Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mk 1 Yaris red light.

Rhymes with Paris

The small red light next to the handbrake.

Had a Google, and all I find is reference to red lights on the dashboard.

Can't find anything in the handbook either.

Never seen it on,so was thinking possible something to do with security or alarm,so maybe it blinks when the car is locked up and can't be seen from outside.

Anyone know what it is please?

• Like 1

Will do, thanks.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, paul9 said:

Looks aftermarket to me.

Thanks Paul, but I have known the car from new (bought from my neighbour over the road) and am certain it is all as original.

• Like 3

PM me the reg number, I will check if it had some kinda aftermarket alarm/immobiliser fitted. Sometimes when product is not available, something aftermarket gets fitted at the PDI centre (not now-but back in the day) 

• Like 2

Looks like an alarm LED to me, as there is not one in a Yaris, it looks like an after market ad on, when you lock the car does it flash, the wife often complains to me that there is no LED indication in the car to say that the alarm is armed.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, wildtapholer said:

Looks like an alarm LED to me, as there is not one in a Yaris, it looks like an after market ad on, when you lock the car does it flash, the wife often complains to me that there is no LED indication in the car to say that the alarm is armed.

I am sure that there is an alarm wildtadpoler, I heard it go off a week or two ago when I was giving a lift to a friend who was fiddling with the door locks (not intentionally).

I think that there is an immobiliser and alarm as standard on the Tsport, but not sure.

Photo of the security led on the dash.

IMG_20230628_161559_HDR.thumb.jpg.a18a85f943a2629e9188d91da50246cb.jpg

• Like 3

Nothing listed on the official accessory list, look like an aftermarket LED for an alarm to me

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Paul,

I think according to the post below is for an alarm this is from an old post.👍

NormalAppImage(10).thumb.png.f442027f75704af4ba69f128407e959a.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well found Bob.

I read the post though as some have it and others not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Further info found, PM sent Paul 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pretty sure this is the alarm led for a yaris t sport which does come with an alarm

• Like 3

iirc it will be a cobra plip alarm (works with the factory key fob)

• Like 3

I have the same in mine. Btw the alarm is LOUD! Left the windows open and locked the car, v strong gust of wind caused  a sheet to move in the car...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, corradovr6 said:

I have the same in mine. Btw the alarm is LOUD! Left the windows open and locked the car, v strong gust of wind caused  a sheet to move in the car...

Damn right it's loud, I heard it for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

Being as I am in a county full of RAF stations, people were looking up at the sky for bombers coming in from the east.

So if wind moved a sheet and set it off,has it got radar sensors somewhere? Aswell as perimeter.

My old 2001 Lexus had radar sensors, and once when I left a nervous passenger in the car in a rough part of town, and locked the doors,as soon as she moved it set it off.

• Like 3

A further thought on the alarm Hasan, when mine went off, I repeatedly waited a minute or two, then re-locked it

It still went off for a few times until I unlocked it and restarted the engine , and then off ,which seemed to reset it.

Did you have the same when yours went off?

• Like 3

Yes they all have an alarm but they don't have any indication for you to know they're active, you never said if the LED starts to flash when locked.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, wildtapholer said:

Yes they all have an alarm but they don't have any indication for you to know they're active, you never said if the LED starts to flash when locked.

That's true, will try sitting in the car tomorrow and lock the car with the remote, and see what the light does.

• Like 1

Right, pinned down which led flashes when.

The security led on the dash flashes as soon as the key is out of the ignition, unlocked doors.

The one near the handbrake flashes key out of the ignition, and doors locked with the remote key.

ie they then flash together.

Did this sat sitting in the car and fortunately the alarm did not go off, so assuming no radar sensors like in the Lexus.

Spoke with the neighbour who had it from new this morning, and he is sure that he didn't order or pay for any additional alarm system on order, and that is all as he received it new.

Although he can't ever remember seeing the led near the handbrake, and was surprised that I had found it.

Thanks again for all the help on what it could be.

• Like 4

On 6/28/2023 at 7:58 PM, Rhymes with Paris said:

A further thought on the alarm Hasan, when mine went off, I repeatedly waited a minute or two, then re-locked it

It still went off for a few times until I unlocked it and restarted the engine , and then off ,which seemed to reset it.

Did you have the same when yours went off?

Hi Paul, i unlocked the car opened and closed the door and then locked it again. Hasn't been set off since.

I’ve got the same in my 04 TSIMG_0754.thumb.jpeg.3bed4779eba1a74741d81eb376aeb948.jpeg

Edited by Raeman
Additional text
  • Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links