Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Deck boards boot space

Lincur

Why are deck boards not available in the UK version of the Yaris Cross, and why can't they be purchased as an accessory?  They're available in other parts of Europe, so why not here?

58 minutes ago, Lincur said:

Why are deck boards not available in the UK version of the Yaris Cross, and why can't they be purchased as an accessory?

Ask Toyota GB.

1 hour ago, Lincur said:

Why are deck boards not available in the UK version of the Yaris Cross, and why can't they be purchased as an accessory?  They're available in other parts of Europe, so why not here?

You mean for the boot?   They have them don’t they?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roy124 said:

What's a deck board?

Where cars have a two stage boot floor, the deck board is the upper floor section that can be removed or folded to increase boot space.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Where cars have a two stage boot floor, the deck board is the upper floor section that can be removed or folded to increase boot space.

Some of our members have made their own. I made one, firstly I made a cutout template out of strong cardboard, and used three eighth inch plywood then cut it in half with a finger hole near the back bumper, joined both halves underneath by piano hinge and covered the thing with a light cloth material a couple of felt pads on the resting points and hey presto a great deck board.!!

• Like 6

In my experience, they don't seem to be a common thing in the UK, so that probably gives an impression of no real demand for them.

We've had them in our last two i20's and found them quite useful. When going on holiday,we store items such as walking poles, binoculars, tablet, laptop, etc beneath the deck board, with the suitcases and other luggage on top. As well as being removable to allow for a deeper boot, the I20 boards fold in half so you can divide the boot space into 3 sections if need.

• Like 3

Ah, I thought that.  My FWD Yaris Cross has two deck boards.  The lower one covers the spare wheel and the upper is a two piece rigid board so you don't have to lift the entire deck. 

As stuff in the lower deck can slide I added non-slip mats

The spare wheel well can be used for 'deep' storage.  I have towels and gloves etc. 

• Like 5

Ours has them?! Maybe it was a limited option? We got our Cross April 2022, but shortly afterwards, the spec was changed slightly.

• Like 4

Indeed, if the car is awd no two levels boot floor but if only fwd there are available as standard, although similar to the parcel shelf cover these are ultra thin and flimsy. Seems like some of latest Toyota models are a bit too much diy oriented 🙂, similar to kit cars , they offer many opportunities for diy work to include extra sound proofing, additional accessories for exterior, interior, 👍

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Indeed, if the car is awd no two levels boot floor but if only fwd there are available as standard, although similar to the parcel shelf cover these are ultra thin and flimsy. Seems like some of latest Toyota models are a bit too much diy oriented 🙂, similar to kit cars , they offer many opportunities for diy work to include extra sound proofing, additional accessories for exterior, interior, 👍

The Cross is here to stay for a bit but I’ll seriously look around next time.  I could get a top of the range CX-5 for the same money and they are luxurious by comparison.  

• Like 2

But can you hoon it round the countryside and still get more MPG than most motorcycles? :naughty: 

I will say that Toyotas are not high-end or luxury cars (Even if the price hikes make it seem like they should be!).

The deck board thing is a bit of a bugbear - With my 2009 Mk2, it didn't get any deck board (I wanted to get one but even breakers wanted over £70 for it! :eek: ), but the pre-2009 ones all came with two boot-side storage boxes AND a deck board! What's up with that??

Even my Mk4 is supposed to have a deck board for a flat loading area according to the aussie and euro reviews, but again not the UK ones!

• Like 4

I will say that Toyotas are not high-end

They're giving bigger/more expensive cars a run for their money! Not sure how they're not "high end". It won't leave you stranded at the side of the road, or catch fire!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

They're giving bigger/more expensive cars a run for their money! Not sure how they're not "high end". It won't leave you stranded at the side of the road, or catch fire!

Reliability is never in doubt.  That’s why I own one.  There are a few issues that undermine the feeling of quality.  I get the Yaris isn’t a RAV but it isn’t cheap either.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, anchorman said:

Reliability is never in doubt.  That’s why I own one.  There are a few issues that undermine the feeling of quality.  I get the Yaris isn’t a RAV but it isn’t cheap either.  

What do you find problematic? Just curious! I can't think of anything that really needs improvement. Gen. 4 fixed the major issue I have with the gen. 3 (steering feel/suspension). It's more refined overall.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

What do you find problematic? Just curious! I can't think of anything that really needs improvement. Gen. 4 fixed the major issue I have with the gen. 3 (steering feel/suspension). It's more refined overall.

Not problematic, just poor.  Interior lights are a joke, horn, that boot cover.  The floor cover isn’t a carpet it’s a cardboard liner, the featherweight mats are minimal quality, yes, they give them to to you but that cardboard wouldn’t make it out of warranty without them.  Mine are done most days but anybody that doesn’t vac regularly will have problems.  The lack of sound deadening in panels reduces weight and does detract but could add and could add refinement that you get with other cars.  I like the car but I find these things disappointing because it wouldn’t cost much to sort them.  

• Like 3

Regarding the cardboard liner, I was surprised but then thought it might be more suitable for an SUV.  Lots of mud, easy to wash, mats hoovered. 

• Like 2

I can confirm all that anchorman says even without owning one but just from seating in at the showroom. Aygo Yaris, Yaris cross , are a bit lower grade in terms of interior materials even in comparison to Corolla. Where Corolla is a bit lower to my old Auris, no joke at all. It seems later models manufacturers are giving away tablets but make savings from other things. and if I show you my original Toyota carpet mats I will make you jealous 😂 👍 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I just mean in terms of luxury/opulence - They've very firmly delineated that between them and Lexus! You'll get what I mean if you play around with a Lexus SUV vs a Toyota SUV (I don't think Lexus make normal cars any more, except maybe massive executive saloons!).

They do seem like it price-wise tho' :laugh: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/24/2023 at 2:24 PM, TonyHSD said:

I can confirm all that anchorman says even without owning one but just from seating in at the showroom. Aygo Yaris, Yaris cross , are a bit lower grade in terms of interior materials even in comparison to Corolla. Where Corolla is a bit lower to my old Auris, no joke at all. It seems later models manufacturers are giving away tablets but make savings from other things. and if I show you my original Toyota carpet mats I will make you jealous 😂 👍 

My daughter has a really nice Auris and it’s quite refined. It has proper carpets.  I’d call the Cross things mats, not carpets.  I might buy some decent heavyweights.  

• Like 3

I bought the genuine Toyota rubber mat set for my Yaris  , they may not be as comfortable underfoot as the carpet mats but will hopefully protect what's underneath. And if and when I sell it , I'll put the new mats back in..

• Like 6

Pricey but fairly well made and they have a good lip, which stops water running off them onto the carpet!

• Like 5

First thing I changed in my car was removing the carpets for Toyota rubber ones.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links