Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Changed Driving Habits

glencrannog

Since purchasing a Yaris Cross just over a week ago, I feel my driving habits/attitude seems to have changed. With all the gizmos the Yaris has, prompting you here, there and everywhere of your stile of driving, I feel overhaul it is a good thing. I'm even more conscious of fuel efficiency/stile of driving etc.. Not that I was a boy racer before, as I have always tried to be aware of fuel mpg. Averaging, if you believe what it says, 69 miles per gallon. Really pleased with that, and as I've read in other articles, adding a couple of minutes to my journey is relaxing me more. Didn't do any research before buying the Yaris. It was more a case of finding a car that suited 2 people with reduced mobility. So with buying more or less "blind," I think I've reaped the benefits in more ways than one.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, glencrannog said:

Since purchasing a Yaris Cross just over a week ago, I feel my driving habits/attitude seems to have changed. With all the gizmos the Yaris has, prompting you here, there and everywhere of your stile of driving, I feel overhaul it is a good thing. I'm even more conscious of fuel efficiency/stile of driving etc.. Not that I was a boy racer before, as I have always tried to be aware of fuel mpg. Averaging, if you believe what it says, 69 miles per gallon. Really pleased with that, and as I've read in other articles, adding a couple of minutes to my journey is relaxing me more. Didn't do any research before buying the Yaris. It was more a case of finding a car that suited 2 people with reduced mobility. So with buying more or less "blind," I think I've reaped the benefits in more ways than one.

I had a couple of niggles that I’ve addressed myself but there’s no denying it’s a mechanical/electrical marvel.  I’ve certainly slowed down although I can make “reasonable progress” when I need to.  I agree, it’s changed me too.  

• Like 5

I’ve driven like this most of my driving life, it’s strange how people have to overtake at all costs to get to the next traffic queue, I currently get 50+ from my mild hybrid so I can’t wait to see how well I can do when I get my cross…

• Like 4

Hybrid is a very different way of driving, most adapt to it, others buy a BMW

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

I did a 150 miles there and back on Friday.  The mpg was 70.8 and the average speed was 37mph.

The second half, 75 miles, was 72.8mpg and 41mph.  The car was warmed up and the temperature higher.  However, the second half also had a height gain of 350feet.

The whole route was on rural A and B roads. 

I must admit to being impressed with BMW acceleration and braking. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

That's amazing consumption

• Like 2

Yall got more tips for someone who doesnt really have more experience with hybrids other than a few test drives? On a twisty country road I managed 50% EV mode by accident with a test drive Yaris Cross 😄

Watched this youtube video from Toyota on this topic and the lady said that going downhill letting go of the pedal and gently braking would provide the most recharge. Although in a way it sounds counter productive braking if not necessary speed wise but I guess it is what it is.

How about long trips on straight flat roads? I'm used to kinda just zombie'ing it with adaptive cruise as I drive this one route regularly that is 1½h of rather straight road with no hills or twists with steady speed limit. Is there something actually to be gained with manual control of the pedal or is cruise the most efficient?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, glencrannog said:

Excellent MPG that 👍 am getting 67.2 at moment and that is with a few country roads in the mix in my Yaris 21 Hybrid.

• Like 2

I dunno if it's a tip, bit since owning hybrids I've been much more conscious of avoiding pointless acceleration, but that's because in a hybrid you can see the effect straightaway as the engine stops or runs low rpm.

You can hypermile easily or you can drive it like a "normal" car and still get great mpg.

• Like 2

I think the driving summary when you switch off is a bit too snow flakey.  It says “good driving but”, where as it might hit home more if it said “yes, bggr off you useless wazzock, if this was a taxi I wouldn’t pay you with washers” or “what was that you club footed pillock”.   Being thanked all the time has done Cyker no good, he’s worn half of London’s tarmac out.  By the way Cyker, if that busy body Mickey steps out just look down and be adjusting something on the dash will you 😉

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

I dunno if it's a tip, bit since owning hybrids I've been much more conscious of avoiding pointless acceleration, but that's because in a hybrid you can see the effect straightaway as the engine stops or runs low rpm.

You can hypermile easily or you can drive it like a "normal" car and still get great mpg.

Since ordering mine I've started to already be a little conscious about it too as I'm kinda already "planning" on where I can most likely coast and recharge on my daily commute (altho im probably 3-4 months away from my YC). I do notice I use a lot of pointless accelerating when I could've manage with coasting even with an Aygo X 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CruxisCore said:

Since ordering mine I've started to already be a little conscious about it too as I'm kinda already "planning" on where I can most likely coast and recharge on my daily commute (altho im probably 3-4 months away from my YC). I do notice I use a lot of pointless accelerating when I could've manage with coasting even with an Aygo X 

Get used to driving it first, you’ll immediately start getting good mileage but it will be very much subdued while the car is tight.  You’ll find that as you become familiar with it and it loosens off and the weather is getting warmer, everything is with you and by then you’ll be better placed to start experimenting 👍

• Like 2

I have found after driving my wife's MK4 Yaris a few times ,when I get into my Audi A3 diesel I am driving more economically and am more aware of my driving style 

So that's a bonus for me 🙂🙂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CruxisCore said:

Watched this youtube video from Toyota on this topic and the lady said that going downhill letting go of the pedal and gently braking would provide the most recharge.

How about long trips on straight flat roads? I'm used to kinda just zombie'ing it with adaptive cruise as I drive this one route regularly that is 1½h of rather straight road with no hills or twists with steady speed limit. Is there something actually to be gained with manual control of the pedal or is cruise the most efficient?

Regarding braking down hill.   Brakes generate heat.  Heat is wasted energy.  Going downhill let the car do its thing.  Use the B selection on long descents. 

I use ACC on long journeys but watch for the following:

If traffic slows ACC may not respond until you are close behind.  Anticipate and disengage early. 

When traffic speed picks up ACC will pick up too.  Read ahead, you will see problems long before the ACC.  Traffic lights and speed limits are good examples. 

ACC will maintain speed up a hill. Everything else being equal let speed bleed off up hill and let gravity regain it downhill. 

ACC is more relaxing.  Knowing when to use manual needs more concentration. 

• Like 1

First real long run (62 Miles) today. A mixture of Urban and Country roads. Really pleased to be up to 74.6 mpg. It has definitely altered my driving style as it always keeps you aware of how you are doing. Feeling a bit more relaxed. Still getting used to doing things a bit differently, but enjoying it immensely. The acid test will come in a weeks time when we holiday in the Lincoln area. Instead of going down a fast A1 road for 150 miles or so, I've decide to go via Malton/Hull etc. on quieter roads. It will be interesting to see what happens.

• Like 3

Toyota hybrids are indeed one of the more relaxing cars to drive and very efficient. These should be wide spread used as learner cars because once you have understand and get use to the way they drive then after you will likely drive other cars in the similar way., except of course a sport cars. 
For the cruise control on flat roads will be as efficient or even before than driver manual control but on hills the driver can achieve better fuel consumption and overall experience. 👍

• Like 2

Never really been a fan of cruise control on cars i have had. Much prefer just the pleasure of "man over machine!"

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Toyota hybrids are indeed one of the more relaxing cars to drive and very efficient.

So true. Since I've had my Hybrid, I've slowed down and feel so much more relaxed when I get to my destination. Just as @glencrannogsays, I prefer to drive. I find when I use cruise control my consumption is not as good as it could be. I tend to use the speed limiter rather than the cruise control

• Like 3

I also find I get better mpg driving manually, which is a bit surprising if you saw my normal driving style :laugh: 

But the CC does have its uses - When I go visit my brother in 'The North', I tend to drive if I take the A5, but if I'm on the M1 it gets so boring and monotonous, esp through the 50mph Smart Motorway road work sections (Weren't they supposed to be stopping that??) that I usually use the cruise control as it's more than capable of handling that!

I usually take the A5 tho'  :whistling1: :naughty:

• Like 2

Got my all time record on this morning’s commute 86.9mpg you can tell the weather is warming up. 

IMG_1705.thumb.jpeg.21a62be4ed6ccc07f295784b754da528.jpeg

• Like 4

Just wondered if anyone has tried brim to brim fuel consumption and not relying on the trip computer, or is this really accurate?..

• Like 1

For a number of years, I have used my own spreadsheet to record my petrol and mileage, amonst other things. After 3 or 4 fill ups you start to get a good average mpg and obviously, the more fill ups, the more accurate the results. I have only had to fill the new Yaris Cross once so far, so can only go on what the car is telling me. I filled up last Friday and the petrol gauge is showing about half full, so I think I have a good few days driving left in the tank. When I arrived home a few hours ago, the car was telling me it was doing 24.6 kms/litre, which equates to 69.5 mpg. Once I have filled up a few times and the car has 'loosened up' I think I will exceed that figure by a large amount. I would always believe my figures over what the car is showing.

• Like 3

I do exactly the same as @dannyboy413. I use a spreadsheet to log mileage and fill ups. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, glencrannog said:

. The acid test will come in a weeks time when we holiday in the Lincoln area. Instead of going down a fast A1 road for 150 miles or so, I've decide to go via Malton/Hull etc. on quieter roads. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I did a there and back run to London on the A1 at 65 and London at 20.  No real change in consumption. 

Two long runs across Netherlands, 56 and again no real change.  It was cooler so still in the winter range. 

Your quieter roads may have more speed changes so and improvement due to slower speed may be negated. 

In contrast to the long runs, I did two there and back last night on C roads, 18 miles total, 30 mph, 50% EV and 65 mpg. Again is was cool. 

• Like 2

I suppose it helps where in the country you live. If I were blindfolded and put in a car and then 30 minutes later it was removed, then I would have a good idea which direction i was going. South-more traffic, North-less traffic.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links