Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The Awesome Power of the Tsport.

Rhymes with Paris

Well, I am back on the road with the tsport after it's lay up for nearly 3 weeks.

As suspected,it did need a new Battery ,so treated it to a yuasa 5000 , which a kind friend picked up from hellfrauds for £90 and fitted for me, and blew the tyres up aswell.

So out to pay a couple of bills today, and bit of shopping, coming across a roundabout on the bypass, greasy conditions.

Accelerating off the roundabout, I noticed wheelspin in both second and third gear 😮, did not see any lights up on dash re traction control or anything , and not flooring it, tyres are good tread and good quality.

The surface there is the worn out grippy stuff that is often on approaches and exits to and from roundabouts round here.

So it looks like either my driving has deteriorated badly ,or the 20 year old engine is still giving plenty of power to overcome the grip available, still my fault either way.

But if traction control is on there,it worked, with no snaking or danger, just the wheelspin.

Still I am very grateful to be driving about again, and thankful for my friends who have helped me out.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Hello flash, I will have a look tomorrow afternoon, but I have not had new tyres on it since buying in September 2019, so I reckon at least 5 years old.

Is this enough time to lose flexibility and grip?

• Like 2

I wouldn't have thought so, assuming they're not Super Lucky Sum Egg Deech Fynders, but I've never had tyres last that long :laugh: 

They may have developed a flatspot due to sitting for long periods, esp. if left at normal pressures (That's why they inflate them to 60+PSI after manufacture, to stop them getting deformed from sitting for long periods!), but that'll fix itself over time as they're used and the rubber gets a good work out.

It could just be the roads - Don't know what it's like for you lot up in that mysterious place only signposted to us softie southerners as THE NORTH, but down here the roads have been really crap - Lots of swarth as the top layers are delaminating into little gravelly bits, the rain drawing out road chemicals to the surface leaving this slightly oily surface layer.

Or maybe you were temporarily possessed by the spirit of McRae! :eek: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Good to hear you are driving your car. Tyres aged 5 years likely to have lost some elasticity. But if there are no cracks between the threads and on the walls particularly inner walls then you can still drive them. 

• Like 3

Diesel spill? I've been caught out a few times and it's only after when you smell it, you realise.

• Like 2

It depends on the brand 5-6 years old the compound starts to go off, they go soft or rock hard, and you will get wheel spin in the wet/damp braking distances will also be longer

they don't make them like they used to

• Like 4

20 hours ago, flash22 said:

What's the date code on the side wall ?

Had a look today flash, it sounds a bit lame I know, but I simply can't get down close enough to see the codes.

But I could see the make, Mohawk, not sure if these are oriental super lucky deetch fyndeers, as Cyker had me actually laughing for the first time in a while 😅 or a native American make with a deep tread in the middle portion, and bald on the sides.

I was maybe wrongly assuming good quality from the no expense spared history of this car.

• Haha 4

They are budget Yokohama's - bald on both the outer edges means they have been run under inflated

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Accelerating off the roundabout, I noticed wheelspin in both second and third gear 😮, did not see any lights up on dash re traction control or anything , and not flooring it, tyres are good tread and good quality.

We ran both Coopers and Michelin PS4 on the T-sport and lighting up the wheels was pretty much standard behaviour, especially this time of year when the roads are cold and never completely dry. Not so much in a straight line, but any corner or roundabout requires careful metering of the throttle. It's definitely worth spending a bit extra on good tyres - I can recommend Michelin's PS - to get as much traction as you can. Still, that car sorely lacks an LSD. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

They are budget Yokohama's - bald on both the outer edges means they have been run under inflated

It can also mean too much 'enthusiastic' cornering. Don't ask me how I know :whistling1:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

23 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

Diesel spill? I've been caught out a few times and it's only after when you smell it, you realise.

Aye bathtub tom, it is indeed possible that the area is soaked in diesel, that particular bit of the western bypass has more or less a daily accident on that roundabout with a lot of HGVs over turned.

The A 46 dual carriageway heading south changes to a single carriageway on exiting the roundabout, and catches out a lot of drivers with nowhere to go when they realise.

I use it to go across west to east mostly and vice versa when using a village post office to pay bills etc, they are friendly 🙂 and have a book stall.

Didn't smell any on this occasion though.

• Like 3

I do like the interesting pickup on the t sport. Motorway speeds today in 5th, didn't have to drop down to 4th just pressed the pedal and it didn't bog down at all to get rid of a stupid Range Rover tailgater. I quite liked it!

Sadly mine may be up for sale soon... i know I'll regret it but needs must.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Nooooo whyyyy! After all the work you've put into it! :sad: 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, corradovr6 said:

I do like the interesting pickup on the t sport. Motorway speeds today in 5th, didn't have to drop down to 4th just pressed the pedal and it didn't bog down at all to get rid of a stupid Range Rover tailgater. I quite liked it!

Sadly mine may be up for sale soon... i know I'll regret it but needs must.

Hello Hasan,yes I too like the pick up in any gear, even though the original sale blurb on these is a close ratio gearbox, they pull away cleanly.

Shame you are having to sell, but if you have to, I am sure you already know that they come out as ulez free, which may help your sale.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Cyker said:

Nooooo whyyyy! After all the work you've put into it! :sad: 

thanks for the kind words, its one of those cars that gets under your skin so i'm sure i'll probably get another one at some stage...hopefully!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Hello Hasan,yes I too like the pick up in any gear, even though the original sale blurb on these is a close ratio gearbox, they pull away cleanly.

Shame you are having to sell, but if you have to, I am sure you already know that they come out as ulez free, which may help your sale.

yes true, a good point to highlight.  

I'll feel confident in the buyer getting a well sorted car too, although there are one or two things i will look to sort out before the sale.  I think it'll be tough to watch it go though..  We've still got a 2003 corolla and 2010 Rav so i'll still be lurking on the TOC!

• Like 3

They're still popular with people in the know and it should sell easily but don't let it go too cheaply! With the work you've put into it it'll be worth more to the right buyer, esp. if it's mostly stock. I just hope whoever buys it doesn't ruin it with silly mods...!

• Like 2

Indeed. Last summer i saw a good range from around £2.5k up to around £4.5k for a low miler. Mine has around 105k so might be somewhere in the middle i suppose?  Yes you're right, mine are just OEM+ mods as its really very pleasant in standard guise. Just need to do the drivers door rattle, the final sound deadening in the d/s rear quarter, reshampoo the carpets, and if I've got time (and weather permitting), I'll try and paint the calipers (silver).  I do think these subtle tidy-ups really enhance the driving enjoyment.

By the way, do we have a For Sale section here? Like you say, i would definitely prefer it went to someone here who will appreciate it for what it is.

• Like 2

There is a for sale section on here Hasan, I will be thinking the same when it becomes time for me to sell,if I ever do.

I didn't realise that the values for these were as high as that 🙂 , so hope you get a good price,if you still have to sell.

I suppose I'll have to take the backlit spinners off though if I do eventually sell , they are not to all tastes.

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

found the for sale section, thanks for the heads-up on that Paul.  Seems to be a fair range of prices, between about 1500 and 4000 for a very low mileage ones. Mine is certainly not one of those, its at around 108k, so thinking of £2500. I'm fully aware of the negatives on it, eg front wing respray is slightly different in colour, some scratches on the roof etc.   I'd welcome any suggestions if you think its in the right ballpark.  Need to give it a good wash and polish again.  I'll also post up the pics of the things i think take away from it being as good as it could be, although time permitting i'll try and get those sorted. 

I'll also try and summarise what i've done to the car both mechanically and cosmetically.  One of the big achievements, i feel, is the reduction in rattles and road noise! Makes it a nice and pleasant (and fun!) drive.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2023 at 11:53 AM, corradovr6 said:

found the for sale section, thanks for the heads-up on that Paul.  Seems to be a fair range of prices, between about 1500 and 4000 for a very low mileage ones. Mine is certainly not one of those, its at around 108k, so thinking of £2500. I'm fully aware of the negatives on it, eg front wing respray is slightly different in colour, some scratches on the roof etc.   I'd welcome any suggestions if you think its in the right ballpark.  Need to give it a good wash and polish again.  I'll also post up the pics of the things i think take away from it being as good as it could be, although time permitting i'll try and get those sorted. 

I'll also try and summarise what i've done to the car both mechanically and cosmetically.  One of the big achievements, i feel, is the reduction in rattles and road noise! Makes it a nice and pleasant (and fun!) drive.

I don't think that you are far off on that Hasan, the 4 grand ones seem to be very low mileage dealer ones, with of course the dealer margin built-in.

And the miley rough ones from around a grand.

If you do decide to sell,on here, or on such as fleabay, you probably already know, but it is very important to describe all faults to avoid people travelling and being disappointed.

You could try it at that price, and see what offers come in, but of course London prices are different from round here, so you may get a really good offer, hope so anyway 🙂

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links