Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

96 mpg

Max_Headroom

moderate, weak braking = faster charging of the traction Battery

I ride barefoot in the summer 😁

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Roy124 said:

If you know the road, or your Satnav gives you distance to a roundabout I think using your brakes is an admission of defeat. 

There is one route I use, cars overtake and then brake for the roundabout.  I look ahead, just ease off, and frequently carry on without stopping or braking. 

I remember many years ago Stirling Moss achieved some incredible consumption, even bettering Toyota Hybrid figures.  Apart from anticipation, he drove in socks not shoes. 

Oh don’t mention that.  When I said I prefer carpets because I sometimes drive with no shoes, a woke snowflake insisted it’s against the law.  

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

I’ve just had another loan Yaris hybrid - this time Design spec with protection pack. The binnacle display is much better than the dials, and despite mixed driving - inc an 80mile round trip into the Peak District (lots of hills) I still managed 79.2mpg on average. The fuel economy of these is OUTSTANDING. they are also so much fun to chuck about, the throttle mapping is much better than my 2.0 Corolla, it’s drops into ev mode more frequently, the auto hold is better. What a fantastic job Toyota has done with the TNGA Yaris! 😀

• Like 6

I can also achieve that sort of milage on a odd trip.

IMG_0677.thumb.PNG.8f16f90c0c9d3367fa40ef75c9a7641d.PNG But average for the Month is 75.3MPG best day 28/June 98.4MPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gray86 said:

I’ve just had another loan Yaris hybrid - this time Design spec with protection pack. The binnacle display is much better than the dials, and despite mixed driving - inc an 80mile round trip into the Peak District (lots of hills) I still managed 79.2mpg on average. The fuel economy of these is OUTSTANDING. they are also so much fun to chuck about, the throttle mapping is much better than my 2.0 Corolla, it’s drops into ev mode more frequently, the auto hold is better. What a fantastic job Toyota has done with the TNGA Yaris! 😀

In Toyota/Lexus  hybrids I noticed the smaller the engine the more ev drive you will get. The bigger ones like Camry or rav4 are even worse than the Corolla, and Corolla 1.8 is actually way better than the 2.0:in this terms about switching to ev, they are similar to Prius. The larger engine hybrids are more higher speed motorway cruisers. These are my observations. 👌 Yaris and Yaris X definitely a fuel sippers 👍

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

In Toyota/Lexus  hybrids I noticed the smaller the engine the more ev drive you will get. The bigger ones like Camry or rav4 are even worse than the Corolla, and Corolla 1.8 is actually way better than the 2.0:in this terms about switching to ev, they are similar to Prius. The larger engine hybrids are more higher speed motorway cruisers. These are my observations. 👌 Yaris and Yaris X definitely a fuel sippers 👍

Interesting, you would have thought it’s the other way round! The Yaris is so much fun to drive too, may treat the wife to a new(er) one in a year or two 

• Like 3

I filled up a couple of weeks ago and reset the trip, it then showed 199mpg….it steadily dropped to 64/5 which is what I’m getting now, I wonder if this will improve as the engine loosens up…or does it not make any difference on a hybrid as it does a petrol engine.?

• Like 1

Alan

I am 68/69 going off the onboard display I only reset it once a year after a service plus I be on smaller slightly wheels as I dont have the Yaris cross.

You can expect yours to drop slightly as we go into winter they all do but move up even more next year as things work in.

Use to be called Running In please pass.

• Like 2

MPG depends on a lot of variables, one of the main ones is how it’s driven, another is temperatures, the colder temperatures are not helpful for good mpg and will reduce the mpg, hilly terrain is another, on a long run on various types of roads I recently achieved 73.5mpg, without trying to be frugal and a slightly heavy foot. I’m confident I could achieve a better mpg sticking strictly to the speed limit.

• Like 5

I find living on top of a hill what you loose climing up you regain on the decent. Its very short trips thats the killer for a high mpg.

• Like 4

Averaged 74.7mpg on the app this month, however have found that this figure is around 10% over reading, so more like 67mpg. The mileage covered is 1300 miles this month with around 50% motorway driving between 70 and 80mph. The motorway trips tend to be low 60mpg so around 55mpg in the real world. 

Economy has always improved with more mileage, just had first service at 10,000 miles.

Best economy is achieved by driving normally, at the speed limit, keeping plenty of charge in the Battery. When the Battery is full it wants to keep in EV longer. Sometimes I will drive a bit harder on the flat / downhill to engage the engine with plenty of momentum for any hills which helps with economy. Also lots of anticipation for bends, T Junctions, traffic lights etc. Only light braking into bends to make the most of the regen braking 🫣

IMG_1302.jpeg

• Like 3

Where do I find the average consumption on the app..?

46 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

Where do I find the average consumption on the app..?

Click on “Hybrid Coaching”, then “Overview” selecting weekly, monthly or yearly then pan to the bottom graph and scroll through the different graphs - average speed, EV time, mpg etc.

IMG_1317.jpeg

IMG_1318.jpeg

• Like 3

👍

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Alan, mines the same as yours, but without the city pack.  I'm averaging 65 mpg this summer (the whole summer) on general driving around in a fairly hilly area. So about the same as you.  Mines 8 months old and has done 7000 miles. If I drive to Yorkshire which I do for family reasons fairly frequently, which is a couple hundred miles of motorway, I get between 58mpg and 63mpg depending upon which way the wind happens to be blowing, cruising at 65mph (true speed).  I'm very happy with this.  Like the majority of posters, the big big mpg some are quoting are achievable over short favourable trips, but are not I think realistic overall averages 😉

• Like 2

You can - My Mk4's been averaging high-70's/low 80's for the last few tanks - but it does require favourable conditions to get the higher mpgs.

My driving style and route are very favourable to high mpgs, and the 15" rims and higher tyre pressures help a bit too... :whistling1:

Hills are the enemy of high mpg, but 65mpg is very good for a hilly environment so you're doing very well! The Mk3 hybrid would struggle to get past the 50's on hills, anecdotally at least.

I suspect the YC is less efficient at speed than the normal Yaris because it has a bigger frontal area (And more air resistance); If you keep the speed below 60 you can probably get them up, but sustained 70mph will definitely be more punishing for the YC.

• Like 1

I do think that driving style has a lot to do with it. I had a loan Yaris and managed to get 79mpg out of it during our time together. My Good Lady has a Yaris, and although I am allowed to drive it, I tend not to. She has a heavier right foot than me, but still averages 69 to 70 mpg, with a combination of motorway and town driving. I would like to drive it for a couple of weeks and to see what I can get out of it, but I don't think I'll be allowed 😀 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've noticed this summer that my YC doesn't always start the engine from cold first thing in the morning, and so I can get 50 - 55 mpg going to my local village 2 hilly miles away, whereas in previous Toyota hybrids ive usually got between 40 and 45 in the summer on the same short trip.  So yes I think they've made some great strides in how the hybrid system is configured / set up.  

Cyker, sorry, yes i'm sure the latest normal Yaris hybrid must be slightly more economical than the YC, less weight and better drag coefficient will see to that.  I'm gonna try a long motorway jaunt at 60mph (true) as suggested and see what happens to the economy now the car is well run in.  😁 

• Like 3

I have monitored my YC Excel over 3 tank fills. The first two between 66-68 mpg (on 95 octane Esso). The third was a tankful of Tesco Momentum which returned 72 mpg. I don't believe the fuel made the difference (despite the higher octane producing more power) but the conditions - roadworks and tourists slowing things down and off for a week needing less hills to climb.

• Like 2

E5 Tesco will always deliver 3-5mpg more than any other E10 95., octane numbers doe’s matter, but the ethanol it does. 
I am using around 100ltr per week on average when at work and Tesco momentum  from my local supermarket is my preferred petrol.
The car loves it too. Best performance and mpg, lowest engine noise and vibration. Fuel is very important, but many people won’t realise that until they filled up with rubbish petrol and feel the huge difference. And no two garages sell the same fuel, each one is unique and once you find these with a good petrol best practice is to stick to them. This only from personal experience. On paper or by the law and regulations might be different but in the real world things aren’t always as per the book. 👌

• Like 1

Agreed, only used E10 in the weeks we've had the Yaris; but my MX5 appreciates E5. Better performance - on E5 I can stay in 6th and acellerate from 25 mph but on E10, it's normally necessary to drop a cog. On a run I can get 48 MPG average on a tank, on E10 it's 42. 

• Like 2

But surely E5 petrol will vary from Station to Station?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, glencrannog said:

But surely E5 petrol will vary from Station to Station?

It will. Not only E5 but all types of fuel. 
I can’t explain exactly why, but from practice I noticed long time ago that even of you use same brand Shell , bp, Tesco, esso, , same area  just different petrol stations let say one on the northbound and the other on the southbound of the motorway, these two may have slightly different petrol and your car engine may perform differently. For some people there is no difference, they simply can’t notice it, but for other drivers and those who has their cars for long and know them well the difference will become apparent shortly after they drive off. 
I have my preferred Tesco garage near me and I stick with them. The fuel seems good, price ok and the engine is quietest , efficiency 60mpg currently. 
I have tried esso, Shell, bp and non of theirs E5 premium is anything better than my favourite Tesco. Other members reported exactly opposite, Tesco premium where they live was not as good as esso for example. 
Just experiment and when you find which place and fuel is best stick with it. This is what I do. 
Same fuel, same oil, same filters , same tyres, same car now over 200000 only mine miles traveled within 8 years. Here when I bought my car and now. 
image.thumb.jpeg.03bef948a70ad01db9a479ea86629b6d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.73b58b6d08b1ba0a050ac7b1529ffb35.jpeg

This is what I called. “ Toyota - hybrid excellence “ 👍

• Like 1

I believe ethanol is added at the petrol station. Also cheaper brands won't have additives that dearer mixes have, so will differ from station to station.  

If you have an old petrol mower or similar, don't run it on E10.  You can remove ethanol at home to get 4*,  easy-ish but not recommended. 

• Like 2

Just be cautious doing that; You may need to mix in sort of additive if you do that or you'll risk a lot of knock - The Ethanol replaces the anti-knock/octane booster chemicals they used to mix in most forecourt fuels.

That's one of the sad missed opportunities with E10 - They could have made it 105RON or something, so cars designed to run on E10 could run higher compression ratios, and offset the lower energy content of ethanol.

4 hours ago, jthspace said:

Agreed, only used E10 in the weeks we've had the Yaris; but my MX5 appreciates E5. Better performance - on E5 I can stay in 6th and acellerate from 25 mph but on E10, it's normally necessary to drop a cog. On a run I can get 48 MPG average on a tank, on E10 it's 42. 

I'm very impressed you can get that close to 50mpg in an MX5!! :eek: 

Most people I know with them are glad to even get into the 40's! :laugh: 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links