Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wrongly connected starting booster. Electric fault on dash

Ofaneka

Hello

I just bought an Corolla E120 2004 on an auction and i was told it had a charging problem and the Battery light on the dashboard was showing. I thought it was a quick fix with Battery and/or alternator. I changed Battery and measured the alternator to 13.5V.Still problem is there.I discovered one recite during cleanup in the car and i saw that the previous owner had connected the cables wrong and the workshop had changed the 100A fuse and said alternator was ok?

What is your advice i should look at? I intend to use the car to and from shops but i need it to work and approved. The rest of the car is in good condition.

1.6l petrol with automatic. 

Change the alternator, a half dead rectifier with show a voltage but may not be able to supply the current - start the car and turn on all the lights, blower motor on full and the rear heated screen then check the voltage

does the car have any codes ?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, flash22 said:

Change the alternator, a half dead rectifier with show a voltage but may not be able to supply the current - start the car and turn on all the lights, blower motor on full and the rear heated screen then check the voltage

does the car have any codes ?

Thanks for your advice flash22. I should receive the alternator this week and will try and see how it goes. Will give update when it is done. 

I have not got any codes from the Obd2 diagnostics. Tried two different devices with two different applications with license. Both come up empty. 

Obd2.png

ok, that narrows it down - i would suspect the alternator electronics, be aware there are a lot of Chinese junk alternators on the market

• Like 2

On 8/29/2023 at 5:34 PM, flash22 said:

ok, that narrows it down - i would suspect the alternator electronics, be aware there are a lot of Chinese junk alternators on the market

Thanks flash22

problem solved. We tested all fuses which was ok. The driving light did not come on but when we rubbed the cable to the alternator it did. When I stopped the engine and started again the light did not come back before I touched the cable again. 
I replaced the alternator and now it works perfectly again. Alarm is also gone on the dashboard. 

thanks for your support 

• Like 5

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links