4 the tyres and wheels aren’t as low profile and for a good reason. 

I agree. I'm screwed by the color of the interior trim. Not sure what a different set of alloys would cost, but not in the budget for now. I'm pretty good at avoiding most things on the road, but I am aware this profile of tyre is more susceptible.

• Like 5

So one of the good thing about going for the design spec is the better tyre profile than excel. My current tyre sidewall is 111mm, excel is 92.25mm, that was too big of a comfort drop. So design on 107mm is not so much and tyres will be cheaper. Though there are a few tech I will miss from the excel trim. 

• Like 2

Imo the best purchase decision is to buy the car trim level that matches best your preferences and expectations and don’t worry about the wheels if not possible to change prior to your order which is the case with Toyota uk unfortunately, buy the car you like and organise your preferred wheels + tyres combo from the beginning. On delivery swap immediately the oem wheels with your own choice and store those for later putting them back if you want to sell or return the car. In these particular case with ultra low profile tyres and wheels the damage of the wheels its so likely that could even happen on delivery or while the car is in transit, or even worse on your first day out. Honestly, the roads in UK aren’t even good for 50 tyre wall let alone 45 or below. Currently after the long and salty cold winter the current road network looks more like a scenery from the moon  than a normal streets from a civilised country. 😶

• Like 3

Only if one haven't stretched their budget to max and have space to store a set of wheels. In my position I didn't want to spend a penny more after getting the excel and no where to store wheels. 

• Like 3

Can’t see the state of the roads improving anytime soon.  Most councils and local authorities are pleading poverty and are reluctant to spent money on improving the infrastructure.  However, more and more people are lodging compensation claims for vehicle damage and the councils will have to at some point in the future change their strategy.

• Like 2

That’s true, the roads will only get even worse as anything else in the next 2-3 years or longer imo. For the wheels and tyres bigger sizes are always sought after so even without storage facilities anyone can sell them quickly and have covered the extra cost for new wheels and tyres. But all done needs to be done asap after delivery, others once the wheels get damaged will sort a lot less. 👍

• Like 2

Not quite that easy to sell, there ain't that many icon/design trim owners who would want to buy excel wheels. Of course it maybe fit other cars too, it could sit in the house for months on end. Too much hassle. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Sorry to hear that! There seems little difference in sidewall depth between the 17" and 18" (45 vs. 40). Do the 18" seem more prone to damage, or just a freak incident? I've had good experience overall with the 16", and my current car is the first I had "lower"-profile tyres on.

It was just one of those things.. going through roadworks, early in the morning, pitch black and pouring down, and hit it at the worst possible angle. Just typical it has to happen on a new car, I haven't damaged a wheel in over 10 years, and both other cars have had 18 inch wheels with a small sidewall 🙄🙄

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Well this certainly got me looking at something I never really gave much thought about.

The sidewall depth of my current car has 3.83" of sidewall on 16" rims (195/50R16), and the GR Sport has 3.38" of sidewall on 18" rims (215/40R18), for a difference of ~0.45" or ~13%.

The 16" on the gen. 4 Yaris has ~4.22" of sidewall (195/55R16). Interesting they reduced the aspect ratio slightly vs. the 16" of the gen. 3.

• Like 2

Big wheels and low profile tyres fitted to a small hatch are just for aesthetic reasons only.

Back in the 1980s the Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI deemed to be one of the best handling hot hatches in its day wore 15” wheels with 185/55R15 tyres.

102E0972-4A63-47FC-942A-6903727B0F0B.thumb.jpeg.db78798a314362084856a6853b2937a1.jpeg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, ISL said:

Big wheels and low profile tyres fitted to a small hatch are just for aesthetic reasons only.

Back in the 1980s the Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI deemed to be one of the best handling hot hatches in its day wore 15” wheels with 185/55R15 tyres.

102E0972-4A63-47FC-942A-6903727B0F0B.thumb.jpeg.db78798a314362084856a6853b2937a1.jpeg

On any car actually 👌👍

On latest Yaris hybrid the best size wheels and tyres are on Design 16” . 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, ISL said:

That gives ~4.00" of sidewall.

The 205 is a "tiny" car though, so relatively those 15" are quite large. I followed one just the other day and was shocked at just how small it looked compared to the other cars around it. My father used to own one in the '90s.

Some cars have rediculously large wheels. KIA seem to be getting pretty bad for it.

• Like 3

I'm with you guys, 100%, our roads are just crap for big wheels with small sidewalls, some cars can deal with it but still, it's a horror to hit a big pothole. But I like how it yaris cross looks and how it handle on big R18s. 😄 don't think I will change them any soon. Maybe if I have a chance to make a direct comparison between R18 vs R16 with balloon sidewall, because you proved to me with the right rims, it can also look very good.

• Like 6

On 2/19/2023 at 3:28 PM, Mojo1010 said:

Not quite that easy to sell, there ain't that many icon/design trim owners who would want to buy excel wheels. Of course it maybe fit other cars too, it could sit in the house for months on end. Too much hassle. 

The trick would be to sell it to people in bigger cars who want to downsize their rims - For instance, the 17" rims that came with my Excel are virtually the same as the 17" rims on my dad's Verso, and because the overall diameter of that wheel is much bigger, it goes from being low-profile for a Yaris to fairly high profile for a Verso! :laugh: 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RobertR said:

Maybe if I have a chance to make a direct comparison between R18 vs R16 with balloon sidewall, because you proved to me with the right rims, it can also look very good.

RobertR, the thread above describes my experience of doing just that. The summary is that I get much better bump absorption on my local cratered roads and a significant reduction in road noise. No discernible fuel consumption penalty

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ISL said:

I remember the lift off oversteer all to well!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links