Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Use of auto wash facilities

Mrs Scoobington

Could I trouble peeps for thoughts on using IMO type automated car washes, bearing in mind that 'neutral' gear is seemingly to be avoided ar all costs in Hybrids (I understand to protect the battery).  Always used our local one in the past because a) can't hand wash myself and b) cheaper than hand car wash places nearby with just as good a result.

Appreciate lots of folks don't like IMO washes, scratches on paintwork etc., but I can honestly say I've never had an issue, nor has the other half in his motor, and I'm not precious on the paintwork of my car.   More damage from stone chips than we've ever had with auto wash places.

Look forward to your thoughts/comments/advice.

I would avoid any auto wash.

I too cannot handwash my own car anymore sadly, but would not use auto wash at all.

I understand you saying that you are not precious about the paintwork, but you have a nearly new car worth a lot of money.

Stone chips can be fixed, swirling and scratching over the whole body cannot, without a full re spray,or at best machine polishing by a professional, even then it will thin the paint.

As you say though, opinions on these things differ, there was another thread about this subject not too long ago, but I can't remember the consensus.

PS, have a look at the trust pilot reviews.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Why does neutral matter? What they mean is, don't leave it in gear! Park will be fine.

Scratches...YMMV. I wouldn't do it, but if you need to, then that's that.

Let us know how it goes! 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Each method can have it's own issues - whether it is DIY hand wash, hand car wash business, auto car wash or jet wash.

Using hand car wash businesses may be no better than automated - you have no control over what they use to wash your car and may also scratch the car. Remember a now ex-member who bought a new Suzuki SUV - used a hand car wash and when he got home realised he had some major scratches on the roof panel from the squeegees used to remove excess water. 

If neither you or your husband can hand wash the car for whatever reason, and you're happy with your local car wash, it is your choice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Why does neutral matter? What they mean is, don't leave it in gear! Park will be fine.

Scratches...YMMV. I wouldn't do it, but if you need to, then that's that.

Let us know how it goes! 👍

YMMV  ???

It does say on the pre wash instructions to leave in neutral.......

I've advise the other half I'm not using IMO going forward.  Hand wash only for me....shame we don't get scouts doing 'bob-a-job' anymore!!

1 minute ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Each method can have it's own issues - whether it is DIY hand wash, hand car wash business, auto car wash or jet wash.

Using hand car wash businesses may be no better than automated - you have no control over what they use to wash your car and may also scratch the car. Remember a now ex-member who bought a new Suzuki SUV - used a hand car wash and when he got home realised he had some major scratches on the roof panel from the squeegees used to remove excess water. 

If neither you or your husband can hand wash the car for whatever reason, and you're happy with your local car wash, it is your choice.

Yes, it's a bit of a lottery isn't it.  Other half said the similar....no idea of what's on the sponges have you!!   To be fair, we've both used various options, and never had a problem, but I think that's down to luck.  

You can leave it in N and finish the car wash process without any trouble. If your hybrid Battery is low and it takes longer to complete the auto wash you will get warning message and eventually the car may shuts off itself. Will remain in N as P its cable operated but I am not sure about the parking brake, it might set its up and cause you issues. Perhaps you will need to disable auto parking brake before you take the car to any car washes like that. 

• Like 3

Hi Sue, I wouldn't put in anywhere near an auto wash as this will cause cause problems with swirls etc etc. If you are unable to do this yourself then take it to a hand car wash as the methods they use generally should not be a problem.

Failing this you could ask any of your neighbours who clean their own cars if they would like to do yours and give them a few quid. 

As it has already been said this is a new car and you really want to take car of it to prevent paintwork issues which in the long run will cost you money for repairs and possibly less of a valuation if you trade it in etc. Saving money in the short term will cost you more in the long run.👍

• Like 1

YMMV = Your Milage May Vary; in other words it might be fine, or scratch it to pieces.

The washer at work is so aggressive it has ripped mirrors off vehicles before (it has since been modified).

• Like 1

Really your choice is a hand wash or auto wash.  I find the prices, like for like, very similar. 

The least expensive might just be soap, body brush and blow dry.  If you pay the higher price you will start to get the minimum hand wash standard. 

Our local, there were 3 and now 2, spray with detergent, body, wheels and glass, then jet wash off.  Next is a hand wash with high foam detergent.  The wheels are also done.  A further wash with clean water followed by hand drying.  Door and boot shuts are done and you don't get that in an auto wash.  Finally tyre rubber is blacked. 

Auto washes also tend to miss sill and under rear bumper and can wreck your wipers. 

If your hand wash misses bits, you can also ask them to ensure they treat that area next time you go. 

• Like 2

As for auto wash or hand wash scratches, there are much worse body damage.  

Don't park under lime trees.  Don't park under pigeon or sea gull flight paths or roosts. 

And don't drive though a shed waggon load of dead day old chicks (done that) or several ton of blue dye powder (that happen near us). 

Wet tar is another good treatment to avoid.  Done that too.  Excellent underseal but a sod to remove from body work. 

• Like 2

By the way, if taking to an auto wash and you got the kick-to-open electric boot, is there a way to make sure a jet of water doesnt actuate it? I suppose it actually requires a fob actually near the rear door but it sounds like an expensive thing to happen 😄

• Like 1

I’ve used automatic car washes now for over 20 years probably about once a month never had a problem. I’m not too paranoid about paintwork either. I tend to change my car every 3 years and my last one was immaculate when I traded it in, they even asked if it had paint protection applied. Which it hadn’t. 

• Like 1

I took my hybrid through an IMO car wash once. Once was more than enough. Went through in neutral and got about half way through the car started beeping and there was some message about the hybrid Battery (can't remember what though). The sensors screamed all the way through. 

Since then I have taken it to to a hand car wash. They are great. There is always a queue and they take their time with each car. Their customers know they will have to wait and are happy to do so.

• Like 1

Never had an issue with my prius leaving it in neutral in an auto car wash.  Ever. 

Can't say the same. Maybe it's model specific, but my C-HR didn't like it at all

Neutral means the 12v Battery is on its own. 

If this is the one where the car is dragged through and requires all wheels to be free to rotate then there is a problem. 

Won't get in to the con's of auto washes as this wasn't the OP's question.

As mentioned above, the problem isn't with neutral ( what other purpose would the N be for if not freeing the driving wheels? ) but the auto brake.

I believe in the Yaris, as soon as the power is switched off the auto brake engages so the only way to overcome this would be to enter the autowash but keep the Battery switched on. Which is a really, really bad idea. Would you be covered by your or the operators insurance if the car was damaged?

How much is expensive?  Guys at our local jet/foam wash take £7 to clean a car.

• Like 1

Just now, Roy124 said:

Neutral means the 12v battery is on its own. 

If this is the one where the car is dragged through and requires all wheels to be free to rotate then there is a problem. 

Which is why I got the hybrid warning. Also, every time a brush came near the sensors they would go crazy.

Am I missing something or why neutral? Or it sounds like a manual thing first and foremost, so that if the car gets pushed into motion the engine won't start-kinda thing. But if you have an automatic, why wouldnt you set it to parking?

11 minutes ago, Big_D said:

Which is why I got the hybrid warning. Also, every time a brush came near the sensors they would go crazy.

Same in the hand wash but not as bad. 

9 minutes ago, CruxisCore said:

But if you have an automatic, why wouldnt you set it to parking?

Because Park applies the EPB and the car won't move.  It depends on the car wash. It drags you through but at the end your front wheels are locked. 

Two of these type of car wash have reverted to manual. Besides which, immigrant labour costs peanuts compared to a machine wash and is a better way to launder money up there with nail bars, fish tanks and personal services. 

I’ve always enjoyed washing my own cars, I don’t even allow the garage to wash my car after it’s been serviced, I’ll keep washing my cars for as long as I’m able, the only downside is pushing it out of my garage, I don’t like starting the engine for brief periods ( backing out of the garage) as this causes the most damage, I’m hoping that when I eventually get my cross, I’ll be able to back out using electric only..?, thus making it easier and prolong my car washing days…

• Like 1

Alan, correct with two provos: switch off the aircon before starting and on cold days it will probably start anyway. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links