Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v battery maintenance, issues, etc.

FROSTYBALLS

1 hour ago, hind said:

leaving a car for a week does no harm. And as you also probably noticed, most of the drivers use the car daily or almost daily. In this scenario even Mutlu (in working condition, I'm not talking about half-dead ones) is enough to keep the car running.  

If there was no problem for customers who rarely drive leaving the car for a few days at a time there wouldn't be a 95 page thread about it here!

Halfords also wouldn't have sold so many  booster packs, smart trickle chargers and solar charging panels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parts-King said:

The trouble with forums is that you would think this affects every car,

Only if you dont actually read the threads!

it mainly affects people doing very low mileage.

The guy in the FB post was one of the ones who like many in this 95 page thread doesn't drive often enough to keep the 12v Battery topped up obviously if you drive regularly the Battery will be charged so you will have no issue.

1 minute ago, Max_Headroom said:

The guy in the FB post was one of the ones who like many in this 95 page thread doesn't drive often enough to keep the 12v battery topped up obviously if you drive regularly the battery will be charged so you will have no issue.

That’s an assumption on your part.  Nowhere in his post does he mention his driving….only that he’s had problems with the Battery and wants to reject the car.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Graham47 said:

That’s an assumption on your part.  Nowhere in his post does he mention his driving….only that he’s had problems with the battery and wants to reject the car.

He says -  we have had Battery problems and the dealer has offered to fit an "Enhanced battery" which should sort the problem, the title is also a bit of a giveaway "This is a must read for anyone that has had problems with a self charging Yaris Cross 12 volt battery"   now i might be putting 2 + 2 together and coming up with 6 but i think most of us will assume its the same problem all the members who have posted here are also having why else would they offer an "enhanced battery" option along  with a gagging order? 

I do agree it could have been handled better, but it definitely doesn't affect every owner, and I think more of us haven't had 12v problems than have; Mine's been fine and it's nearly 3 years old. I've never trickle-charged it, and it has been left for weeks during a lot of the school holidays when work is light, and one time was left all day with the side lights on!

Hopefully it's water under the bridge now as, if my theory about it being due to pallets of them being left untended over covid, holds any truth, then the problem should be almost gone with the newer vehicles as fresh batteries are going straight into new cars instead of half-dead ones.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

now i might be putting 2 + 2 together and coming up with 6 but i think we all know its the same problem

Do WE ? Or do you mean “I DO” !

You certainly cannot say with any certainty.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I do agree it could have been handled better, but it definitely doesn't affect every owner, and I think more of us haven't had 12v problems than have; Mine's been fine and it's nearly 3 years old. I've never trickle-charged it, and it has been left for weeks during a lot of the school holidays when work is light, and one time was left all day with the side lights on!

I agree Cyker it definitely could have been handled better i also agree with you about the amount of Yaris X owners not having issues being more than those who are,  Covid was the reason this whole issue surfaced as all most of us obeyed the rules and stayed at home i bet thousands of rarely used ICE cars failed to start weeks after being stood but obviously the small 12v didn't cope well with the long periods of no charge and here we are years later, it will not put me off buying an X though i definitely will keep a fully charged booster in the glove box "just in case" belt and braces and all that  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh that reminds me I better check the charge on the Noco in mine... :whistling1: :laugh: 

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

Do WE ? Or do you mean “I DO” !

You certainly cannot say with any certainty.

Moderator edit i have edited my earlier post to say - 

now i might be putting 2 + 2 together and coming up with 6 but i think most of us will assume its the same problem all the members who have posted here are also having why else would they offer an "enhanced battery" option along  with a gagging order? 

My results for 6 days under solar charging and doing a few short trips now & then.

IMG_0975.thumb.PNG.f584b2634bc293fcf253cde1b488c130.PNG

Solar panel 30 watts using MPPT solar panel controller apart from first day all the rest are cloudy raining days with some fog.

17 hours ago, Parts-King said:

The trouble with forums is that you would think this affects every car, I can tell you it doesn't, it mainly affects people doing very low mileage. I have a lady who comes in every single day to see us, then she goes to a garden centre locally and then home, probably does 10 mile a day at most. She has never had an issue, we have very many more customers like that. The issue is being addressed by Toyota, it maybe addressed by a service campaign, it won't be by recall as it is not a safety issue. I don't have any other specific information on the current situation

Also that it only effects Toyota because it doesn’t, it effects many other brands with a proper hybrid set up.   

16 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

If there was no problem for customers who rarely drive leaving the car for a few days at a time there wouldn't be a 95 page thread about it here!

Halfords also wouldn't have sold so many  booster packs, smart trickle chargers and solar charging panels.

How do you know who buys trickle chargers from Halfords?   You’re not really suggesting it’s only Toyota hybrid owners are you?  

16 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

Only if you dont actually read the threads!

The guy in the FB post was one of the ones who like many in this 95 page thread doesn't drive often enough to keep the 12v battery topped up obviously if you drive regularly the battery will be charged so you will have no issue.

We know what the potential for problems are and the notion that Toyota are doing nothing about it is only down to ignorance of how these things work.  It was my job to do exactly that in days gone by (albeit in friction materials) and they will sit and read out exactly what the dealerships are feeding back and what they are doing about it.  It might mean bringing in a second supplier and it might mean getting the current supplier to sort their act out (quality or specifications).  The Battery on these cars might look the same but they might not be the same but only Toyota and Mutlu will know that.   The point is with that fb post is that we don’t know what has gone on between the dealer and the owner.  You generally reap what you sow and they could have been given a perfectly reasonable offer.  We don’t know the condition of the car or what the owner considers fair.  Some will expect a full refund after putting miles on and treating it like trash.  There’s alway entitled luvvies that will follow on fb.  They love some drama and love to be appalled and a lot of them don’t even own one of these vehicles.  

• Like 5

Well said Don I think max should understand this 

• Like 1

@anchorman

"It might mean getting the current supplier to sort their act out (quality or specifications)" 🤔

Couldn't agree more with that sentence in your post. More current is definitely what we need. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just wondering, my Auris had an AGM Battery "because it was in the passenger space in case of an accident it leaked", right hand side of the boot.  The YC however is a lead acid under the rear seat, also in the passenger space. Why doesn't it have an AGM also?  Thanks

3 hours ago, Auris Geezer said:

Just wondering, my Auris had an AGM battery "because it was in the passenger space in case of an accident it leaked", right hand side of the boot.  The YC however is a lead acid under the rear seat, also in the passenger space. Why doesn't it have an AGM also?  Thanks

They usually have AGM if there’s a stop start system.  We had this discussion a while back where someone didn’t like the thought of acid dripping on his kids but the Battery leaking would be the least of my worries if the car was upside down with the kids in.  I’d have to roll a Battery over and check if it leaks.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Auris Geezer said:

Just wondering, my Auris had an AGM battery "because it was in the passenger space in case of an accident it leaked", right hand side of the boot.  The YC however is a lead acid under the rear seat, also in the passenger space. Why doesn't it have an AGM also?  Thanks

At the time we assumed they used AGM because putting the 12v *inside* the car was a new thing for Toyota (Or at least I'd never heard of them doing it before) and either it was a legal requirement or they were just erring on the side of caution, as AGM lead acid batteries don't have any free-liquid acid in it to leak anywhere which is logically safer, and as a bonus they work in any orientation, even upside down. I'm not sure if they ever officially stated safety was their reasoning for it though.

A decade or so later, I assume they've decided that having a normal wet Battery is safe enough, since even my Yaris Mk4 comes with a Battery even lower tech than I had in my Mk2 Yaris - My Mk2 at least had an EFB, but the one in my Mk4 isn't even that :laugh: 

The batteries are sealed at least, so shouldn't leak even if upside down, although I suspect that would kill them pretty quickly.

One big advantage is the olde worlde Battery in my Yaris is *much* cheaper than an AGM one would be, although I do wish they'd gone with deep-cycle batteries instead of regular car starter batteries, but that's a whole 'nother subject :laugh: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Toyota Yaris Hybrid - registered 01.04.22

This is the second Yaris Hybrid that I have owned and for the first time ever I had to call the emergency breakdown service out and they quickly diagnosed a flat Battery and had me going again in no time. However, this has caused me some concern, and my wife in particular in case it should happen again. The situation has not been improved by reading the various threads but as I am not mechanically minded I would appreciate some assurance.

I bought a smart trickle charger from Halfords together with a volt reader/accessory charger that fits in the cigarette lighter socket.

Having seen my volt reader registering 11.9 while at rest (key position 1) I put my Battery on charge overnight and in the morning it recorded that the Battery was fully charged and I got the following readings from the volt meter:

Key on in position 1 with front windscreen cam and iPhone unconnected - 12.1 - 12.4

Key on in position 2 with engine running - 13.9

Actual driving, lowest reading 12.7

After approximately 50 mile trip with one stop of 1.5 hours (I loaded and unloaded my mobility scooter using  hoist twice both times with the engine running as recommended by the Toyota dealer following call out above)

Key on in position 1 with no accessories attached - 12.1 - 12.2

Key on in position 2 13.9 - 14.1

I realise the above is a bit long winded and I am sorry but thought it best to explain as best I could.

My question is, is my battery ok?

Many thanks.

It is not really possible to say based on voltage measurement alone. I can say that 13.9v to 14.1v when running and with a low of 12.7v sounds normal. The lower reading is when the system thinks the Battery is fully charged and so it drops the voltage down to 12.7v. That maintains the charge level but adds nothing to the Battery and is done in the name of efficiency as much as anything else.

11.9v is getting a bit on the low side (but is actually about what I see on a conventional ICE car with an old Battery and one that gives no concerns over starting).

What none of these readings tell you is what the capacity is like and how well it holds up under load.

I don't know what electrical consumers you can turn on with a Hybrid without it being in ready mode and the engine starting but flashing and holding the headlights on (assuming they are conventional and not LED) would be a good start to see if the voltage holds up. 

Many thanks for your advice, I continue to learn about batteries which is obviously a good thing. Thanks again 

Hi, I am bed ridden with lung problems so what i am saying is from my wife`s use of the car. It is a 2017 hybrid bought in November 2023. It has a normal key start and the radio has no smart screen. I hope this makes sense. It has been sitting in the garage now for 2 weeks, so i sent Freda out to see if it would go to ready mode and it did. I have no idea what Battery is in it, but would imagine it has been replaced since it left the factory. Odometer  is  showing about 34000 mls. I must admit, after reading the 90 odd pages in this thread i was very surprised with the result. It just shows you can take nothing for granted. At least it saved me trying to explain to Freda how to connect the c tek charger which i have had for many years, i would imagine that would have been a nightmare. !!!!!!!!

• Like 3

Ian, Ronnie, it all depends.  What we do know is that a Battery that has gone flat and subsequently required a call-out or a jump start/recharge has suffered damage. 

That damage might be minor or it might be significant if it happened more than once and was in a discharged state for some time.

Ronnie my be right and his car has already had a replacement Battery,  on the other hand maybe not.

Your problem is you do not know your battery's previous history and your dealer may not either.  My Corolla had it's Battery changed but there was nothing in the Service log. 

In your case Ian, use your charger.  Such a modern smart charger can be left connected as long as you like and will do much to regenerate your battery if need be.

• Like 3

I have not needed to use a mains charger on my car in over 15 days by just using solar power as a additional Battery charge.

IMG_0986.PNG

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Derek.w said:

I have not needed to use a mains charger on my car in over 15 days by just using solar power as a additional battery charge.

IMG_0986.thumb.PNG.858c634ba90129f0540d328025fa060c.PNG

I found I could also do that with the two Mk3s that I previously had when we had a south-facing driveway.

• Like 2

On 4/15/2024 at 5:03 AM, CPN said:

I found I could also do that with the two Mk3s that I previously had when we had a south-facing driveway.

My car is facing West so if I am lucky it start to charge from about 10:30 the clouds play a big part in this because if its exra dark then output is reduced.

To help overcome low output from solar panels I am using two 30 watt units.

• Like 3

Imagine solar panel instead of the pano roof 😉 should be able to charge both HV and 12v batteries 🙂

• Like 6

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links