Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Blue panel backlight/ambient lighting

YarisHybrid2016

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the brightness of the panel backlighting (aircon and nav buttons), and of the ambient lighting (doors, center console, and foot well lighting)???

I noticed that the ambient lighting on the GR Sport is dimmer than on the Cross, particularly when it dims down for driving (PERFECT!), but is still quite bright on the Cross, which is even brighter when in Park.

It got me wondering if it is possible to adjust the brightness of the ambient lighting? While the GR Sport is dimmer, it is still very usable, but dim enough that it isn't distracting like the Cross (I want to reduce it all the time).

Another difference we noticed was the GR Sport ambient lighting is linked to whether the headlights are on or off, while in the Cross the ambient lighting is on all the time (even during the day).

For those wondering, the GR Sport brightest level is a bit dimmer than the Cross dimmed level. I much prefer it. The aircon and nav buttons are the same brightness as the Cross, which I find a bit harsh.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2023 at 1:21 PM, flash22 said:

Is it not linked to the dash brightness ?

No. It seems to be fixed, and no way to change it (either through a menu or OBD).

My Yaris didn't have ambiant lighting, so I added a couple of 12 led strips to the footwell.  They are fairly bright but dim to half automatically when in Drive. They are on all the time the ignition is on. They come on when you open a door as well and go off with the interior light on exiting.

There were two connectors under the trim and I chose the left hand one (easier to tap into being right handed) leaving the right hand connector empty.  Maybe check where yours are connected to?  Can't really believe Toyota would have dimming and non-dimming connectors, but it's a quick and free check to see.

A piece of duct tape as a shield to cut out some of the light in the footwell?  As to the doors and cubby hole, those panels pop off really easily (centre one and door switch panels) so, again, possible to dim them with a bit of tape.

Not an ideal solution, but one that may just fix it for you.

The ambient lighting is controlled by the BCM, is it under vehicle - customization on the Touch2

16 hours ago, flash22 said:

The ambient lighting is controlled by the BCM, is it under vehicle - customization on the Touch2

I've checked, and backlighting can't be altered.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links