Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Big mileage 2.0 hybrid corolla

taxidriver50005

Have we got any big mileage 2.0 hybrid corolla's on here and how are they holding up. 

35 minutes ago, taxidriver50005 said:

Have we got any big mileage 2.0 hybrid corolla's on here and how are they holding up. 

Mine has done 136.000 km. I don't know if that's high enough. 

I've changed the wipers once, and 1 set of summer tyres. Winter tyres gets changed before the snow and frost set in. Brakes has never been changed, and discs seems rust free. Milage is 20 km/l. as year average. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/1/2023 at 12:01 PM, nielshm said:

Mine has done 136.000 km. I don't know if that's high enough. 

I've changed the wipers once, and 1 set of summer tyres. Winter tyres gets changed before the snow and frost set in. Brakes has never been changed, and discs seems rust free. Milage is 20 km/l. as year average. 

I know the car itself will be good but interested in how how 2.0 is compaired to the solid 1.8

1 hour ago, taxidriver50005 said:

I know the car itself will be good but interested in how how 2.0 is compaired to the solid 1.8

Same. There are high mileage examples from USA , rav4 which is basically the same engine just slightly bigger and no issues at all. 👍

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Same. There are high mileage examples from USA , rav4 which is basically the same engine just slightly bigger and no issues at all. 👍

After the direct injectors went awall at 25,000 miles I was wondering if anything else is looming.... I now know of 4 other 2.0 hybrid ts that have had injectors... But still very little info on the Web. 

On 10/3/2023 at 8:38 PM, taxidriver50005 said:

After the direct injectors went awall at 25,000 miles I was wondering if anything else is looming.... I now know of 4 other 2.0 hybrid ts that have had injectors... But still very little info on the Web. 

Mines been in again for an injector to be changed after 4 were changed 10k ago (20000 miles)  Rough idle on the port injection cycle to blame. Injector 3 gummed up but no one knows why. Run on vpower since new. 

Gonna be a recurring issue I think. Glad it’s under warranty. 

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, shufman said:

Mines been in again for an injector to be changed after 4 were changed 10k ago (20000 miles)  Rough idle on the port injection cycle to blame. Injector 3 gummed up but no one knows why. Run on vpower since new. 

Gonna be a recurring issue I think. Glad it’s under warranty. 

Could it se sealing or gasket materials breaking off, and blocking the injector from the inside? With V-Power in every tank, no carbon build-up should be present.

• Like 1

Don’t know.

I’ll try and find out but none of that was mentioned, my friend did the work so I’ll try and find out. Don’t know if this is an earlier car issue as mine was built around  Sep 2019 

• Like 1

Bit of a worry, I generally do about 60,000 miles a year.... Not been using this car for work yet.. If you have already had new injectors it can't be early build problems.... This motor has been out for nearly 5 years now.... Sombody must have the info. 

• Like 1

Another case of injectors on one of the Facebook groups. This one had around 38,000 miles. Juddering was the symptom. 

Lots of high mileage RAV4s with the ‘bigger brother’ 2.5 4 cylinder A25 FXS engine. One on the Mileage Impossible Facebook group with over 300,000 miles with no issues. This suggests that (injectors aside) the dynamic force engines hold up quite well  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gray86 said:

Another case of injectors on one of the Facebook groups. This one had around 38,000 miles. Juddering was the symptom. 

Lots of high mileage RAV4s with the ‘bigger brother’ 2.5 4 cylinder A25 FXS engine. One on the Mileage Impossible Facebook group with over 300,000 miles with no issues. This suggests that (injectors aside) the dynamic force engines hold up quite well  

Mine may never make 100,000 miles if the injectors keep failing every 30,000miles 😩😩😩😩

Evening,

So I asked what might be the cause and the reply was man..defect or fuel - I think if it was fuel then all of the injectors would have issues plus the DPF but it was just the one. 

Apparently there are upgraded part numbers now for injectors to fix this issue if yours fail 

• Like 2

Just wonder .... if injectors are failing on the 2.0 despite in at least one case using VPower fuel - a contributing factor might (just MIGHT) be that the 2.0 works a lot less hard than maybe a 1.8.   And as such maybe the 2.0 will benefit from an occasional "Italian tune-up".  

For example my own car very rarely revs beyond 2000 rpm, despite driving swiftly.  This will be excacerbated by us enjoying the fuel economy.  Despite also very much enjoying the point and squirt nature of our 2.0, ours has an average reported as 57mpg since new (now >13000m).

Just a thought. 

15 hours ago, taxidriver50005 said:

Mine may never make 100,000 miles if the injectors keep failing every 30,000miles 😩😩😩😩

Are you not using it for taxi? 
I think you should be the one who has highest miles and greatest experience. It is strange uk and Italy has Corolla 2.0 issues, in USA they have these without any problems. Likely to be something with the fuels, or drive patterns. 

4 hours ago, Talking Houbik said:

Just wonder .... if injectors are failing on the 2.0 despite in at least one case using VPower fuel - a contributing factor might (just MIGHT) be that the 2.0 works a lot less hard than maybe a 1.8.   And as such maybe the 2.0 will benefit from an occasional "Italian tune-up".  

For example my own car very rarely revs beyond 2000 rpm, despite driving swiftly.  This will be excacerbated by us enjoying the fuel economy.  Despite also very much enjoying the point and squirt nature of our 2.0, ours has an average reported as 57mpg since new (now >13000m).

Just a thought. 

So is the injector issue only with 2.0 litre engines ? If it was a fuel problem surely the 1.8 litre engines would be affected, unless as you say they rev higher.

33 minutes ago, Basil-BarryC said:

So is the injector issue only with 2.0 litre engines ? If it was a fuel problem surely the 1.8 litre engines would be affected, unless as you say they rev higher.

The 2.0 has direct and port injectors while the 1.8 only has port.... Its the direct injectors giving the issues 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Are you not using it for taxi? 
I think you should be the one who has highest miles and greatest experience. It is strange uk and Italy has Corolla 2.0 issues, in USA they have these without any problems. Likely to be something with the fuels, or drive patterns. 

Wife is using corolla at the moment while I'm still in my prius, I bought the corolla with intention of cabbing in it because head gasket had gone in my prius... Don't know what I was thinking as the head gasket repair was only £1000 all in and done properly... So prius is now at 374,000 miles and no sign of giving up yet... But when it does it's the corolla for me. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

Have they stopped using the 1.8 engine?

Not at all. This engine is made in England and is the more popular variant.
The latest gen5 hybrids with 1.8 are very good and efficient, close to Prius and Yaris numbers. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Talking Houbik said:

Just a thought. 

I’ve been mulling this over today. A 2.0 used in town will rarely see more than 2,000 Rpm (and often 1,500rpm), similar to a cruise at 70mph. I think you need to floor it plenty in the 2.0 to get the revs to rise and some heat in the engine. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gray86 said:

I’ve been mulling this over today. A 2.0 used in town will rarely see more than 2,000 Rpm (and often 1,500rpm), similar to a cruise at 70mph. I think you need to floor it plenty in the 2.0 to get the revs to rise and some heat in the engine. 

1.8 works exact the same way. Rpm remains low. Only under hard acceleration the rpm rises to 4500 and slowly climb up to around 5500 or more. Cruising at 60mph will be either 0 rpm and ev or around 1000 depending on load.
The problem with injectors likely to be from the fuel imo or the way the systems works.
The direct injectors are always inside the combustion chambers but not always spray fuel to clean themselves. 
The port injectors spray pattern cleans the valve but then enters the chambers and spread around before been compressed and burned.
What if there is a some sort of pattern driving style that keeps direct injection off most of the time and the injectors built carbon and then the problems begin. Perhaps someone with this issue can use some additives first to try to cure them before going to the dealer. Just interesting to see what would it happen. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, taxidriver50005 said:

The 2.0 has direct and port injectors while the 1.8 only has port.... Its the direct injectors giving the issues 

It was the port injectors both times. 

3 injectors were fine with no issues, the port injection cycle works (as I understand it) when the car is fast idling after starting. When the engine note deepens it moves to direct injection - my car drove fine just with occasional juddering when the engine revs were been held low by the ecu. Eg. After starting with a warm engine. 

Carbon wasn’t mentioned just “gunk” 

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

1.8 works exact the same way. Rpm remains low. Only under hard acceleration the rpm rises to 4500 and slowly climb up to around 5500 or more. Cruising at 60mph will be either 0 rpm and ev or around 1000 depending on load.
The problem with injectors likely to be from the fuel imo or the way the systems works.
The direct injectors are always inside the combustion chambers but not always spray fuel to clean themselves. 
The port injectors spray pattern cleans the valve but then enters the chambers and spread around before been compressed and burned.
What if there is a some sort of pattern driving style that keeps direct injection off most of the time and the injectors built carbon and then the problems begin. Perhaps someone with this issue can use some additives first to try to cure them before going to the dealer. Just interesting to see what would it happen. 

I’ve been around direct injection issues for the last 13 years with VW TFSI engines, and was really hoping to avoid it with Toyota. I think it’s inevitable with these DI setups that the injectors will be subject to problems. I know guys who run only Shell v-power and drive their cars hard, only to find misfires occurring and sometimes cracked piston ring landings as a result. The combustion chamber is a harsh environment for an injector with fine spray holes. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links