Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v battery maintenance, issues, etc.

FROSTYBALLS

Our lass can spend over half an hour in the supermarket so a good excuse to sit in the car and charge the Battery and let her do her thing. 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

I had an Aygo x as a loan car not a bad car but the dash is a bit of a mess. 

image.thumb.png.ba01a111b627c2d751f261f05997bb4f.png

Driving one now and tbh I dont mind the design. I dont exactly mind the kinda screen that just pops out of the dash, but I also appreciated that this was integrated.

• Like 3

I quite like the AygoX's form factor, as it's basically a Mk2 Yaris :laugh: 

If it had the Mk2's trick seats, the Mk4's drive train, and the Mk4's dash I'd totally get one.

• Like 2

This shows what i mean about the dash. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, anchorman said:

You don’t have to drive long distances if you can leave it in the READY mode for 30 minutes and lock it with the second key.  

Is that enough to keep the 12v topped up enough? dealers said best to drive over 60 around once a week for at least half an hour.

21 hours ago, anchorman said:

Whatever you say I'm sure they could.. at least they could put in normal 12v battery like in other cars you know.. bigger at least 

• Like 1

They could, but all that does is increase the time before it runs down - It won't stop it running down.

That said, a few people here who were right on the cusp have tried putting in bigger batteries and it seems to have worked for them so far, as they use it just enough to be able to charge it up before the car is left again.

39 minutes ago, Eddie G said:

Is that enough to keep the 12v topped up enough? dealers said best to drive over 60 around once a week for at least half an hour.

I had heard that, but AFAIK the 12v Battery is charged from the DC-DC system from the traction Battery, so I don't see why driving at 60mph would make a difference; I think they're just confused, as that's the advice you'd use for a normal car with an alternator!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Normal cars have a bigger Battery thats physical size.

If you look at Ah (amp Hour) or cca rating it can be lower the same or just slightly higher but in a smaller package.

• Like 2

Aygo X , Yaris mk4 and YX , all three are basically built on the same chassis and you can tell that by looking at their backs. There is one detail that is an absolute eyesore, the rear towing point. Most visible on YX and Aygo x, and slightly hidden on the Yaris . Only on the black colour cars it’s not so protruding, all others omg. Perhaps something that I will spray with black paint on the very same day of delivery  if I buy one of these.
Perhaps it’s just me, but it does really makes these cars look like they had been built in soviet countries. , especially the YX looks like Lada Niva 😂

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, nasamorpheus said:

Let the records show, this is replying to me, not quoting me.  Now you are posing a different question - so whether I say it or not is irrelevant.  Of course they could fit a different 12v Battery, your suggestion was to do away with it.  As Cyker says, that would cure it for some but why should the “normal” users pay to cater for those at the end of the operating envelope.  There may be times I fall into that category so when I’m away I put it on charge and I carry a jump pack in case I get caught out but I don’t expect anyone else to add that to the cost of their car.  You get those shouting “Toyota should supply a jump pack”, no they shouldn’t, that would get added to the car price which isn’t fair to everyone else.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, anchorman said:

You get those shouting “Toyota should supply a jump pack”, no they shouldn’t, that would get added to the car price which isn’t fair to everyone else.  

Toyota sales teams should be honest with customers and explain the low mileage problem  they could then offer the pack as an optional extra.

Has anyone given the car back saying its not fit for purpose?

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

Toyota sales teams should be honest with customers and explain the low mileage problem  they could then offer the pack as an optional extra.

Has anyone given the car back saying its not fit for purpose?

Absolutely.  If a customer rocks up with a 3 year old car with 6000 miles (or something else unusually low), alarm bells should ring and they should be advised about how they might have to deal with it.  If the dealer wants to gesture a £50 jump pack that would be very noble as that doesn’t impact the more normal owners.

you have to be very careful with these terms of merchantable quality and fitness for purpose because legally, the cars meet both.  If you waltz in quoting these terms, you will lose your case - in a dealer or in court.   If you want to bring a case, you’d need to choose your words better based on what was said at the time of sale.  You might for instance argue you’d been mis sold the car knowing that very low mileage is in the high risk zone.  There are better ways of having an amicable agreement where a brief training course is given.  The whole subject is blown out of proportion by forums and Facebook.

• Like 5

With all of the new cars we've bought (21), never been asked what mileage we expect to do.

For most people a car is usually their second most expensive purchase, so rather than putting the onus on a third party to determine expected mileage, etc, surely it is down to the prospective purchaser to determine whether the car suits their needs by doing research and asking pertinent questions around their requirements.

In reality, few salespeople are going dissuade customers from buying a car by asking questions that may put them off the purchase. That's a fact of life.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

With all of the new cars we've bought (21), never been asked what mileage we expect to do.

For most people a car is usually their second most expensive purchase, so rather than putting the onus on a third party to determine expected mileage, etc, surely it is down to the prospective purchaser to determine whether the car suits their needs by doing research and asking pertinent questions around their requirements.

In reality, few salespeople are going dissuade customers from buying a car by asking questions that may put them off the purchase. That's a fact of life.

Ordinarily Mike I would agree but my mate and his mrs have been buying Toyotas forever (since the early 70s at least).  Every 3 years at least they turn up for a replacement car and have never had any problems but now they have a Yaris and now since covid they are spending more and more time in their flat.   The cars are always low mileage when they go back so it is relevant now.  I think most people look in brochures when researching and these pop up YouTube reviews that think they know everything but never mention what a car is like with any age on it.  That gal off Auto Social thinks the steering wheel on the new LBX is too masculine - what on earth!!!   That’ll help somebody choose.   

• Haha 1

We (Aftersales) were always press-ganged on 1st & 2nd August in years gone by to help with the new car hand-overs (some 240 cars on both days). Despite trying to advise customers on the differences between the cars (p/x 1 year old Golf - replacement brand new Golf) barely anyone wanted to know - 'It's OK I have a Golf already' the following week had a steady stream of 'I can't work this' or 'Why doesn't this happen?'.

You can take a horse to water but sometimes what's the point......

• Haha 1

It's not even low mileage, it's low use in general - If the owner only uses the car for like 5 minutes a week to pop to the shops and back, that'll do it in pretty quick as the energy pulled from the 12v to power up all the computers and charge the brake vacuum etc. won't get recuperated.

You can get away with it here, because just going to the local shops can take 10-20 minutes due to the ridiculous traffic :laugh: 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lawnmowerman said:

We (Aftersales) were always press-ganged on 1st & 2nd August in years gone by to help with the new car hand-overs (some 240 cars on both days). Despite trying to advise customers on the differences between the cars (p/x 1 year old Golf - replacement brand new Golf) barely anyone wanted to know - 'It's OK I have a Golf already' the following week had a steady stream of 'I can't work this' or 'Why doesn't this happen?'.

You can take a horse to water but sometimes what's the point......

Again, would ordinarily agree but them not knowing how to work certain features but you can get somebody’s attention if you mention it might get them out of waiting for a tow truck.  The first conversation needs to take place before somebody commits IF the salesman suspects a potential problem.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, anchorman said:

The first conversation needs to take place before somebody commits IF the salesman suspects a potential problem.  

I couldn't agree more.

• Like 1

Is this similar to the ignorance (avoidance) in the early days of Diesel Particulate Filters and short journeys (by sales staff) - seems similar to me.

• Like 2

I was a tad surprised by the 12v Battery, possibly should have got back on TOC first before buying a Toyota again but thought the Battery should be fine unless sat for a week or two? but a very wise person i know being the other half does tend to tell me "You know what thought did" 😱😂 luckly salesman have got cars of in the past did say drive it but zero about READY mode.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Is this similar to the ignorance (avoidance) in the early days of Diesel Particulate Filters and short journeys (by sales staff) - seems similar to me.

They must know the problem exists so they are not being honest with customers, having said that I cannot get my head round why anyone  spending 25 grand on a car  wouldn't spend a few minutes googling common problems with the Yaris cross (or any other car) 

It's not that hard to understand when you think one of the primary things people choose to buy a car on is not the handling, mpg, performance, but... the colour :laugh: 

• Haha 4

And again, the 12v issues dont even come up with a "few minutes of googling" unless you specifically know to google about 12v. I've watched every review out there and scoured pretty much every english source. I found one or two mentions (or questions to the reviewer) about the 12v problems and then there is this forum. This is the only place when I've found any extensive discussion on it and even after all my attempts to find forums like this before purchase, I somehow didnt run into it until after ordering

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CruxisCore said:

And again, the 12v issues dont even come up with a "few minutes of googling" unless you specifically know to google about 12v. I've watched every review out there and scoured pretty much every english source. I found one or two mentions (or questions to the reviewer) about the 12v problems and then there is this forum. This is the only place when I've found any extensive discussion on it and even after all my attempts to find forums like this before purchase, I somehow didnt run into it until after ordering

Damn, can't edit/delete anymore. Just realized this was about Yaris, not Yaris Cross. I was going to add that probably if searching about the Yaris it would've come up, just not (yet?) for Yaris Cross.

51 minutes ago, CruxisCore said:

d again, the 12v issues dont even come up with a "few minutes of googling" unless you specifically know to google about 12v.

I googled "Yaris cross hybrid main problems" (no mention of 12v battery) the 6th link was to a Yaris forum and the 9th thread on the first page was titled "Flat battery"  i wont link to it as its a rival forum but i will pm you it if you want, the content of the thread is below -  

wwwwre.JPG

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links