Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Economy - Hard to believe this.....

jthspace

I don't believe these figures. I filled the tank to the brim on Thursday and we left for Northumberland from Cambridge. Hit the A1 and A69 to Hexham with two comfort breaks. Didn't hang about but kept to fast traffic flows.

Did one run on Friday to two English heritage places on A and mainly B roads in Northumberland. 

Came home today on A1 to Leeds, M1 to Nottingham (sister) and A52/A1/A14/M11 to home.

Filled the car to the brim. E5 petrol both fills.

Total mileage for trip : 638 Miles

Brim to brim fill up 27.18 litres E5 / 6 gallons.

That's 108 Miles to the gallon. I really can't fathom it out.

When I say brim to brim it was manual fill after auto shut off until fuel seen gurgling. Even if I'm 2 litres out it is still remarkable. BTW, aircon off for most of the time.

I love this Yaris!

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jthspace said:

I don't believe these figures. I filled the tank to the brim on Thursday and we left for Northumberland from Cambridge. Hit the A1 and A69 to Hexham with two comfort breaks. Didn't hang about but kept to fast traffic flows.

Did one run on Friday to two English heritage places on A and mainly B roads in Northumberland. 

Came home today on A1 to Leeds, M1 to Nottingham (sister) and A52/A1/A14/M11 to home.

When I say brim to brim it was manual fill after auto shut off until fuel seen gurgling. Even if I'm 2 litres out it is still remarkable. BTW, aircon off for most of the time.

I love this Yaris!

Very nice.

Motorway journeys and keeping at about 68-70 utilises the EV mode to keep the engine ticking over and the momentum up.  I once got (and never repeated lol) 127mpg measured on the guess-oh-meter between Oxford town centre and Clacket lane services on M25. 
your Yaris sounds like it Rocked that journey. 

• Like 2

Right??? I keep saying, this new Yaris drivetrain is insane! :laugh: 

Toyota absolutely bulls-eyed this combination of chassis and drivetrain.

I don't know of any other car that has such high levels of responsiveness and handling, yet can still return double the mpg of most other petrol cars at the same time! I think this is the first hybrid than can even beat diesels at all speeds!

If it wasn't for the high cost, I think almost every small car would be replaced by one of these!!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jthspace said:

I love this Yaris!

It’s quite possible Jeff depending on the route although you need to give it more time for a better average as it might do somewhat less around town.  I personally wouldn’t deprive myself of the wonderful automatic air conditioning which on yours also features nanoe x facility.  You might lose a few percent but you’ll lose the refinement if you don’t.  The a/c on the Yaris is very efficient.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, anchorman said:

It’s quite possible Jeff depending on the route although you need to give it more time for a better average as it might do somewhat less around town.  I personally wouldn’t deprive myself of the wonderful automatic air conditioning which on yours also features nanoe x facility.  You might lose a few percent but you’ll lose the refinement if you don’t.  The a/c on the Yaris is very efficient.  

Yup AC = static 5mpg drop

108 mpg is insane economy to be honest, quite unheard of a few years back. Thats better than even the most frugal diesel can do. If only the Tories would allow petrol hybrids to continue to be produced after 2030 even if petrol and diesel non hybrid are banned, it would give a fair and reasonable alternative to solely electric drivetrains which not everyone is able to practically own or afford. I imagine round town used for short journeys the mpg would reduce substantially, but to achieve over 100mpg on a long run is very impressive.

I have managed to wring out 61mpg from my 1.33 petrol on a run, with a/c off and no other load on the engine and round town doing short 3 mile runs back and forth to work all I can get then is 30 - 35mpg, and even worse if I get stuck in bad rush hour traffic. Although I couldnt afford the cost of a brand new Hybrid right now and have reservations about Battery reliability past 10 years old in a second hand Hybrid, if I could afford a newer Hybrid mk4 I would have one at that sort of mpg returns.

Jthspace - Is yours the Yaris Cross or the standard Yaris ?

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Paul john said:

Yup AC = static 5mpg drop

Explain….

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stevie J said:

108 mpg is insane economy to be honest, quite unheard of a few years back. Thats better than even the most frugal diesel can do. If only the Tories would allow petrol hybrids to continue to be produced after 2030 even if petrol and diesel non hybrid are banned, it would give a fair and reasonable alternative to solely electric drivetrains which not everyone is able to practically own or afford. I imagine round town used for short journeys the mpg would reduce substantially, but to achieve over 100mpg on a long run is very impressive.

I have managed to wring out 61mpg from my 1.33 petrol on a run, with a/c off and no other load on the engine and round town doing short 3 mile runs back and forth to work all I can get then is 30 - 35mpg, and even worse if I get stuck in bad rush hour traffic. Although I couldnt afford the cost of a brand new Hybrid right now and have reservations about battery reliability past 10 years old in a second hand Hybrid, if I could afford a newer Hybrid mk4 I would have one at that sort of mpg returns.

The tories have just pushed it out to 2035, the Labour Party have stuck with 2030.  

• Like 3

Jeff.

Very impressive I wonder what you or somebody  can achieve on a long motorway run as I only do short motoway trips at the most 2nd motorway exit.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, anchorman said:

The tories have just pushed it out to 2035, the Labour Party have stuck with 2030.  

I think what I meant to say was they should allow Hybrids to continue to be sold alongside electric after the deadline for the death of petrol and diesel non hybrid engined cars. I know Sunak said he would push the date back to 2035, but it aint set in stone yet - he could face a rebellion from certain members of his own party - it will take legislation to postpone the deadline, and until that is done and dusted, there is still every possibility the delay to the deadline may not go ahead. I know Starmer's party has said they will stick to the 2030 deadline. If only they would allow fuel efficient Hybrids to be sold alongside electric only after the deadline - they are not perfect, but at least they are more suitable for people that dont have their own private parking and home charger, such as those living on terraced streets, in flats, and other places where charging an electric is not possible - a Hybrid would be the next best thing. If only a compromise could be reached, it would be very sad if even the Hybrid system is banned.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Stevie J said:

I think what I meant to say was they should allow Hybrids to continue to be sold alongside electric after the deadline for the death of petrol and diesel non hybrid engined cars. I know Sunak said he would push the date back to 2035, but it aint set in stone yet - he could face a rebellion from certain members of his own party - it will take legislation to postpone the deadline, and until that is done and dusted, there is still every possibility the delay to the deadline may not go ahead. I know Starmer's party has said they will stick to the 2030 deadline. If only they would allow fuel efficient Hybrids to be sold alongside electric only after the deadline - they are not perfect, but at least they are more suitable for people that dont have their own private parking and home charger, such as those living on terraced streets, in flats, and other places where charging an electric is not possible - a Hybrid would be the next best thing. If only a compromise could be reached, it would be very sad if even the Hybrid system is banned.

A lot can happen between now and then. 

• Like 2

Toyota is the only company that has sold me a car that matches or improves their official combined MPG figures.  Their brochures quote a 54-64 mpg combined figure for the Yaris Cross.  I now achieve a regular 70 mpg which I have calculated by long division sums, rather than depending on the digital read out.  However, both figures are nearly always the same.  I have previously owned Audis, VWs, Skodas and not one of them achieved anywhere near their official claims.  In fact, some of the claims were totally misleading and I’m surprised that they were never taken to task on the matter.

The Yaris Cross truly is a remarkable car and I’m glad I eventually moved over to the Toyota family.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Stevie J said:

I think what I meant to say was they should allow Hybrids to continue to be sold alongside electric after the deadline for the death of petrol and diesel non hybrid engined cars.

The problem is that there are many levels of hybrid. Toyota seem to have it nailed but most of the others are, shall we say, not that great. So legislation to account for that would be complicated to put it mildly.

I just wish they would 'allow' for a small size plug-in hybrid as that would satisfy so many needs, but that is a nuance far beyond politicians ken.

• Like 3

Lol, great figures indeed 👍 

I can tell you that those Yarises that are flying around me on M25 on daily basis does not get near these figures at all 🚀🫢

Yaris hybrid currently is the cheapest car to run from all available energies, petrol, diesel, hybrid or electric. 
Hybrids indeed should simply remain available as alternative fuel cars post 2035, even some diesel and petrol only applications. 
The other makes hybrids, some of them has come close to Toyota as efficiency but remain more complicated as mechanics and not to my personal like, although they are better than before so they should stay too. 

The true beauty of Toyota hybrids power train is the exceptional economy, the smooth and easy drive, the minimum maintenance requirements similar to full electric cars, the reliability and owners expense on a long run. 

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Stevie J said:

Whilst the Yaris was in for a paint repair, they loaned me a Yaris Cross for 2 days.  I hate to say it (sorry Cross owners) but I didn't like it.  In comparison to the Yaris, it was less pleasant to drive and I found the engine was running almost all of the time.  The dealer agreed with me and said the Cross is a heavier car and has the same power train but really needs something beefier.  For completeness, the one I was given was the "4WD" version.

For me, the Yaris is practical and fun to drive, the Cross is a nice car but not for me

Again, each to his own 😁

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, anchorman said:

I agree, the visit to my Son and family in Northumberland was 2 long runs and a day roaming Northumberland A and B roads so not the normal pattern of driving.  My typical countryside ambles (hardly any town driving) regularly returns 70+ MPG and I was shocked and amazed one such journey returned a mid 60's.  However, going out solo "may" have had something to do with it 😎

Weather was kind so didn't need the AC, but generally it's on 50% of the time.  I agree, it's an efficient system, even in ECO setting.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, jthspace said:

Whilst the Yaris was in for a paint repair, they loaned me a Yaris Cross for 2 days.  I hate to say it (sorry Cross owners) but I didn't like it.  In comparison to the Yaris, it was less pleasant to drive and I found the engine was running almost all of the time.  The dealer agreed with me and said the Cross is a heavier car and has the same power train but really needs something beefier.  For completeness, the one I was given was the "4WD" version.

For me, the Yaris is practical and fun to drive, the Cross is a nice car but not for me

Again, each to his own 😁

Haven't driven the cross, though not surprised by what you've said. Went from a MK3 to the MK4 Yaris myself, it's a great car. Always felt the cross with the same engine/power will be a bit lacking. When the cross 130 does come out it will be better. 

That is amazing mpg. On myt app the other day says 24% fuel left, 100 miles range left in the car.  Start the car after a few days, range left gone up to 145 miles and 32% left, don't know how that works out. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

On myt app the other day says 24% fuel left, 100 miles range left in the car.  Start the car after a few days, range left gone up to 145 miles and 32% left, don't know how that works out. 

Something strange happens when you get close to the reserve. I generally don't get that low, but the rare time I did, I suddenly found my available ranged jumped. 32% is c. 12 litres, which is 4 litres off the reserve (c. 8 litres).

• Like 3

Got it down to 6 miles range left, wanted to go down to 0 but due to my next journey distance couldn't do it. Put in 29 litres, so my estimate when it's 0, there is probably 6.5 litres left. 

• Like 4

The range to empty is a complete waste of time. It will always predict the range to reserve and it varies on how the car is driven.  The trip computer on the whole is a toy and can’t be relied upon to give accurate data.  The most consistent indicator is the low fuel light on a level road which is a float.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, anchorman said:

IMO it won't matter which government is elected these announcements are all smoke and mirrors, the car industry itself will dictate the timeline for the reduction of diesel and petrol engines, they will simply stop producing them, most manufacturers have invested huge sums of money gearing up for the transition from ICE to EV so even in the short term ICE cars will unfortunately gradually become harder to source     

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mojo1010 said:

Got it down to 6 miles range left, wanted to go down to 0 but due to my next journey distance couldn't do it. Put in 29 litres, so my estimate when it's 0, there is probably 6.5 litres left. 

I’m a bit of a belt and braces type of guy and would never on purpose let my fuel tank go so low.  I’d be squirming in my seat and be hyper vigilant in locating the nearest filling station.  If your estimate that 6.5 litres left in the tank is fairly accurate then all is well.

• Like 6

Once I drive 20 miles in negative, I managed to fill up around 40ltr after that which means I had left with 2ltrs of petrol in the tank. It was not my choice just specific circumstances that had happened and the car was showing messages “low fuel” but there was nothing around except me, the country lanes and the moon. 🫢

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

Just refilled with 2 miles on the range meter. Filled with 30.26 litre to first click. ( never fill more nowadays so as not to damage the fuel recycling thingummy). MPG meter 5% optimistic from calcs. 424 range now. I’m sure there is a safe 20 miles left in the tank at least.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Russ Taylor said:

Just refilled with 2 miles on the range meter. Filled with 30.26 litre to first click. ( never fill more nowadays so as not to damage the fuel recycling thingummy). MPG meter 5% optimistic from calcs. 424 range now. I’m sure there is a safe 20 miles left in the tank at least.

My range when filling to first click at 29L is about 500 miles, this is the computers estimate at my usual driving pattern I guess. Manual says 5.4L when light comes on. 

@Jimota normally I would go below 0 on petrol/diesel only cars just so I can estimate how many litres of fuel left in the event I was caught a bit short out of town.

Plenty of fuel station around my area so it's never been a problem. Bad case scenario on this is out of fuel - walk to fuel station or call breakdown. On the hybrid I don't want to play that game due to hybrid Battery

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links