Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Avensis 2014 wipers not parking

Waqs

Hi all,

My wipers are not parking once I activate them. The first position does not work but the 2nd and 3rd does, however when shifting the stalk back to neutral position, wipers will stop half way or any where on the screen when the stalk has moved back up. I have to shift the stalk up to the mist function a few times to manually bring it to the park position. 

I assumed it was the wipe motor however, I have taken in to my local Mechanic who I would say is one of the best and expert in Toyota's and advised it is the 'WINDOW wiper RELAY CONTROL UNIT'.

Can you guys advise if this seems correct and how do I replace this please? 

Thanks 

I did a little digging and found the part number - 85940-05060, using your 'WINDOW wiper RELAY CONTROL UNIT'

The part is located under the dash on the righthand side.

https://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2008/avensis/adt270r-aeffyw/2_273560_007_410W/electrical/8401_switch-relay-computer/3?pnn=85940AVENSIS |  SWITCH RELAY COMPUTER

I hope it is as simple as that. I am sure that Techstream diagnostics could confirm the issue. 

Thank you @Konrad C however, I have just been to another mechanic who I have used in the past and is also a expert with Toyota's, he as suggested the wiper motor and not the relay.

Now I am totally confused, as I do not want to waste money on buying parts.

Please advise?

• Like 1

Just to let you know, I have asked a couple more people on this situation and who have advised it is the motor. 

In my experience, most of the time, it is the relay.

I'd try the relay first, it's the easiest and cheapest.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Stivino said:

In my experience, most of the time, it is the relay.

I'd try the relay first, it's the easiest and cheapest.

Really? This has now confused me even more lol.

I understand your point, however I can get both parts 2nd hand, for the same price but do not want to get both.

Do you know anybody with the same car who would be willing to lend you their relay for five minutes?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all,

Right where do I start..

So first of all, it took me a good couple of hours to work out were the relay was located (thanks to @Konrad C). I was at first looking under the driver side tray for it and managed to vaguely spot it, by clocking the Valeo sign on the side but could not get to it.

After an hour or so, I had realised I can take off the driver side small, storage compartment and plastic side panel to get to the relay :stupid:.

I then went to my local breakers and disconnected my relay and connected to the 2nd hand one and boom, the wipers fired up and parked as they should.

So, now I have the faulty relay bolted on and the working relay currently hanging off the switch. Tonight my mission will be to unbolt the faulty relay and bolt the working one on to the housing.

This was 3 Mechanics against one who all advised that it CANNOT be the relay and it is the motor 😏.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Waqs, here is some reading for you from the repair manual. 

• Parts Location
  • Power Source Circuit
  • Problem Symptom Table
  • System Electric Diagram
  • Terminals of ECU
  • Troubleshooting Procedures for wiper / Wash system
  • Circuit diagram
  • Switch unit diagram

If anything is missing or you need another section that this references please let me know. Would be happy to provide any info you need.  

Take a look through.. maybe give to your mechanic(s) if it would assist them in ruling anything out.  

Before playing part roulette (which most independent mechanics thrive on at your expense) I'd go to a local Toyota dealer and pay them for an hours labour to diagnose. Not only do they have access to the things I attached and more, but they have all sorts of proprietary testing kit and ways of getting to the bottom of it - even if they've never had a car with the issue yours has before.  Just for the diagnostic. Then when they give you the report telling you 'why you need to pay for', take that to your own mechanic or go to the scrap yard and get your own replacement part and hopefully you'll be back on the road. 

I hope this is of use.  It is for a newer Avensis, but still a T27 and I presume they didn't change much if anything about the location of parts and the majority of the electrics. 

System Diagram.pdf Terminals of ECU.pdf Parts Location.pdf Troubleshooting.pdf Problem Symptoms Table.pdf Wiper and Washer Switch Circuit.pdf Power Source Circuit.pdf Washer Motor Circuit.pdf

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Waqs said:

Hi all,

Right where do I start..

So first of all, it took me a good couple of hours to work out were the relay was located (thanks to @Konrad C). I was at first looking under the driver side tray for it and managed to vaguely spot it, by clocking the Valeo sign on the side but could not get to it.

After an hour or so, I had realised I can take off the driver side small, storage compartment and plastic side panel to get to the relay :stupid:.

I then went to my local breakers and disconnected my relay and connected to the 2nd hand one and boom, the wipers fired up and parked as they should.

So, now I have the faulty relay bolted on and the working relay currently hanging off the switch. Tonight my mission will be to unbolt the faulty relay and bolt the working one on to the housing.

This was 3 Mechanics against one who all advised that it CANNOT be the relay and it is the motor 😏.. 

Glad you had it sorts and cheap too! I paid a small part in helping you, and it was the mechanic and @Stivino who gave the advice. Far cheaper and easier to change the relay than a whole wiper unit! Great result. 👍🏾

58 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

Glad you had it sorts and cheap too! I paid a small part in helping you, and it was the mechanic and @Stivino who gave the advice. Far cheaper and easier to change the relay than a whole wiper unit! Great result. 👍🏾

Yes true but thanks all of you for helping.

I am still surprised that 3 Mechanic's suggested it is the wiper motor and not the relay 🤯.

1 hour ago, Waqs said:

I am still surprised that 3 Mechanic's suggested it is the wiper motor and not the relay 🤯.

That's because they are mechanics, and not auto sparks.  That applies to me to but I have done a bit of auto sparking and have encountered your fault a couple of times.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links