Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Economy - Hard to believe this.....

jthspace

I’m extremely thankful for the members who have taken the risk to run their cars to the bare minimum fuel tank level.  Whilst I appreciate your calculations, I’ll still take the cautious approach and refill before the warning light comes on.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

In addition to my previous comment, I had personal experience of a colleague who ran out of fuel on the M74 near Beatock Summit during a horrible winter night which required an AA patrolman to attend.  The police were also in attendance to illuminate the area in case of a potential collision on the hard shoulder.  My colleague was driving a Ford Mondeo which had an indicated fuel range of 70 miles left in the tank.  That’s why I’m a belt and braces type of guy.

• Like 5

I find the fuel gauge in mine rather too alarmist to be honest, when the needle is down to just 1/8 of a tank, I can usually get about 30 litres in it till the pump clicks off, and then another litre or so after that and its full. Considering the tank capacity of the Mk3 is 42.5 litres, that means there was about 12 litres left in at the point it looks almost empty down to the R mark on the gauge. 

I dont usually take much notice of the mpg avg readout on the computer, as it's usually out by a few mpg, I just fill the car to the brim each time and reset the mileage on the trip meter. If it takes 30 litres then to fill it up and the mileage covered since the last refill was 300 then I divide the miles by the litres and multiply that by 4.5 to get the true mpg which is often less than what the computer says it should be.

• Like 1

I hadn't mentioned this but the fuel gauge isn't exactly helpful. After filling up it remains full or one or two segments below full for ages and then drops at an alarming rate downwards in a relatively short time.  I've only had one "low fuel" warning since getting the car so always now head to a fuel station when it's down to two or three segments. 

Definitely better to reset trip info at each fill I think.

• Like 2

I'm always in eco mode and limit my speeds/cruise control to 60mph now + trying to be as smooth of a driver as I can be and my average mpg stays in the low 80s. I remember it was 72.5 almost always when I drove up to 74mph before. When I'm rarely in a rush, I still go to 70s but yes, I'm more than happy with these numbers lol. 

I'm experimenting with B mode soon because I'm curious why on earth would I ever use that because after every downhill I go on there's an uphill... obviously? So might as well stay in D mode?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Lol, great figures indeed 👍 

I can tell you that those Yarises that are flying around me on M25 on daily basis does not get near these figures at all 🚀🫢

Yaris hybrid currently is the cheapest car to run from all available energies, petrol, diesel, hybrid or electric. 
Hybrids indeed should simply remain available as alternative fuel cars post 2035, even some diesel and petrol only applications. 
The other makes hybrids, some of them has come close to Toyota as efficiency but remain more complicated as mechanics and not to my personal like, although they are better than before so they should stay too. 

The true beauty of Toyota hybrids power train is the exceptional economy, the smooth and easy drive, the minimum maintenance requirements similar to full electric cars, the reliability and owners expense on a long run. 

I've done motorways on a daily basis for the past 2 months, 65mpg minimum is what I got and it's still great

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Serban said:

I'm always in eco mode and limit my speeds/cruise control to 60mph now + trying to be as smooth of a driver as I can be and my average mpg stays in the low 80s. I remember it was 72.5 almost always when I drove up to 74mph before. When I'm rarely in a rush, I still go to 70s but yes, I'm more than happy with these numbers lol. 

I'm experimenting with B mode soon because I'm curious why on earth would I ever use that because after every downhill I go on there's an uphill... obviously? So might as well stay in D mode?

B mode. Manual says don't use all the time but on descent only. Well, after driving manual cars forever (and MX5's for 10) I really hate getting to a bend and the car not slowing down so that you go into the corner under power. I was taught never to go into a corner unless under some power. Especially on a motorcycle.  During a recent country lanes run, I left it in B mode and found that it reduced braking requirements and let me take most bends without having to brake, almost like changing down and allowing me to drive around the bend with power on. Hope that all makes sense. 

• Like 3

B mode obviously is engine braking to assist with descent. Wouldn't want to do that will all the fast bends as the engine is working then, only if I have gone far to fast approaching it. Acceleration is also dampen on it, the time I got it in B mode by mistake after doing a 3 point turn, felt the sluggishness right away. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

B mode obviously is engine braking to assist with descent. Wouldn't want to do that will all the fast bends as the engine is working then, only if I have gone far to fast approaching it. Acceleration is also dampen on it, the time I got it in B mode by mistake after doing a 3 point turn, felt the sluggishness right away. 

Thing is B mode slowed me down too much on the routes I've taken downhill (perhaps because nobody in front of me uses engine breaking lol) whereas D mode keeps my car at a constant slowing speed behind the car in front of me before we reach a full stop with a second use of the brakes. In B mode I would slow down more and have to re accelerate to keep up with the speed. I just have to experiment more I suppose.

• Like 3

I find B-mode is far too aggressive for normal use in the Mk4. It's like being in 1st or 2nd gear! :eek: 

• Like 2

I use B all the time to hold back on a steep hill or into a bend.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, anchorman said:

I use B all the time to hold back on a steep hill or into a bend.  

Dont use B mode if you on the level horizontal surface or going up a hill as then you are wasting fuel.

Its for very steep decent to stop wear to your brake pads.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Dont use B mode if you on the level horizontal surface or going up a hill as then you are wasting fuel.

Its for very steep decent to stop wear to your brake pads.

I know what it’s for 👍

• Like 2

I only use B mode for long steep decents because if I stay out of B mode  it help clean up the brake disks.

• Like 3

On 9/27/2023 at 11:10 AM, jthspace said:

Whilst the Yaris was in for a paint repair, they loaned me a Yaris Cross for 2 days.  I hate to say it (sorry Cross owners) but I didn't like it.  In comparison to the Yaris, it was less pleasant to drive and I found the engine was running almost all of the time.  The dealer agreed with me and said the Cross is a heavier car and has the same power train but really needs something beefier.  For completeness, the one I was given was the "4WD" version.

For me, the Yaris is practical and fun to drive, the Cross is a nice car but not for me

Again, each to his own 😁

Interesting. Our Cross (2WD) is out-performing my Yaris for fuel economy so far. I put this down to two things: the GR Sport has wider tyres = increased rolling resistance and so increased fuel consumption, and it is much lower milage than the Cross, so tighter (for now).

Best I managed out of mine (on only its third tank) was 75 MPG (manual calculation). Still better than the Cross when it was new, but still a long way away from 100 MPG!

I think mine simply has the wrong wheels for economy (I knew this before I bought it though - absolute economy wasn't top of the list). The handling characteristics more than make up for the slight drop in efficiency. 😇😂

I have the stretch Corolla right now while my tailgate is repaired. Not sure if it is 1.8 or 2.0 L, but it is the base model, so I guess 1.8 L. It handles nothing like the Yaris, but it is a heavier car (and is prone to severe understeer). I'm getting used to it, but don't think it is at all worth the price tag. Best I could muster out of it was 60 MPG at 53 MPH (62 MPG by the time I crawled through city traffic).

Toyota can keep the new Safety Sense 3.0. WTF. Positively dangerous. The only thing they seem to have improved for the better is auto high-beam. The "bubble" or whatever it is, is too damn reactive and brakes quite significantly when there is no actual risk of collision (e.g. passing parked cars). Speed limiter mode can decelerate like adaptive cruise (quite aggressive, and frankly not very smooth - I was getting motion sickness). LTA can't be disabled totally, and too often it thinks I'm going off the road and nudges the car quite hard, making steering extremely annoying (especially as I'm diverging to avoid holes in the road).

• Like 3

Today went for a day trip to visit Grey's Court national trust. Think the fuel light came on with 12 miles range left. Returned home in negative 30 odd miles, fuel to first click at 32.85L. IMG_20231001_175817.thumb.jpg.2c1ae9bef96aecb1dd3bd4a727e964b2.jpg

Calculation works out to be 66.6mpg, computer says 71.7 above. Not bad, could be a lot better. Only thing I can say is I'm not the only one driving the car, so could of got more if only me driving it. 

Want to push it below 0 today for the first time. If can get another litre of fuel in after the first click, then there was about 2 litres left. So will use today's record for future reference. Don't intend to get it this low in the future though, this was a test run.

• Like 3

On 9/27/2023 at 8:13 PM, Stevie J said:

the tank capacity of the Mk3 is 42.5 litres

No it isn't! Mk.3 Yaris has 35 L tank capacity!

8 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

No it isn't! Mk.3 Yaris has 35 L tank capacity!

Page 473 of the online manual for my 2014 Mk3 says its 42L. It may be 35 for the Hybrid but not for the petrol engined models.

Screenshot 2023-10-02 200737.jpg

16 hours ago, Stevie J said:

Page 473 of the online manual for my 2014 Mk3 says its 42L

My bad! I keep forgetting the Mk.3 had non-hybrid versions.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

If talking about mk3 hybrid, it's 36L

If you want to run out of fuel, it is. 😂

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links