Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Immobilisers, Trackers and security

SO8

Now, I know these don’t stop the low life types doing all the damage to the car or wiring loom trying to steal it … but an immobiliser can stop them and a tracker can get the car back if they succeed .

Has anyone gone down the aftermarket route ?

My dealer has said a tracker or immobiliser would not be regarded as something that would invalidate the warranty, especially as not offered by Toyota at a time when there are theft issues.

I have a Meta S5 Deadlock taken off my old car which I am looking to fit to the Rav4. It is a Category 5 tracker so a tracker but also with a separate immobiliser.   I had it on my old car for 4 years and it was faultless.  It cost me £600 and the subscription is still valid, albeit on hold.  The immobiliser is simpler than the likes of a Ghost but less invasive I guess as more ‘old school’ not linked into the canbus.  

Failing that, looking at maybe just the tracker element without the immobiliser, and a canbus type immobiliser like a Scorpion X or Ghost 2?

This in addition to my steering lock !   I currently have both Stoplock Pro and Disklok to chose from …. But have bought a Milenco lock, but it seems a bit loose and I’ll fitting compared to the other two tbh so might go back.  

I have the Milenco and very happy with the fit as I feel it’s unlikely to mark or damage the steering wheel. It’s very robust and police recommended some of the others I looked at did seem likely to cause rubbing/marking especially if knocked or caught when I got into the car.

Each to their own I guess.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

I have the Milenco and very happy with the fit as I feel it’s unlikely to mark or damage the steering wheel. It’s very robust and police recommended some of the others I looked at did seem likely to cause rubbing/marking especially if knocked or caught when I got into the car.

Each to their own I guess.

I might give it more of a try … it’s obviously strong and easy to put on/off.

The Disklok is solid but a bit fiddly to get off.  I am afraid I will bang the trim which defo won’t happen with the Milenco or Stoplock Pro !

• Like 1

I have the Stoplock Pro and I use it overnight. I can now take it off without tooting the horn nearly every time now 🙄

• Like 3

Just re tried the Milenco and it fits without moving about. Unsure what exactly I have done differently but it seems good.

am I right in thinking it would need three cuts of the steering wheel to remove it ?  Stoplock needs two ?  

54 minutes ago, SO8 said:

Just re tried the Milenco and it fits without moving about. Unsure what exactly I have done differently but it seems good.

am I right in thinking it would need three cuts of the steering wheel to remove it ?  Stoplock needs two ?  

If you fit the Stoplock around the RH spoke it would need at least 3 cuts to remove it, and that's if it could be done without waking up half the neighbourhood. 

image.jpeg.bfede42a4d0039d99c904fdbfb52f638.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Strangely Brown said:

If you fit the Stoplock around the RH spoke it would need at least 3 cuts to remove it, and that's if it could be done without waking up half the neighbourhood. 

image.jpeg.bfede42a4d0039d99c904fdbfb52f638.jpeg

Well, I now have Stoplock Pro, Stoplock Pro Elite x 2 , Disklok and a Milenco to choose from 🤣🤣

This is because we had three cars but I’ve got divorced so now just the Rav4 PHEV … and a host of locks to choose from as the wife didn’t want to take one for her C-HR when she left …. 

In some ways I'd choose the easiest to fit, that still offers a high degree of security, as I'm more likely to fit it even if it's going to be for a short period. If it's a pain in the btm then it can be the case that it will get left off.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
El 5/01/2023 a las 15:49, Strangely Brown dijo:

Si colocas el Stoplock alrededor del radio derecho, necesitarías al menos 3 cortes para quitarlo, y eso si se pudiera hacer sin despertar a la mitad del vecindario. 

imagen.jpeg.bfede42a4d0039d99c904fdbfb52f638.jpeg

Hola,

¿Podría confirmar que Stoplock Pro (no Elite) se adapta al Toyota Rav4 2019? ¿Difícil de instalar o fácil?

Saludos y gracias de antemano!!

Hola. Welcome. 

I'm also interested in this answer (I haven't yet bought a wheel lock). 

I was under the impression the Pro didn't fit too well, and that the Elite was required. 

I went to Halfords and tried both. Probably sensible to do the same. Alternatively, go for the Pro Elite that will definitely fit, albeit a little slack (that doesn't affect the effectiveness of it if you fit as recommended, which is to put the bars on the locking bit either side of a steering wheel spoke)

Some have had success with the Pro but there was no chance of it fitting without pressing on the horn when I tried it. I'd suggest it might be down to slight manufacturing tolerances on the bend of the Stoplock (rather than steering wheel differences). You might be lucky and get one that has a slightly deeper bend and will fit nice and snug.

• Like 1

These look a good visual deterrent!

Has anyone any experience of the Carlock obd tracker ? I know there’s a monthly subscription but it may help in recovering a stolen vehicle, it also has the added advantage of giving the current Battery voltage status which appears to be a problem with hybrids 

22 minutes ago, Basil-BarryC said:

Has anyone any experience of the Carlock obd tracker ? I know there’s a monthly subscription but it may help in recovering a stolen vehicle, it also has the added advantage of giving the current battery voltage status which appears to be a problem with hybrids 

Couldn't you just register with MyToyota and press the "find my car" button?

3 minutes ago, Chas G said:

Was asking regarding a neighbour’s vehicle ( Non Toyota )

I do have the MyToyota app to locate my vehicle 👍

19 minutes ago, Basil-BarryC said:

Was asking regarding a neighbour’s vehicle ( Non Toyota )

I do have the MyToyota app to locate my vehicle 👍

Probably a daft question but is there a monthly subscription for the toyota app service?

1 hour ago, Chas G said:

Probably a daft question but is there a monthly subscription for the toyota app service?

I Think it depends on the Toyota model but if I remember correctly the connected services package for the new Corolla models is free for the first 4 years

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chas G said:

One of the first things professional car thieves disable once they have driven the vehicle away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Basil-BarryC said:

Has anyone any experience of the Carlock obd tracker ? I know there’s a monthly subscription but it may help in recovering a stolen vehicle, it also has the added advantage of giving the current battery voltage status which appears to be a problem with hybrids 

Anything plugged in to a modern Toyota OBD port will be quickly found & removed making it pointless as a tracking device. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are plenty of tracker subscription services out there, something that can be hidden and give you a good reliable service, we have them on our delivery vans 

• Like 2

The factory fitted Toyota security system is also easily upgraded to protect against CAN invader / OBD theft methods. 

2 hours ago, forkingabout said:

The factory fitted Toyota security system is also easily upgraded to protect against CAN invader / OBD theft methods. 

Is it? I have not heard of this. Could you please provide more details?

ETA: reply received via PM. Thanks.

8 hours ago, Toyotero95 said:

Hola,

¿Podría confirmar que Stoplock Pro (no Elite) se adapta al Toyota Rav4 2019? ¿Difícil de instalar o fácil?

Saludos y gracias de antemano!!

Hola,

I can't offer any guarantees but it fits fine on my 2021 Excel. I would recommend you find a Halfords and try both. I found the Elite to be way too big/loose so it was a hard no for me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2024 at 5:30 PM, forkingabout said:

Can you share more details on this please?

2 hours ago, chilaspt said:

Can you share more details on this please?

Just so that there is no confusion: what @forkingabout means by that is that additional third-party systems can be installed to complement the OE system. It is not a case of the OE system itself being upgraded, which would be nice. 

Thanks, what are people using besides the steering wheel lock and metal plates?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links