Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is it eCVT or CVT

Roker

18 hours ago, Cyker said:

For me it's not just the 0-60 but the immediacy of it - You don't need to wait for clutches to sync up or torque converters to catch up; You just press the pedal and it *GOs*:biggrin: 

So good! :biggrin: 

Couldn’t agree more after having just rented a VW Tiguan with a DSG gearbox and the start-stop cough. So good to get back in my own car at the end of the holiday.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

Hmm... I wonder if they could fit the 2.0L in a Yaris... :g: :naughty: 

Many years ago I saw a video of an Austin Mini that someone had managed to put a 2.5l engine in. I was amazed it still had all four wheels on the ground when stationary. It certainly didn't when they pressed the accelerator 😁

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, mcntosh said:

Couldn’t agree more after having just rented a VW Tiguan with a DSG gearbox and the start-stop cough. So good to get back in my own car at the end of the holiday.

I have to agree and i own a VW Golf with DSG although it does have 300bhp so moving off is never slow...the trick with DSG is always switch off the stop/start as this can really make a difference and make it less jerky at low speeds.

However the Toyota eCVT is a far smoother box and nicer to drive around town.

The only benefit of mine is that the paddles on the steering wheel actually change gear.😄...why oh why did Toyota fit these to the 2.0 litre and what purpose do they serve.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The only benefit of the paddles is, when going downhill, dropping a gear or two increases the regenerative braking. Because there are no belts or cones in the eCVT, I was informed that the paddles are a bit of a con. Another welcome feature of the Corolla hybrid is the normally-aspirated engine, so there is no turbo lag. I do have one query about the eCVT which mystifies me: the power supplied by the engine is transferred by the planetary gear train: as the car accelerates, is the engine simply geared down by the gear train so that in effect it just increases its revs without any gear changes required? I wish there was a rev counter so I could see what's going on!

• Like 1

Got em on mine and they are of little use in normal driving but in sport mode when you want to push it they are still useless 🤣🤣🤣😂😎

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Pannett said:

I wish there was a rev counter so I could see what's going on!

My facelift has a rev counter on the dash if you choose, I only used it once as the eco/power gauge is more useful to me and you don’t have control over the revs.  

it’s the same with the hybrid display and Battery charge level, I don’t have them on the dash anymore.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mcntosh said:

Yes, I’ve heard people having to pay £2k for new clutches in DSG gearboxes as they’re a wear item too. There’s nothing to wear out on the Toyota hybrids. 

I’ve had various VW rental cars and slow speed driving where you want to accelerate into a gap is frustrating with the delays as the gearbox thinks you want to go up a gear when you want a lower one so are left with no drive for a second or two. They work ok in regular acceleration from rest, but nipping in fools them. 

• Like 2

2 grand would be cheap! My brother was quoted over £6000 for his Audi A3's DSG to be repaired! :eek: 

He did get done though as I told him to be suspicious if the car was hot when he test drove it and he didn't - Turned out when cold, the DSG system just wouldn't go into gear and had a reputation for being incredibly unreliable from the off as it was one of the earlier dry-clutch systems - The later wet-clutch systems had better longevity but still expensive when they wore out.

1 hour ago, Pannett said:

The only benefit of the paddles is, when going downhill, dropping a gear or two increases the regenerative braking. Because there are no belts or cones in the eCVT, I was informed that the paddles are a bit of a con. Another welcome feature of the Corolla hybrid is the normally-aspirated engine, so there is no turbo lag. I do have one query about the eCVT which mystifies me: the power supplied by the engine is transferred by the planetary gear train: as the car accelerates, is the engine simply geared down by the gear train so that in effect it just increases its revs without any gear changes required? I wish there was a rev counter so I could see what's going on!

It's a very weird system, but this is a simplified explanation - If you're not giving it the beans, the engine will just spin at whatever speed is the most efficient (In my Yaris it's around 2000rpm for its maximum 41% efficiency), and one of the electric motors, MG1, will spin in the opposite direction at just the right speed so that the engine drives the wheels at the current speed.

As the car goes faster, MG1 will start to slow down and eventually even spin the opposite way as the car starts moving faster than the engine is spinning - It's quite ingenious and is, as far as I know, the only multi-ratio transmission that doesn't rely on some sort of slipping surface to work.

This is also why it's so efficient - A lot of people think the hybrids get their electricity from the brake regen, but the energy you get from that is actually tiny.

Where most of the electricity comes from is, with e.g. the engine spinning at 2000rpm at 20mph, the engine is spinning far more than it needs to to go at 20mph, and in a normal car that would be wasted energy, but in the hybrids, MG1 soaks up all that 'wasted' energy and stuffs it into the Battery for later.

ICEs produce large amounts of power at each power stroke, and a lot of it is wasted, so even being able to capture a fraction of that will boost efficiency greatly, and this is why the hybrid system can get such gains with only a tiny Battery.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pannett said:

There is a rev counter!

• Like 1

It may depend on what dashboard the car has - The Corolla has had a bunch of different dashes and between different grades too and I don't think all of them do. I know none of the pre-2024 Yarisuseseisieues do normally; The only reason I can see the RPM in mine is they forgot to remove it from the HUD display :laugh: 

I had an 18 plate Passat from new with the supposed problematic DQ200 DSG box, never missed a beat for the 4.5 years I had it. Lovely and smooth, gear changes were unnoticeable, loved it but the concerns about reliability were the main reason for me moving to Toyota.

• Like 1

And it’s not just the vag cars that has problems with dsg transmission but all others too. Any transmission with clutch will have this part as consumable similar to brake parts therefore soon or late these clutch packs will need a replacement at a great cost, often more expensive than the car itself when they gets old. This put me off buying a Hyundai ioniq hybrid. 

Toyota hybrids are the best cars with less consumables to think of replacement.  And of course they drives the best.
Only not good for sport continues high sowed high load motorway racing., and this is the reasons why they aren’t favourite to many auto journalists or inpatient drivers. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, fred88 said:

I had an 18 plate Passat from new with the supposed problematic DQ200 DSG box, never missed a beat for the 4.5 years I had it. Lovely and smooth, gear changes were unnoticeable, loved it but the concerns about reliability were the main reason for me moving to Toyota.

And how many miles were covered in that time... 100,000...200,000.... Probably not. And that's the difference. 200,000 plus is not unusual.. It would be more unusual to have had a problem in that time. 

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

And it’s not just the vag cars that has problems with dsg transmission but all others too. Any transmission with clutch will have this part as consumable similar to brake parts therefore soon or late these clutch packs will need a replacement at a great cost, often more expensive than the car itself when they gets old. This put me off buying a Hyundai ioniq hybrid. 

Toyota hybrids are the best cars with less consumables to think of replacement.  And of course they drives the best.
Only not good for sport continues high sowed high load motorway racing., and this is the reasons why they aren’t favourite to many auto journalists or inpatient drivers. 

We have a lot of new Renault akana hybrid cars and new kia niro hybrids on our circuit... 50% have had gearbox issues.. We have 1 kia niro with 60,000 miles on it and it's in for its 3rd replacement gearbox(new 7 speed) not a good advertisement... And the Renaults gearbox just doesn't know what it's doing and throws in the towel within the first 10,000 miles. 

On 5/4/2024 at 4:19 PM, MC1216 said:

The only benefit of mine is that the paddles on the steering wheel actually change gear.😄...why oh why did Toyota fit these to the 2.0 litre and what purpose do they serve.

The fella from Cinch who delivered my car said the paddles are useful for when you take your car on track days... I had to laugh. Who buys a hybrid estate to take on track days?! 

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, yossarian247 said:

The fella from Cinch who delivered my car said the paddles are useful for when you take your car on track days... I had to laugh. Who buys a hybrid estate to take on track days?! 

Lol.

i have driven my Prius round Brands Hatch a couple of times as a perk for being a Champ Car investor. 
really Pees the guys behind me once they catch up, due to the no overtake rule…

i normally start at the back of the pack…

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Paul john said:

Lol.

i have driven my Prius round Brands Hatch a couple of times as a perk for being a Champ Car investor. 
really Pees the guys behind me once they catch up, due to the no overtake rule…

i normally start at the back of the pack…

• Haha 3

On 5/4/2024 at 8:22 PM, Cyker said:

It may depend on what dashboard the car has - The Corolla has had a bunch of different dashes and between different grades too and I don't think all of them do. I know none of the pre-2024 Yarisuseseisieues do normally; The only reason I can see the RPM in mine is they forgot to remove it from the HUD display :laugh: 

Cyker my GR certainly does😀

• Like 1

6 hours ago, davidif said:

Cyker my GR certainly does😀

Ooh really? Interesting... that must have a different dash to the others I guess? :confused1:

I'm only aware of the analogue dash on the Icon and the 'binocular-style' full digital dash for all the other grades on the original cars...

• Like 1

Using the full handbook's guidance, I changed the LH display to a rev counter. It is fascinating to glance at it as I drive. At 40 - 50 mph on the flat the revs are around 1500 rpm or nil when on e power. Even accelerating achieves a maximum of around 3500 rpm (that is without flooring the accelerator). Today I drove around 18 miles and kept the maximum speed down to 50mph and achieved 59mpg and about 60% on e power. The engine management system is brilliant! I'd never go back to diesel (mileage too low), PHEV (my experience with the Skoda Octavia's software issues have put me off for life), pure petrol (not economical enough), manual  gearbox ( a pain in heavy traffic) or DSG. Although the 6-speed and 7-speed VAG DSG's were smooth, the longer term reliability issues with either clutch or mechatronic faults have put me off. The eCVT seems the perfect transmission system for ease of driving particularly in a hilly area like N Yorkshire and most importantly its robustness.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Cyker said:

Ooh really? Interesting... that must have a different dash to the others I guess? :confused1:

I'm only aware of the analogue dash on the Icon and the 'binocular-style' full digital dash for all the other grades on the original cars...

I believe that the GR has a 'take' on the simpler Icon dash albeit with a rev counter where the economy/charge meter would otherwise be.

• Like 1

Gr and excel I believe 

PXL_20240501_070954874.jpg

• Like 1

Am I missing something here? On my 2019 Excel the LH side of the display is the rev counter, was that removed on later cars?

• Like 3

Sorry us Yaris folk are invading and polluting your thread again, don't mind us :whistling1: :laugh: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dylanfan said:

Am I missing something here? On my 2019 Excel the LH side of the display is the rev counter, was that removed on later cars?

No. The 2023 onwards cars have a digital dash that can be configured to show a rev counter.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links