Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross - Why no parcel shelf? Why no rear-seat lighting

TopGeek

13 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

100% on that 👍 although I believe that whoever designed these covers never  even seen a radios like that. , it’s purely a cost saving thing. These days cars comes with screens, batteries, and all sort if tech but the paint, parcel shelf and interior light are optional 😅

I've noticed that estates usually come with a rollout or concertina cover, and Toyota describe the Yaris Cross as an estate for some reason (looks like a hatchback to me)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TopGeek said:

Thanks for your comments Roy. Let's face it, the vast majority of cars, whether saloons or 5-door, do have a solid parcel shelf. In the case of 5-door vehicles, the shelf can easily be removed. My objection to the fabric version is that it would be easily torn and that it doesn't inhibit road noise. A solid shelf is also a useful place for rear-seat passengers to put hats, scarfs, gloves, etc., so long as they don't restrict rear-view visibility. I agree that the last thing to put there would be parcels.

You are right sbout the road noise issue. Saloon versions of hatchbacks are quieter because the rear shelf is solid and sealed from the boot. Manufacturers don't use much, if any, soundproofing in the load area . During my road test of a Yaris Icon I could hear the noise from the rear. I will be fitting some sound deadening materials on the boot floor, wheelarches and spare wheel well.

• Like 2

Reflecting on these improvements,  when cars were basic and any extras added, such as radios or screen washers 🙂 were improvements that we hoped would be reflected in any future trade-in before it fell to pieces with rust.  My two British cars a Ford and a Triumph I had undersealed from new.  Probably made them saleable.

Today, I suspect that we fall into two groups, those who plan to keep their cars and enjoy the benefit of any improvements we make and those who expect to trade-in in 2 or 3 years.

I suppose noise deadening might be worthwhile for the latter group if you do a high mileage.  Even at 12,000 miles per year I would get little benefit.  Without my hearing aids the Yaris is as noisy as a Bentley.  🙂

• Like 4

4 hours ago, cruiserOAP said:

I fitted the Fire button from a Chieftain tank (don't ask) in the dashboard, wired to the starter solenoid.

I'm asking!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ralph H said:

Here you go top photo is rear door bottom one is front 

CFA00CC2-09CF-449A-BB44-9683BC41CA33.thumb.jpeg.6f8b358cc8121b3cecad62718362e4a5.jpeg

5D810F26-D2AC-40DC-BF4B-32F5A40113EF.thumb.jpeg.ab816fe80c415e3af658c4863bef281e.jpeg

Mine was a design but it definitely didn’t have that plug Ralph.  It looks more like a cover for a screw but can’t be sure.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, anchorman said:

Mine was a design but it definitely didn’t have that plug Ralph.  It looks more like a cover for a screw but can’t be sure.  

I don’t think the dynamic I tested had it either, that grade had been withdrawn by that time so I ordered the excel. In the 6 months it took to arrive they refreshed the model with a different infotainment system and trim materials in the front doors. So I think they also did a cost cutting exercise on everything else as well. 

• Like 2

Well these are the manual rear windows handle covers.
Perhaps Toyota run out of rear door interior cards for higher trim levels and started to use these from a lower spec cars available on other markets which still comes with rear door manual windows. Eastern Europe Yaris cross entry levels has rear manual windows. https://www.toyota.bg/new-cars/yaris-cross/build?path=customize/5c933238-df10-41c5-b921-a2e4d25ef931/47ab990e-dc61-44c0-b3b6-357a1380cfb7&c=b4da34a1-391c-4b57-a153-13ac02e8da7f&u=214de403-424f-466d-bfb0-65a489e097ca&financeOption=cash

And here a non hybrid Yaris cross 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 5:54 PM, Roy124 said:

My SAABs all had solid wooden and carpeted shelves. I can't remember my Ford's, but my last Mercedes had the roller style cover and a roller dog guard too. 

I remember a problem with the lightweight composition one on the Corolla. When it was clipped to the tail gate it rose to a perfect height to brain you as you leant forward. 

I had a similar problem with my Qashqai; the fibrous rough edge gave me a few nasty scrapes.

I imagine that the people who make solid parcel shelfs will soon realise that there is an aftermarket opportunity here. As a direct replacement for the flimsy OEM cover, it would tilt up out of the way when the boot is open.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, anchorman said:

I’m not keen on several things that are cheap.  I’d prefer a decent parcel shelf because there is a lot of noise comes from the boot floor.  I’ve addressed the root cause of that but I’ll maybe come back to the parcel shelf.   As for the lighting, yes, it’s appalling for a Toyota, absolutely pathetic.  You can fit leds to the front which is a step change.  That plastic cover at the back is actually access to the sharkfin aerial but it is helpful for getting in the roof space.  I’ve run a wire from the front left light to the rear but used a VW group vanity light which has a perfect colour match surround and either fades in and out with the doors or comes on with the left switch.  It’s not super bright but at least saves rear seat passengers fumbling in the dark with the seat belts.  Mine has a pan roof but I’d put it a little further forward in a plain head lining.  

That's great stuff Don. Just goes to show how easy it would have been for Toyota to have done somethig similar. I also have the panoramic roof but youve given me an idea of where to start.

I put bright white interior LED bulbs in my Qashqai so will do the same with the Cross.

I also asked my dealer about upgrading the feeble horn and they said they couldn't do it. They warned me that, if I did it myself, it would invalidate the warranty.

5 hours ago, TopGeek said:

They warned me that, if I did it myself, it would invalidate the warranty.

Idiots.  You could invalidate the warranty on the horn but they wouldn’t know anyway.  It won’t cause any harm, it’s protected by a fuse and a relay.  

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Well these are the manual rear windows handle covers.
Perhaps Toyota run out of rear door interior cards for higher trim levels and started to use these from a lower spec cars available on other markets which still comes with rear door manual windows. Eastern Europe Yaris cross entry levels has rear manual windows. https://www.toyota.bg/new-cars/yaris-cross/build?path=customize/5c933238-df10-41c5-b921-a2e4d25ef931/47ab990e-dc61-44c0-b3b6-357a1380cfb7&c=b4da34a1-391c-4b57-a153-13ac02e8da7f&u=214de403-424f-466d-bfb0-65a489e097ca&financeOption=cash

And here a non hybrid Yaris cross 

You can see manual rear windows?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, anchorman said:

You can see manual rear windows?

Yes I saw them on the website on the interior page and only two buttons switch on the drivers door. 

• Like 2

Mystery solved they’re the same ones as in the icon spec

41A47ED8-FCB1-48B8-872C-F4C16A151D9B.thumb.jpeg.542e9c5fc0b922eea26e575766d71c3f.jpeg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I'm asking!

I was a REME technician, and had the button lying about. Bright red, 2 inches across with FIRE  written across it. I invented the whole starter button thing in 1972! It looked great fitted in the middle of the dashboard. My excuse was that the Amazon was built like a tank, so why not!  Had to rig up a relay to disable it after the engine started though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Odd that Toyota specced a soft parcel shelf.  Id prefer a better sound proofed harder shelf.  But its not a major issue for me, just something small I hope they improve for the MK2

• Like 2

I never put anything on the parcel shelf and so I quite like the twist, fold and store nature of the soft cover.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IT Troll said:

I never put anything on the parcel shelf and so I quite like the twist, fold and store nature of the soft cover.

Perhaps it has a double use yet to be discovered as a privacy sun shade on the rear window 👌👍

15 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Its been many a year since i had two 6" x 9" Speakers and a box of Kleenex on my parcel shelf, the cover will do for me.  😉

parcel shelf for citroen c1 for Sale OFF 60%

• Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 7:05 AM, Ralph H said:

Mystery solved they’re the same ones as in the icon spec

41A47ED8-FCB1-48B8-872C-F4C16A151D9B.thumb.jpeg.542e9c5fc0b922eea26e575766d71c3f.jpeg

The Icon has rear electric windows according to the spec of the Cross Icon I just ordered?

5 minutes ago, cruiserOAP said:

The Icon has rear electric windows according to the spec of the Cross Icon I just ordered?

In uk all trim levels cones with electric windows all around. In other countries like Slovenia and Bulgaria their most basic trims comes with manual rear windows and likely sand door cards been used in some high end trims while been built as a result of parts supply issues. VW has been using door cards with these circle ️ covers for ages 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also in Italy the Cross comes with 4 electric windows also in the Active ( entry level that's rougly equivalnte to UK Icon ) trim.  But the hatchback entry level ( Active ) has only front electric windows ( without any option for the back ones ). 

I 've noted the covers on a GR Sport in the showroom of my dealer when I went for the service.  But the on the Ralf car at lesat are re grey covers on grey card. 

The car I've seen had black cards wth grey covers... 😱

• Sad 1

I can live with all the niggles these cars has, the parcels covers, the sound proofing or lack of it, the hard plastics in interior, the manual windows covers , everything but what I can’t accept is the rust issues. This is beyond everything and very unacceptable in 2023 for any new car., and this is Toyota?! But this is what happens when they try all possible ways of reduce the costs. 

22 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I can live with all the niggles these cars has, the parcels covers, the sound proofing or lack of it, the hard plastics in interior, the manual windows covers , everything but what I can’t accept is the rust issues. This is beyond everything and very unacceptable in 2023 for any new car., and this is Toyota?! But this is what happens when they try all possible ways of reduce the costs. 

Nobody has had rust proven yet Tony. People seem to think they’ve got rust but I’ve only seen stains that are rusty coloured and I’m not reading the tabloids, I’ve got one.  

9 minutes ago, anchorman said:

Nobody has had rust proven yet Tony. People seem to think they’ve got rust but I’ve only seen stains that are rusty coloured and I’m not reading the tabloids, I’ve got one.  

^^ THIS. Even my Corolla TS has what people believe to be rust around the boot hinges, it’s squidgy like some sort of sealant or adhesive, not flaky like rust. Not sure what Toyota are using on their modern cars, but it gets people worried  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

what I can’t accept is the rust issues.

This has already been done to death in the original topic, so can we please return to this topic's subject ('Why no parcel shelf ....') and leave rust issues to the following -

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links