Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Hybrid - Internal Lights - LED Bulbs

jthspace

After a struggle, I managed to get the whole light unit out, it needed a really good "tug" once I had used a plastic trim removal tool to get a bit of a gap to allow my fingertips to get under the edge.\

One of the pink clips stayed in the mounting hole, but the trim removal tool got it out easily.

Here you can see the rear of the unit and the two black holders for the W5W bulbs.

IMG_6427.thumb.JPG.9fc889482e85a805a9125cdad3ba4bad.JPG

The bulbs simply twist 90 degrees and come out.  Here are the replacement LED bulbs bought from Amazon - 10 bulbs for £10.

IMG_6428.thumb.JPG.3ea00943194491a613e52919b61a2329.JPG

Finally, the bulbs fitted, unit reclipped to the roof and the lights on.  BEFORE REFITTING - plug the power lead back in and test the lights as the bulbs are polarity sensitive.  If one doesn't light, reverse the bulb in the holder.

IMG_6429.thumb.JPG.db0cb31744e695e46c82137a23818d57.JPG

One change - the lights do not fade out but switch off after approx. 20 seconds.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

I've changed these lights also but I removed the black plastic.

I don't know what is scarier, the one you removed or the one I did? It sounded like it was breaking in a million expensive pieces.

• Haha 1

I’m always interested in these LED issues/upgrades.  Problem is, I’m quite ham fisted and have a nasty habit of breaking plastic clips, lenses and covers.  Even with the proper bespoke plastic levers, something always breaks.   

I use carefully applied brute force. I didn't use any tools to remove mine and it came away without any problems.

They key is to know where the clips are, so you are applying the force as close to those as possible. If you pull it in the wrong places, you put high side loads on the clips, and you're more likely to break something.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jimota said:

I’m always interested in these LED issues/upgrades.  Problem is, I’m quite ham fisted and have a nasty habit of breaking plastic clips, lenses and covers.  Even with the proper bespoke plastic levers, something always breaks.   

I ordered a set of these (white): https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0827R67J3

...and these (red): https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0827QLFDN

I put one of each in the overhead light (white on the passenger side, red on the driver side), and a white one in the boot.

I couldn't initially work out how to change these bulbs, until I came across this one...

It comes with three different connectors, making it compatible with nearly every car.

s246954953.jpg

slfk.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Luna Chang said:

I couldn't initially work out how to change these bulbs, until I came across this one...

It comes with three different connectors, making it compatible with nearly every car.

s246954953.jpg

slfk.jpg

Look interesting

But why would you not put w5w bulbs, making it more easily to change in the future? you really need that much light ?

Thanks for the above details.  It’s something I want to do with the wife’s Mazda 2 hybrid (99.9% Yaris) as the interior lights are terrible.  2 rubbish overhead lights and nothing in the rear.  

On 8/12/2023 at 11:54 AM, jthspace said:

After a struggle, I managed to get the whole light unit out, it needed a really good "tug" once I had used a plastic trim removal tool to get a bit of a gap to allow my fingertips to get under the edge.\

One of the pink clips stayed in the mounting hole, but the trim removal tool got it out easily.

Here you can see the rear of the unit and the two black holders for the W5W bulbs.

IMG_6427.thumb.JPG.9fc889482e85a805a9125cdad3ba4bad.JPG

The bulbs simply twist 90 degrees and come out.  Here are the replacement LED bulbs bought from Amazon - 10 bulbs for £10.

IMG_6428.thumb.JPG.3ea00943194491a613e52919b61a2329.JPG

Finally, the bulbs fitted, unit reclipped to the roof and the lights on.  BEFORE REFITTING - plug the power lead back in and test the lights as the bulbs are polarity sensitive.  If one doesn't light, reverse the bulb in the holder.

IMG_6429.thumb.JPG.db0cb31744e695e46c82137a23818d57.JPG

One change - the lights do not fade out but switch off after approx. 20 seconds.

Thanks.  I assume you can’t just remove the lens covers and swap the bulbs out?   I’ll break something if I have to start removing trim.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Habu said:

Thanks.  I assume you can’t just remove the lens covers and swap the bulbs out?   I’ll break something if I have to start removing trim.

You can but the push button black covers also come off at the same time so make a note of what one is where (take a photo).  Removing the whole unit isn't difficult it's just in there tight.  There is no trim to remove.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 4:07 PM, Mushu84 said:

Look interesting

But why would you not put w5w bulbs, making it more easily to change in the future? you really need that much light ?

I've installed W5W before, but I can't go back since I've used the light board. Perfect brightness....lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Luna Chang said:

I've installed W5W before, but I can't go back since I've used the light board. Perfect brightness....lol

I was asking just as for me it would be more easy to find spares if need in the future 

Again it looks cool 🙂 

• Like 1

They cost a fortune those boards, mine were £4 for 10, w5w satisfied with the brightness. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bought some LED bulbs and changed the boot light.  Took all of 1 minute but the overhead cabin light panel is not budging even with pry tools.  I kept thinking it’s going to snap.  So, this afternoon I priced up the black trim panel just in case I did break it.  Brace yourselves…£265.45 + VAT.  Woah, that’s more than I thought and presumably is because of the SOS function.  Too scared now to have another go. :)

• Like 1

Just to confirm it’s just the black panel that comes away from the roof and not the surrounding hard grey piece as well?

3 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

It's the whole grey piece. 

Thanks.  I was trying to remove the black panel that sits in the surround.  I might try again then.

If you remove just the black piece all of the buttons fall out, I speak from experience 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jthspace said:

If you remove just the black piece all of the buttons fall out, I speak from experience 😂

Good to know.😁. I’ll try levering out the grey surround to the black panel next time.

• Like 1

Use a trim tool (or serving spoon handle?) to gently push the headlining material and once there is a gap I managed to get my fingers on the unit and tugged hard. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Seeing the photos here, i now realize that what i did (removing the whole piece from the car  roof trim) was the correct approach.

But then i didn't see any bulb holders like i was expecting, and i put it back.

I was confused, after seeing a photo in the other topic with only thef front  part cover (with the buttons) removed.

Finally, I THINK mine already has led installed (not bulbs, but led plates) inside... what do you think?

IMG_20230606_164816.jpg

Could be, what colour are your lights when they are on? Bright white / Blue white / Soft dim white?

Certainly looks like a led circuit board type of fitting through the holes where bulbs usually fit.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links