Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

96 mpg

Max_Headroom

Nobody is ever eager to show a picture of 38 in their toy computer 😉

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, anchorman said:

Nobody is ever eager to show a picture of 38 in their toy computer 😉

I see some car adverts the traders showed pictures with super low mpg like 12 or so and me think lol if someone sees those will never call them to ask for that car 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

500 mile Trip next week.

Will publish results.

Tel

• Like 2

I’m averaging 65mpg throughout my area which has some steep hills and I’m delighted with the result.  However, I’m now seeing a trend of hybrid drivers travelling on the motorways at 40-45mph in attempt to squeeze every last drop of petrol out of their tank.  Whilst I admire people who drive as efficiently as possible, this practice is dangerous and causes undue tailbacks with nose to tail traffic causing frustration amongst other drivers.  Hope I haven’t upset any forum members with my comments but motorways were designed for cars to travel at speeds of 70mph to shorten travelling times between major cities.  I’m judging my observations on a stretch of the M74 in Scotland but some of you may have other experiences on the busier M6, M1 and M25 routes.

Some of you may also be aware that I mentioned in a previous post that driving in Paris was the worst experience ever.  Well, I had the misfortune of driving through Athens last week and I’m amazed that I handed the rental car back without any scrapes, bumps or damaged paintwork.  Although Athens is a beautiful city with incredible architectural features, I will never ever drive in this city again.

• Like 3

Athens is worse than Paris?? That's a scary thought!! :eek: 

I have also noticed a slight up-tick in slower drivers too (Interestingly, more larger vehicles, but not the Smartcars or Up!s or Aygos, i10s, etc., who instead seem to be trying to beat the landspeed record half the time :laugh: ), which I wouldn't mind, but many of them just seem glued to Lane 2!!

It's great for me, since I'm usually in Lane 1 and just blast past them, not to mention all the truck drivers who don't have to move over to overtake, since they're undertaking instead, but not so great for everyone else... (Also, am I the only person whose Highway Code has the Keep Left Unless Overtaking rule in it or something? More often than not, aside from truckers, I usually seem to have Lane 1 all to myself!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’ve always been a defensive driver and preferred to travel in the inside lane of the motorway and let others bunch up in the middle and outside lanes.  I like to have an escape route towards the hard shoulder if something goes wrong up ahead but this trend of slow drivers clogging up the inside lane makes this more difficult.

Discuss!

• Like 4

Interesting seeing some EV driving slowly.  I guess the fast EV is doing a short high speed run whereas some are obviously on long distance and eking out the juice. 

On the major dual carriageways or motorway I set the cruise to 62 and travel on lane 1.  This keeps me faster than most HGV.  On other roads I aim for 52-55 and usually l find white van man and BMW hate to be behind me but once passed are usually just in front at lights of roundabout. 

What I must do is use EV on the down slopes to get to 60/70 and allow the speed to drop on the up slope. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jimota said:

.... the inside lane of the motorway and let others bunch up in the middle and outside lanes. ..... 

And often pass those bunched cars in lanes 2 and 3.

• Like 1

Like @Roy124I am quite happy to sit in the slow lane behind an HGV. I stick to the speed limit on other roads and have some motorists overtaking too. I usually end up behind them at the next set of lights too.

• Like 2

Have had a  2021 Yaris for the day (and tomorrow as well), the fuel economy is incredible - my average mpg over 30-40 miles was just over 80mpg. It’s dropped now to around 77mpg after some dual carriageway work (and exploring the performance on offer - equally surprising given the engine size and output).

An excellent replacement for the wife’s 2015 1.33 Yaris when the time is right. 

• Like 3

The Yaris is surprisingly quick. I've often heard my other half say something along the lines of 'golly, am I going that fast already'

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Big_D said:

The Yaris is surprisingly quick. I've often heard my other half say something along the lines of 'golly, am I going that fast already'

It really is. Nippy off the line without dipping into the ‘power zone’ reminds me a lot of its big brother - the 2.0. 

• Like 3

It's great isn't it? :biggrin: 

There are not many cars you can drive 'enthusiastically' and still get stupidly good mpg at the same time :clap: 

If only they'd figured this out faster - Almost everyone'd be driving a hybrid now!!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It's great isn't it? :biggrin: 

There are not many cars you can drive 'enthusiastically' and still get stupidly good mpg at the same time :clap: 

If only they'd figured this out faster - Almost everyone'd be driving a hybrid now!!

THIS^^ I’ve read many of your posts on how frugal yet peppy the Yaris is, it’s been great to experience it for myself 

• Like 2

Puts a smile on your face, doesn't it??

• Like 2

Same here with the motorways driving of which I do a lot.
The lorries are often a trouble as they push a lot and well over their speeds limits. Acceleration especially they are going way to fast for what they are, slowing down in the very last moment, increasing risk of accidents and adding stress to the machine and other road users around.
When they are going downhill often  overtake each other but not the collegiate way and cause havoc and blocking the entire motorway, sometimes even all lanes. M1 J8 - J9, J10-J15 , The whole northern arch of M25, J16- J30, pretty much everywhere they can. Speed limits particularly the temporary ones does not apply to them. 
These drivers of today has the poorest standards of all time, this includes bus and van drivers and particularly the highway maintenance team. Then comes the bmw , Audi and all other drivers. 
For the fastest Toyota’s out there definitely starts with Aygo all versions, then Yaris and Yaris cross. These are flying past me like a low altitude jet fighters 🚀🚀 The idea of safe and efficient drive is as driver or passenger not to feel acceleration or slowing down and two of these to be smooth and linear as possible, and Toyota hybrids are one of the best cars to teach yourself to drive this way, but the rest of the drivers aren’t happy. And I am not talking about been slow and irritating, just normal driving, something that almost does not exist these days. 

• Like 2

I think it's tempting to be pleased with certain peak mpg figures and depressed at other, lower ones. Often, they're a reflection of whether you're travelling downhill or up. I live 750ft above sea level, one of the highest points within the M25. A round trip of 8.5 miles to a big supermarket generally results in (summer) mpg of 120-150mpg out, 50-60mpg back. Average is usually 90mpg or so, but with a huge variation depending on whether gravity's the car's ally or enemy.

Likewise, a trip down to the south coast can give 90mpg there, 70 back. An average of 80 or so, but quite a difference. Former's a net downhill, latter the opposite.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's why I tend to look at the tank average - It evens everything out and gives a more representative picture.

• Like 1

My Auris does better than when was new, perhaps when the engines start burning oil increases its efficiency 😂 Look at this pic, some sensible motorway drive and some London. After that has come down a bit to more normal 62mpg and it will remain like that around 60’s for the rest of the season, year by year. The car will have its earned break now. 🎖

303B0CF3-56EB-4A3F-895F-6C1806D14800.jpeg

• Like 1

Drove to my South Coast Destination & Return in Lane 3 ,c.80mph, where possible.

Took nearly 5 hrs travelling South & achieved 62 mpg.

Return was sub 4hrs & achieved 58 mpg.

Excellent considering I ignored its Eco Potential.

Devon Roads Potholes were scarce yet ,frustratingly, my Red cars magnetism never wanes despite my attempts to hide my car in Public Car Parks.

Tel

• Like 2

On 5/20/2023 at 11:38 AM, TonyHSD said:

Same here with the motorways driving of which I do a lot.
The lorries are often a trouble as they push a lot and well over their speeds limits. Acceleration especially they are going way to fast for what they are, slowing down in the very last moment, increasing risk of accidents and adding stress to the machine and other road users around.
When they are going downhill often  overtake each other but not the collegiate way and cause havoc and blocking the entire motorway, sometimes even all lanes. M1 J8 - J9, J10-J15 , The whole northern arch of M25, J16- J30, pretty much everywhere they can. Speed limits particularly the temporary ones does not apply to them. 
These drivers of today has the poorest standards of all time, this includes bus and van drivers and particularly the highway maintenance team. Then comes the bmw , Audi and all other drivers. 
For the fastest Toyota’s out there definitely starts with Aygo all versions, then Yaris and Yaris cross. These are flying past me like a low altitude jet fighters 🚀🚀 The idea of safe and efficient drive is as driver or passenger not to feel acceleration or slowing down and two of these to be smooth and linear as possible, and Toyota hybrids are one of the best cars to teach yourself to drive this way, but the rest of the drivers aren’t happy. And I am not talking about been slow and irritating, just normal driving, something that almost does not exist these days. 

Tony you may think they are speeding past you , maybe some are but your speedo in you car is over reading .

1 hour ago, tfc said:

Tony you may think they are speeding past you , maybe some are but your speedo in you car is over reading .

True, but it’s not only my car speedo that is over reading and all cars does that . Perhaps I am from the very few watching the Speedo instead of the sat nav, smartphone, or any other device that people has attached to the cars these days  👍

• Like 1

Hgv tacho's must be  calibrated by law every 2 years and this has to be recorded if there is a inspection so you may of noticed if your in a 50 mph speed limit dual carriageway or motorway they will come past you . 

Also hgv are governed to 56mph max (eu law) even though the speed limit in the uk for hgv's is 60mph on motorways  sounds crazy but that's our transport ministers for you.

If you know the road, or your Satnav gives you distance to a roundabout I think using your brakes is an admission of defeat. 

There is one route I use, cars overtake and then brake for the roundabout.  I look ahead, just ease off, and frequently carry on without stopping or braking. 

I remember many years ago Stirling Moss achieved some incredible consumption, even bettering Toyota Hybrid figures.  Apart from anticipation, he drove in socks not shoes. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links