Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What fuel do we all use?

Yowsah

I was wondering what fuel you all use and how you find it performs. E5, E10, V-Power, Synergy etc. I use Shell V-Power in my 2.0 Touring Sport GR Sport. Although a bit more expensive the car runs so well. The mpg is very good and the performance is excellent. It would be good to hear everybody’s fuel experiences.

IMG_3686.jpeg

• Like 4

I use Esso E5 in my C-HR. Great performance and good mpg 

Over the years, I have used different fuels in different vehicles. My old Vauxhall loved Shell, and I got better mpg out of it when I used Shell. The Ford I had before that, happened to get better consumption from BP.

• Like 4

I've tried a bunch of fuels; Didn't really notice any significant difference, just small ones. Tend to just use whatever's cheapest.

Still occasionally throw in some random E5 Super just for the cleaning additives every now and then, usually V-Power or Esso (Esso had the most noticeable effect, albeit still small, of the ones I've tested, but I haven't tried it since they stopped being ethanol-free)

• Like 3

Hi Hutton,

I'm down the bottom of the gene pool with the Toyota family with my little Aygo but I'm totally with you.

I only ever fill up with Shell V-Power  for a few reasons, firstly. I don't do many miles so I can't empty the tank within a month on the E-10 basic unleaded so E-5 V-Power is the one for me.

Secondly, my little fella seems to love the Shell fill-up, he's more responsive, quieter, smoother and less thirsty.

Overall I can say that I will always use Shell (and if at all possible only Shell) V-Power as it does all of the above and also gives me peace of mind that I am actually protecting my engine.

Then again I may be paying over the odds for snake oil but do you know what?.....I don't care!😊

By the way, you've got a lovely looking car with a great reg.....Happy motoring, Matey :driving:

All the best! 😊

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Agent Orange said:

Hi Hutton,

I'm down the bottom of the gene pool with the Toyota family with my little Aygo but I'm totally with you.

I only ever fill up with Shell V-Power  for a few reasons, firstly. I don't do many miles so I can't empty the tank within a month on the E-10 basic unleaded so E-5 V-Power is the one for me.

Secondly, my little fella seems to love the Shell fill-up, he's more responsive, quieter, smoother and less thirsty.

Overall I can say that I will always use Shell (and if at all possible only Shell) V-Power as it does all of the above and also gives me peace of mind that I am actually protecting my engine.

Then again I may be paying over the odds for snake oil but do you know what?.....I don't care!😊

By the way, you've got a lovely looking car with a great reg.....Happy motoring, Matey :driving:

All the best! 😊

I would echo all the points you make about the car liking V-Power. I know it’s more expensive but before I got the Corolla I ran a 100 Series Land Cruiser. Much as I loved that vehicle the fuel costs were pretty large. The Corolla’s fuel costs are much, much less. 

The reg plate is a tribute to my daughter who is no longer with us. I like that her name is on my car.

A wee point is worth mentioning. My local Shell garage has such nice pleasant and friendly staff. I know it’s got nothing to do with the price of fuel but all acts of friendliness and kindness,however small, makes the day go better.

Cheers!🍻 

• Like 8

Hello again, Hutton.

Firstly, I am so sorry to hear about your daughter but what a lovely tribute to her and how great it is to always have her with you in some way.

On a lighter note, it's funny you should mention the staff as they are just the same at my closest Shell garage (Barnoldswick), we always seem to have a chat and a giggle or two. Things like that actually do make any day better......I just wish there was more of it.

All the very best, Hutton, take care. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

I use Tesco Momentum 99 (E5) or Shell V-power  i only use V-power if not planning to go to the next town where they sell the Momentum 99 so i mainly run it on Momentum 99.

• Like 5

Tesco E10. Over summer was getting around 65mpg most of the time but it's dropping now and expect to be down to mid-fifties over winter.

• Like 3

+1 for Tesco momentum e5 99 , almost exclusively and between 60-100 litres  per week on average.
Car runs best on it with greater performance and better efficiency over any other E10 95.
Shell, esso, bp and most other premium fuels are way too expensive for my use. 

• Like 5

We usually use Tesco Momentum in both cars.

Interestingly, despite having the same capacity tanks at our local Tesco Extra, Momentum often runs out at the pumps before E10

• Like 5

95 mainly, sometimes 97.

The GT86 got the expensive stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

We usually use Tesco Momentum in both cars.

Interestingly, despite having the same capacity tanks at our local Tesco Extra, Momentum often runs out at the pumps before E10

You must be using the same fuel station as Tony! :laugh: 

• Haha 3

Yes, I've noticed that too, the Tesco that I have used for a while after noticing smoother running,runs out of the premium stuff first.

Been twice now when the pumps have been locked off.

Bit of a nuisance but make do with v power if no choice.

• Like 3

Well guys lucky are you lot, I don’t have a choice it’s E10 or nothing. I’ve tried all different sellers of petrol and in Ireland as far as I know it’s Hobson’s choice. Maybe other members in other parts of Ireland can chime in if different.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

@Bernard Foy I agree with you Bernard - it seems to be E10 or nowt. Since I got the new Cross, I have not seen any E5. I tend to stick with 'Circle K', unless I am doing an 'emergency' top up at my local garage, but that might have something to do with the fact that I have one of their fuel cards, which gets me 4c a litre off. 😉

• Like 4

Sainsbury Super Unleaded (E5) for me. 
on the occasion when they have ‘run out’ of E5 and E10 is only available I will drive off and fill up with Super Unleaded at Tesco.

none of my Prius from 2005-2023 have had anything other than superunleaded or v power

• Like 4

A lot of our fuel stations only sell E10 now. Sainsburys sell E5 after that if it has a E5 pump its empty.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

A lot of our fuel stations only sell E10 now. Sainsburys sell E5 after that if it has a E5 pump its empty.

If thats the case i see v-power in my future.

this is not a new issue i remember agonising about scrapping my montego in 2002 when leaded 4 star was banned. Throwing away a perfectly good car that could not be converted to unleaded.

Food for thought here

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/driving-advice/what-is-the-best-fuel-for-my-car-a-guide-to-different-fuel-types/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Derek.w said:

Hello Derek,

It might be a little bit out of your way but the Shell station in Wolsingham does V-power at a great price.....There is also a very good shop with a fab, local butcher's outlet in there, great sausages by the way! :drool:

I only know because we stayed in the the village last year, on holiday....What a lovely place....Great Chippy too, if that's of any interest:biggrin:

• Like 2

Esso E5 and E10 i found to be the best so far and within acceptable travel distance a tad better MPG on E5 and tad smoother and more responsive, don't do a lot of miles so it was E5 every time till prices have got high again! so E5 every other time at the moment, nice idea with the number plate in memory of your daughter 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those of us who have (had in my case) a classic car will have read that Esso's E5 is, if from South coast refinery (Portsmouth?) actually ethanol free and so "E0".  I gather that currently that refinery supplies up to Birmingham approx.  Tests on classic cars when E10 was introduced suggested better performance etc (and longer lived components) without ethanol.  So that might explain the reports of our Toyotas enjoying  E5, ie as Esso is also likely to supply other distributors with that fuel.

• Like 2

We have used supermarket fuel almost exclusively since the mid 80's when Asda opened the first filling station locally. Use mostly Tesco these days. When we are away and have to use posh fuels we have noticed no difference to performance or economy.

Its not the octane that is an issue for classic cars (petrol was not as good when they were new as it is today). The Ethanol is the issue and will eat through incompatible rubber pipes and seals. Sensible owners simply replace with modern materials. No different to putting hard exhaust valve seats in a classic engine to enable it to run unleaded but far cheaper. All part of the fun.

1 hour ago, Talking Houbik said:

Tests on classic cars when E10 was introduced suggested better performance etc (and longer lived components) without ethanol.

• Like 3

Yes I don't think there's any real need to put anything special into our Corollas. If it was a high performance sports car there might be some value to using higher octane fuel but even then unless the car is being driven on track days regularly (or the owner likes playing the fool on the public highway) I doubt the benefits would be that noticeable.

E5 v E10 will apparently result in a small change in mpg but given the higher cost of E5 is probably not worth worrying about.

• Like 3

Been using E10 from introduction and currently on the new Yaris. Suppose to be 1-1.6 % less efficient than E5. 

• Like 6

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links