Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross, Owners reviews.

Tyfan

On 10/25/2023 at 4:01 PM, Mojo1010 said:

An older corolla 1.8 is 122ps v 116ps on the cross, hardly much difference I would imagine. Enjoy the cross. 

What are the respective power to weight ratios?  

Many years ago Ford offered the Capri with engine options 1.3 to 3.2 bhp.  IIRC the consumption with the 1.3 and 3.2 was comparable but the performance difference was huge.

I think the sweet spot was around 2 litres, power when you needed it but less strain on the engine on normal driving.

PS

I bought a SAAB 99 instead. 

The body panels are now so thin it feels like I am driving  a coke can.  MPG are excellent.   Position of the MMS screen is poor it should be tilted toward the driver by a few degrees.  The button set by the drivers right hand knee is madness.  Why there?  There is ample space on the dash to relocate them and place them closer to the drivers natural line of vision.  Had a failure near side rear wheel sensor fail at about 1K  that put the brake on etc etc, not a nice thing to happen.   Too many bings and bongs.  The auto speed control and radar should be simpler to engage.    Apart from that pleased I bought it.  Would I buy another?  I consider that I now kno wmore about Hybrids to ask better questions next time and might look more closely at other makes and car features.

10 hours ago, TYCE 23 said:

The body panels are now so thin it feels like I am driving  a coke can.  MPG are excellent.   Position of the MMS screen is poor it should be tilted toward the driver by a few degrees.  The button set by the drivers right hand knee is madness.  Why there?  There is ample space on the dash to relocate them and place them closer to the drivers natural line of vision.  Had a failure near side rear wheel sensor fail at about 1K  that put the brake on etc etc, not a nice thing to happen.   Too many bings and bongs.  The auto speed control and radar should be simpler to engage.    Apart from that pleased I bought it.  Would I buy another?  I consider that I now kno wmore about Hybrids to ask better questions next time and might look more closely at other makes and car features.

You say "Apart from that pleased I bought it" did you test drive the car if you did it begs the question why you then went ahead and bought it with a list of so many things you dont like.

Max, you are being overly critical.   We test drove a Corolla for about 4 hours; the dealer said a test drive was down the road, round the roundabout and back.

Even a 4 hour drive in such a novel car is not sufficient time to appreciate the cruise control or knee controls. 

• Like 3

I do not know if it is the shape of my knee or what, but the 'Automatic Headlamp' control button is down where my right knee is and I can not, in any way, operate the button with my knee! :no2:

• Haha 1

If it's "automatic" it shouldn't need a button. 😂

• Haha 1

Ahbut, it doesn't know it's automatic until you press the button. 🙂

I have to say though, that on mine the 'automatic' headlamps are a lot more responsive - and accurate - than they were on the Corolla.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think whatever car you go for things will be different from your previous one ( assuming, of course, it’s not the same model) and you will get used to it, on my last car, the interior release handles were higher up and I was constantly trying to open the door further up than the handle was placed, now I’m used to it it’s no problem, same with the switches by the knee, I just leave the button for the auto lights switched on and let it do it’s thing, now it’s darker at night the switches are nicely illuminated..

• Like 2

It's the tailgate button down there that gets me. There are interlocks so I see no reason for it to be hidden down there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Roy124 said:

It's the tailgate button down there that gets me. There are interlocks so I see no reason for it to be hidden down there.

Don’t you use the kick activation?, I find it’s pretty flawless 

• Like 2

Yes, but it means I have to unstrap, get out if the car and kick it.😝

• Haha 2

I must admit, I clocked the “tinny” feel of the body very early on but it’s well documented that I went through virtually every panel with sound deadening mat.  Not everyone will want to do that but it made a heck of a difference to the sound and feel of the car.  Not sure I blame Toyota for it because they try to keep weight down.   I did think I’d rearrange the order of those switches but you can’t because they are moulded in position.  You do need a switch because it can’t cater for some conditions and you can dazzle cars in some conditions.  The system is better than some models because it is higher up.  The Lexus has the auto switch on the end of the indicator stalk which is perfect and easy to work with a finger without risking life and limb so they do know and there is a way round it but I guess it’s cost.  The bings and bongs come standard with every car now, you can thank the woke snowflake blame culture for that because they’ve literally been sued for just about anything in the US that doesn’t tell the owner not to injure or kill themselves.  The screen?  Well if you tilt it away from the passenger that isn’t right either.   Probably the new Lexus LBX arrangement is better with it low down but the Mazda system of removing the touch screen in motion should be mandatory because touch screens are a liability.  I look forward to the day phones are completely defeated the moment they pass through a car door but that’ll be against somebody’s human rights.  Voice control only for these things.   I liked my Cross.  The only thing that spoiled it for me was Toyotas obsession with over bolstered seats.  Put them in the GR Sport but put comfy seats in the standard models. 

• Like 2

Virtually all cars are now carefully designed and engineered for minimum weight: those body panels might well be 'thin', but modern crash simulation software will still ensure your car is strong in the areas and directional load bearing that matter. As anchorman says (and it coincides with my experience) these car mass minimisation compromises does mean that sound deadening isn't the top priority, so retrofitting this will likely make a big difference (mainly to road noise) depending on the amount added and expertise of the installer. And don't forget: compared to all of the EU countries I've ever driven in (and no doubt Japan but not been there) road noise is much less of an issue because of the preferred smoother surface finish and hugely better state of maintenance. I can also attest that the south of England has the noisiest and worse roads I've ever experienced

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, anchorman said:

I must admit, I clocked the “tinny” feel of the body very early on 

Not long after I got the YX I saw a very small dent in the passenger's door.  So small it was almost imperceptible.   The paint was intact and it looked like a punch had been used.

I used the repair service, £24 excess, but he actually only charged £12.  But it was a Sunday and he either wanted cash or couldn't use a card machine.   In the event I wasn't charged.

The dent was removed by him using metal rods through a grommet hole in the door.  No idea how he did it but impossible to see the fix.

Thinker panels or sound liner could have made it much more difficult. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SinglePointSafety said:

And don't forget: compared to all of the EU countries I've ever driven in (and no doubt Japan but not been there) road noise is much less of an issue because of the preferred smoother surface finish and hugely better state of maintenance

True, and even more noticeable where you suddenly find a quiet stretch.  Can't remember where but driving at speed with significant noise it suddenly went quiet, and I mean really quiet, as we hit smooth tarmac. 

Tar and chip is noisy but for real noise the M180 with ribbed concrete takes some beating. 

If changing tyres noise dB is a factor to consider as well as grip and economy.

• Like 1

Roy124, totally agree. Possibly when Toyota people are designing their cars, their default assumption is that all their customers will be driving on well-maintained smooth roads, hence fitting road noise suppression just for those in the UK with our 3rd-world rough-surface roads isn't something they'd do

Problem with choosing tyres is that the tyre's EU noise rating is for external drive-by noise and doesn't always correlate with NVH transmitted into the cabin. Nonetheless, absolutely agree that tyre choice can have a very significant effect on interior noise: I've had direct experience of this, even for same-size tyres, and even more so swapping wheels/tyres for higher-profile tyres

• Haha 1

@SinglePointSafety "EU noise rating is for external drive-by noise"

Which selfless person would buy tyres to cause less noise for others? 😇

I fitted rear fog lights to stop people hitting the back of my car and not to stop them hitting the front of theirs. :devil:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, SinglePointSafety said:

Virtually all cars are now carefully designed and engineered for minimum weight: those body panels might well be 'thin', but modern crash simulation software will still ensure your car is strong in the areas and directional load bearing that matter. As anchorman says (and it coincides with my experience) these car mass minimisation compromises does mean that sound deadening isn't the top priority, so retrofitting this will likely make a big difference (mainly to road noise) depending on the amount added and expertise of the installer. And don't forget: compared to all of the EU countries I've ever driven in (and no doubt Japan but not been there) road noise is much less of an issue because of the preferred smoother surface finish and hugely better state of maintenance. I can also attest that the south of England has the noisiest and worse roads I've ever experienced

I agree about the roads. There is a niche market there for a manufacturer to design  a "Saga" model of their car. Might sound daft but most of the money is with the over 60's ! For example I wonder how many posting here are under 50? I for one would jump at any car with sensibly small wheels, that was promoted as quiet, comfortable with a soft but not too rolly suspension, minimal or no touch screen other than for looking at with mainly analogue and controls on the steering wheel and easy to use voice control.

• Like 3

Had my Yaris Cross Icon for 2 weeks now and still getting to find out where, and what all the controls do. But changing from a car with 17" wheels to one with 16" wheels I find the car much quieter. But, I have yet to try motorways although I have driven the car on dual carriageways at the legal speed limit and still found it quiet. Driven about 250miles and averaged 61mpg according to the computer, not been able to fill the car up with enough petrol to give a real figure. Overall, very impressed with the car.

• Like 5

@SinglePointSafety Geof, ignore the SSP label.

I think I followed the same route as you to Toyota. I agree 2 weeks is nowhere near enough time to learn everything.

Now the good news.  Starting on the winter will give you plenty of opportunity to learn how to wash the windscreens or see in the dark.

After 3 years I still wash the rear window when I want to wash the wind screen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

@SinglePointSafety Geof, ignore the SSP label.

I think I followed the same route as you to Toyota. I agree 2 weeks is nowhere near enough time to learn everything.

Now the good news.  Starting on the winter will give you plenty of opportunity to learn how to wash the windscreens or see in the dark.

After 3 years I still wash the rear window when I want to wash the wind screen.

😂 towards you Roy, towards you!!!

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links