Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

auris 1.2 2016 cat converter

g wals

toyota say theres no issue with this car /low risk,is this correct...

"On behalf of  Toyota , my name is Amy and I would like to thank you for your service enquiry regarding your vehicle.

Thank you for your recent purchase of your Toyota Auris. Unfortunately, along with many other manufacturers, cat thefts are something we are experiencing, however the only cat locks Toyota list are ones for hybrid vehicles. With your vehicle being a 1.2 petrol, Toyota do not class this as a high risk as the cats are much harder to get to than the hybrid vehicles, therefor not deemed as neccesary

If there is anything else I can assist with please don't hesitate to contact me!

Thank you for your enquiry"

are there 2 cats on the car,front and middle thx

Hi, 

your car has a catalytic converter located higher up in the engine bay and almost impossible to cut and take from under the car.
Your car it’s not affected indeed.
The only targets are 1.8 hybrids and 1.6 petrol which has similar designed of engine and exhaust system.  Cars fitted with 1.33, 1.4 D and 1.2t petrol are safe bet. How much save, we’ll never 100% really as there are thick thieves that can get under any Toyota and cut anything that is indef the car and look like a cat or exhaust pipe, but this is rare occurrence and you are 99% safe to say. 👍

• Like 2

thx for the reply ,i thought the middle part of the exhaust was also a cat converter the large box in the middle of the exhaust

9 minutes ago, g wals said:

thx for the reply ,i thought the middle part of the exhaust was also a cat converter the large box in the middle of the exhaust

If you use the link you can browse all your car parts location and part numbers for maintenance or repair. Click on exhaust and you will see there is no cat there , it’s just a middle silencer and then go to manifold section and you can see your turbo and cat fitting together behind the engine. https://japancars.ru/index.php?route=catalog/toyota&area=EU&cat=166520&mdf_id=7142

• Like 2

apreciate the help in my worries.i was told the 17410 in that diagram was a cat converter ,thats why i was worrying .i know bsrely nothing about engines/ .exhaust systems thanks for responding .

Looking at my 1.2T Auris it is low to the ground and as already been mentioned the positioning of the cat makes it fairly safe from theft.

Often wondered not being a thief do they go around with a trolley jack of something else when they steal these cats as not much room to get under many of the cars without one.🤔

• Like 1

Yes, trolley jack, reciprocating saw and impact driver Battery powered. The whole process takes around 2 min max. They act like f1 pit stop mechanics, often wears a high vis vest and jackets, face mask or hoodie. I had already twice police car pulling next to me while I have been working on my  car at my driveway, it is so popular car parts theft these days. 

• Like 2

Yeah, they're horrifically quick - There're some videoed cases where they've just stopped in the road during a red light and had it off the target vehicle before the light turned green! :eek: 

• Like 2

Is it wishful thinking that in a modern world of technology that the precious metals in cats can't be replaced with alternatives.

Surely synthesized material can work. 😀

13 hours ago, Bper said:

Is it wishful thinking that in a modern world of technology that the precious metals in cats can't be replaced with alternatives.

Surely synthesized material can work. 😀

Surely, It cannot be replaced and highly recyclable unlike Li Battery. It is quantum mechanics effects of the electron configurations of precious metals Pt, Rh,and Pd that  just extremely good doing redox.  Alloying and how the active open sites is nearly perfected decades ago. We minimize the use by optimizing the shape of the ceramics and exhaust. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AisinW said:

Surely, It cannot be replaced and highly recyclable unlike Li battery. It is quantum mechanics effects of the electron configurations of precious metals Pt, Rh,and Pd that  just extremely good doing redox.  Alloying and how the active open sites is nearly perfected decades ago. We minimize the use by optimizing the shape of the ceramics and exhaust. 

Hi John,

Thank you for the science lesson I think I missed that class the day when this was explained, I was on my way to a geography lesson at the time but couldn't find the classroom.😂

A few studies have and are being done to find alternatives to these metals so it is possible that one or more of these may replace the precious metals in the future.

Copper powder was chosen as the alternative catalyst to reduce the use of precious group metals (PGMs) platinum, palladium, and rhodium.

Also this looks promising.

Now a first-of-its-kind invention created at the University of Minnesota could save motorists from a costly headache in the future. Over the last six months, a group of researchers has developed what they call "chameleon metal", which can achieve the same results catalytic converters get in cars

The thefts of cats is a nightmare for motorists so if these metals can be replaced then it must be a good thing. 👍

No problem, it is just part of my work. we had improved a lot of things in minimizing precious metals usages. But the car application is already on the  edge tech. The packaging and size limitation on catalytic converter needs Pt ,Rh, Pd.  Other cheaper catalysts will need much bigger size and also not as reliable in long terms (200k miles/10y benchmarks). But in othe applications, science had done it. WE shrink % Pt electrode for fuel cells by alloying with Ni and prevent the deactivation of the catalyst.  

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links