Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What fuel do we all use?

Yowsah

E10 not a problem at all for most cars even these that are exempt from using it. My family relative has Avensis 2.0 from 2006, those that should not use it, however where he lives there is only e10 available and he uses it now over 5 years without any problems. My dad has to give up driving for 6 months , e10 half tank again, no issues at all. 
If you don’t feel the difference when you are driving your car then it’s ok. I do feel and do not like how my car sounds and drives on e10 and this is only the reason why I prefer e5. 

• Like 4

Like Skidlid, I've used supermarket fuel since it became available in the 80's.  Anybody who thinks that their car runs better because they are paying over the odds for fuel with snake oil in it, quite simply is deluded.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AndrueC said:

E5 v E10 will apparently result in a small change in mpg but given the higher cost of E5 is probably not worth worrying about.

I didn't start using super unleaded because i thought it would give me more MPG i wasn't even aware it did back then, i decided to use it because i had an old car and when the governments E10 car check site said it was ok to use in it but a warning said no guarantees it would not harm the old girl  i decided to move to super unleaded i immediately noticed it drover differently so carried on also  the fact it has additives which will clean old deposits and keep it clean was a big plus, when i later bought my MK3 Yaris i decided to stick with E5 as the difference in price between Shell E10 and Tesco momentum 99 (E5) is only a few pence.

The additives in the fuel. It’s thought that they can reduce friction and keep the engine clean, resulting in a better performance.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Stivino said:

Like Skidlid, I've used supermarket fuel since it became available in the 80's.  Anybody who thinks that their car runs better because they are paying over the odds for fuel with snake oil in it, quite simply is deluded.

This has already been discussed if the additives were snake oil i am sure we would have heard from the experts who would love to take the petrol industry to task for lying to the general public.

https://youtu.be/8uIsbRaArvk?feature=shared&t=657

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

This has already been discussed if the additives were snake oil i am sure we would have heard from the experts who would love to take the petrol industry to task for lying to the general public.

I'm sure that I've read expert opinions many times saying that there were little to no benefits to be had.

I'd be interested to hear the opinions of the armchair petrochemical experts on the site though and, I think I've just had one 🤣

47 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

E10 not a problem at all for most cars even these that are exempt from using it. My family relative has Avensis 2.0 from 2006, those that should not use it, however where he lives there is only e10 available and he uses it now over 5 years without any problems. My dad has to give up driving for 6 months , e10 half tank again, no issues at all. 
If you don’t feel the difference when you are driving your car then it’s ok. I do feel and do not like how my car sounds and drives on e10 and this is only the reason why I prefer e5. 

He must be in a testing area for new fuel. Since e10 was only released countrywide in september 21 which is only 2 years not 5. 
it does take time for the extra ethanol to rot a non compatible component, so i would say watch out for random failures in the next year. 
As i have said in a previous posts country wide fuel changes are often met with people who push the boundaries. I have seen plenty of unleaded non compliant “classic cars” designed to run on leaded filling up with unleaded and just putting up with the extra noise or retarding the ignition, right up until they throw a valve. 
Everyone has an opinion on this and as long as you are happy with your choices keep calm and carry on. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Stivino said:

I'm sure that I've read expert opinions many times saying that there were little to no benefits to be had.I'd be interested to hear the opinions of the armchair petrochemical experts on the site though and, I think I've just had one

I am not talking about the views of armchair petrol experts on the site although many are using super unleaded and  prefer it to E10,  i am talking about views of people who have tested super unleaded and say the additives do what they claim they will do.

What are your opinions on my statement "if the additives were snake oil i am sure we would have heard from the experts who would love to take the petrol industry to task for lying to the general public" 

There will always be people who have opposing views i believe from what i have read that the additives do what they are supposed to so dont mind paying a few pence more per litre if you think its all snake oil fair enough carry on using E10. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Paul john said:

Everyone has an opinion on this and as long as you are happy with your choices keep calm and carry on. 

Exactly.

• Like 2

When I had the BMW 2.5 170bhp, on the very odd occasion 97/98ron were used, noticed more power. Can't say I noticed more power on the MK3 Yaris hybrid when I did use it. Though it idle smoother on E5. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

I am not talking about the views of armchair petrol experts on the site

Neither am I.  Although I'm sure that for the most part, their talents are wasted here.🤣

You called it snake oil so i will repeat the question i asked in my earlier post -  

"if the additives were snake oil i am sure we would have heard from experts who would love to take the petrol industry to task for lying to the general public" 

Cleans critical engine parts

New & Improved Shell V-Power unleaded contains three times more cleaning and protection molecules than our regular fuel helping remove performance-robbing deposits and protects against future build-up on vital engine parts such as intake valves or fuel injectors

Red 100% graphic

• Like 3

My family example is from another country where  e10 standard has come into the market since 2018 on all types of petrol. Regular 95 or premium 99 both has up to 10% ethanol so no way people can avoid it.
Those with cars like the Avensis 2.0 I pointed or classic cars have no option but to use additives or purified the petrol themselves, something that my relatives does not do and their cars still running fine., for how long more without problems, no one actually knows. 

• Like 2

All down to people's choice, rather than members being armchair experts. The same label can be used for anyone who has an opinion.

I usually use Tesco Momentum as it has a better additive package than Tesco E10, and is locally  only 1p per litre more than BP/Shell E10.

If our Tesco Extra fuel station is too busy, I will use the BP opposite or the nearby Shell, rather than waste time queuing - either E10 or super unleaded.

Not interested in fuel economy claims - the cars do what it they do, period. 

• Like 3

I use E10 and ill get it from either Tesco or Shell mainly, every 3rd or 4th fill up Ill put the good stuff in E5. I use the E5 just for the claimed cleaning benefit but I cant say I have noticed any difference to performance, idle or MPG.

• Like 4

I once put Premium into a Nissan Sunny (this was many years ago - it was the 1.5 12v version so no ECU) and I seem to recall that it did feel a bit more lively. But I only tried it once so I'm guessing that the change in MPG (or perhaps lack thereof) dissuaded me from further use as I've always been more interested in efficiency than performance.

I have fond memories of that car. The last one Nissan produced before cats became mandatory. Sure it was only a 1.5l engine but what it had it gave freely. The only thing that stopped it accelerating was the floor under your right foot 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I tried 99RON super / E5 on a run down to Hampshire and ran through two tanks over the course of that week touring. Doing similar mileage to my Dad in his CHR 2.0 (he stuck to E10 regular) as they holidayed with us. Fuel economy was similar across both cars (as it is when we both run E10) and the only notable difference is the engine is quieter mechanically and perhaps a little smoother on E5 (and my wallet lighter). After two tanks with little worthwhile difference, I went back to E10. 

Now on 29,000 miles and running well. 

on my previous car (2015 Golf R) I only ever ran it on V-power or momentum as the engine was tuned for the higher octane, a diet of E10 95RON would mean around 270-280bhp, rather than the 300 it should have made. My Dad’s old 1.6t Qashqai also benefitted massively from momentum, in terms of economy and responsiveness. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Gray86 said:

Fuel economy was similar across both cars (as it is when we both run E10) and the only notable difference is the engine is quieter mechanically and perhaps a little smoother on E5 (and my wallet lighter). After two tanks with little worthwhile difference, I went back to E10. 

To be honest there will be *so little difference in mpg between the two fuels  if that is the only reason for switching to premium don't, I use it because as you say the car feels better and because of the additives. 

*no one can do an on the road  comparison because even if you make the same journies you never drive exactly the same. 

• Like 2

Agreed. My toy is a 3.0 V6 Xantia of 1999 vintage that was built to run on unleaded fuel, it is also compatible with both e10 and e5. I’ve run it on e10 and e5 and to be honest I can’t tell any difference. What I will say is, I feel happier using e5 because I think it’s better for the engine, this my not be true but I still feel happier. The car only does around 22 to the gallon but doesn’t do a lot of miles so I just don’t worry about the cost side of it.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Dylanfan said:

Agreed. My toy is a 3.0 V6 Xantia of 1999 vintage that was built to run on unleaded fuel, it is also compatible with both e10 and e5. I’ve run it on e10 and e5 and to be honest I can’t tell any difference. What I will say is, I feel happier using e5 because I think it’s better for the engine, this my not be true but I still feel happier. The car only does around 22 to the gallon but doesn’t do a lot of miles so I just don’t worry about the cost side of it.

If the car isn't used very often then e5 is probably a safer choice anyway as the lower ethanol content makes the fuel slower to deteriorate in the tank. I use e5 petrol in my chainsaw purely for that reason.

By the way I owned a Xantia for several years and it was one of my favourite cars. Mine was the lowly 1.9 turbo diesel base model though. Certainly no need for premium fuel in that, they would apparently run on cooking oil but I never put it to the test!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Eddiefh said:

Could be another 10 pager on fuel 2 week after last one 

I was going to thank you for your input but with the lack of an emoji i wasn't sure if it was a dig or just a general observation.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Eddiefh said:

Could be another 10 pager on fuel 2 week after last one 

It's not rocket science or should that be rocket fuel lol everyone just put in the fuel that they feel their car runs better on is all i do.

• Like 3

Supermarket cheapest for us. Though this 2.0l Corolla is our first petrol car in close to 15 years. Might get my wife to fill it up with better stuff every so often. 

For me finding better diesel, is always out the way or the local village BP that charges a kidney more than across the city. We’re it a family place, I’d consider supporting. Being in the Oil Capital of Europe. It does irk that our fuel is normally dearer than elsewhere too. 

• Like 2

I run Tesco's finest brew because:

• - It's local
  • - It's cheap
  • - Works in any and all of the engines we have
  • - Can be stored without issue for some time (just fired up an old car that's stood for three years with only a few litres of Momentum left in it)
  • Fine for track day use too

Rumour has it - Momentum99 is 2.5% ethanol while Texaco and BP has 0% ethanol in their premium fuels. 

• Like 2

as i have commented before there are only a handfull of refineries in Britain and no matter what brand you prefer it all comes from the same area refinery.  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links