Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Any ideas how this Universal Basic Income will affect cars🙂

Mike 2121

43 minutes ago, Bper said:

Has the point of attaining a degree become academic to the job market today. It's amazing how many young people we have spoken to who have gone to university and taken degree's that have no relevance to the career they thought they wanted to do.

I see this as a failure in schools. The correct careers advice before they took A levels or today's equivalents, should have avoided a lot of this scenario.

This was also rife in the 70's. I worked with two people who had degrees in Russian - at the time of little value in an office environment in Birmingham - although there was Red Robbo at British Leyland, Longbridge ......

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

I see this as a failure in schools. The correct careers advice before they took A levels or today's equivalents, should have avoided a lot of this scenario.

This was also rife in the 70's. I worked with two people who had degrees in Russian - at the time of little value in an office environment in Birmingham - although there was Red Robbo at British Leyland, Longbridge ......

I remember a time when someone that had A levels was being offered top jobs. Anyone if we knew them that went to university was deemed destined for great things. ☺️

• Like 2

It had changed a lot by my time - Before I went, university was free. In fact, they actually *paid* you to go effectively, as there was a grant, which you didn't have to pay back, as well as a student loan.

In my time, if you had good grades you were just pushed up and up through the educational system; In hindsight, I should have done an NVQ or apprenticeship or something like that, but this was heavily discouraged as being for 'the thick kids', and we were pushed to do A-Levels or GNVQs and go through college and then university, and you just went along with it because that's what you were told and you didn't know any better.

I think that was one of the biggest mistakes that was made with higher/further education, as it changed how university degrees are viewed and watered them down significantly. The increase also triggered the change in funding that we have now, where instead of getting money to go, you have to pay increasing amounts, with the student grant being removed right as I started, and the student loan, instead of being to support your living costs as it was originally, is apparently now just to cover the 'tuition fees' that are now charged.

There are still many job fields where you need a degree to get into it - Medical and Education for instance, but there are a loads of degrees that basically won't help you get a job unless you're being sent on it by a company (Which implies you already have a job lined up with them!), and feel like they're just there to get funding from students who don't know any better.

The university you go to also makes a big difference to how much value the degree has - It did before, but now even more so.

• Like 1

University entry qualifications have really been dumbed down over the last twenty or so years, with the result that any Tom ***** or Harry can get into university doing obscure meaningless degrees that are of no use to man or beast.

They are effectively wasting their time instead of working and usually end up on the dole anyway 😕

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links