Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hold button

ikcdab

I have a 2022 Yaris Cross. Not had it long so still learning.

The "hold' button seems a very obvious feature.  As soon as you stop in traffic, the electronic handbrake comes on and you can take your foot off the brake.

It is such an obvious thing, that I wonder why it is switched off by default and you have to manually switch it on every time you power up the car.  Why isn't it just on all the time? When would you not want it?

Am I missing something?

• Like 2

Parking maneuvers with auto-hold force you to press the accelerator to move and when the brake releases, the car gains speed faster. You might not want that 🙂

With auto-hold disabled, you just release brake pedal slightly and it starts to move. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

Am I missing something?

2 minutes ago, hind said:

Parking maneuvers with auto-hold force you to press the accelerator to move and when the brake releases, the car gains speed faster. ...With auto-hold disabled, you just release brake pedal slightly and it starts to move. 

Sum's it up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ikcdab said:

electronic handbrake

AFAIK it is an electronic brake,  subtle difference.   If you wait in Hold (someone did mention a time) it will then apply the EPB.

There is a difference,  I don't know what.

2 hours ago, ikcdab said:

electronic handbrake

AFAIK it is an electronic brake,  subtle difference.   If you wait in Hold (someone did mention a time) it will then apply the EPB.

43 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

The Hold button keeps the main brakes applied for up to 3 minutes, IIRC. Past 3 minutes, the parking brake is applied (like going into P with the transmission, I imagine). 

I use Hold when driving in the city, and in stop & start traffic. 

• Like 2

Yea, I wish the car could remember the hold mode ON. I understand why sometimes I don't want to use it, but most of the times I do. Not the most inconvenient thing though.

I must be doing something wrong, as in two years I've never used to hold button.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hadrian1 said:

I must be doing something wrong, as in two years I've never used to hold button.

I wouldn't say that, I didn't use it either until I (re)started driving in dense traffic and with lots of traffic lights. If you live beyond the black stump, for example in a village with no traffic lights, such as where I live, it's difficult to see a use for it.

• Like 2

The Brake Hold will stay active indefinitely until it's disabled; Unfortunately, things that disable it include Shifting into P and unlocking your seat belt :laugh: 

It's because the Brake Hold is not fail-safe, and they really don't want you to be able to get out of the car with it enabled, so you have to manually enable it each time. It'll become part of the routine after a while; I almost automatically turn it on after I put my seatbelt on and press the Start button.

Don't mix the Brake Hold up with the EPB to' - They are completely different systems! The Brake Hold is like a 'virtual foot', holding the footbrake for you, and acts exactly like if you were just holding the footbrake (Including the brake lights.) However, it is a hydraulic system and doesn't fail-safe, but it is much faster than the EPB.

The EPB uses two motor-driven clamps on the rear wheels only, like a handbrake, but it will fail-safe - Even without power, the EPB can hold tightly on the rear wheels forever.

One annoying thing with the EPB vs Brake Hold, is with Brake Hold the car will stay still in Drive, but with the EPB, the car will continually strain against the rear brakes - You can feel the initial lurch as the back of the car gets pushed down by the torque. Normally and in any other autobox, you'd put it in Neutral to stop it doing that, but with the hybrids the car will soon complain and tell you to put in in P or D because it can't charge the traction Battery in N. For that reason I never use the EPB, except in conjunction with Park (Which automatically engages it).

• Like 1

It's a God send for me. My regular commute has constant traffic lights and sometimes medium traffic. In my last car I was constantly using the handbrake.

But yeah, forgetting it's on when attempting to reverse is annoying.

"The brake hold system keeps the brake applied when the shift lever is in D, B or N with the system on and the brake pedal has been depressed to stop the vehicle. The system releases the brake when the accelerator pedal is depressed with the shift lever in D or B to allow smooth start off."

and

"If the brake pedal is left released for a period of about 3 minutes after the system has started holding the brake, the parking brake will be set automati- cally. In this case, a warning buzzer sounds and a message is shown on the multi-information display."

From the Yaris IV manual.

And, of course, as @Cyker noted opening doors, unbuckling seat belt.

I generally have "Hold" off, but turn it on when circumstances are appropriate. Just as I generally don't have the doors locked when driving, but in the big city I do.

• Like 1

When I was putting better led reverse bulbs in the RAV I had it in R, with the parking brake on, not Hold. 

The car complained bitterly when I got out to check the bulbs 🤣

• Like 1

Driving in the city at traffic lights with the "HOLD" button is fun.

Before the vehicle behind me shifts from 1st to 3rd, I'm already at the next traffic light 😄

• Like 2

On 11/21/2023 at 8:26 AM, ikcdab said:

I have a 2022 Yaris Cross. Not had it long so still learning.

The "hold' button seems a very obvious feature.  As soon as you stop in traffic, the electronic handbrake comes on and you can take your foot off the brake.

It is such an obvious thing, that I wonder why it is switched off by default and you have to manually switch it on every time you power up the car.  Why isn't it just on all the time? When would you not want it?

Am I missing something?

You're absolutley right.  Crazy EU emission standards have dictated that certain functions that are related to emissions are switch off by default, but the parking brake ain't one of them. Whether people are in favour of HOLD or not, they at least should expect the car to behave exactly the same when turning on the engine as it did when you turned it off. 

VW Group retain autohold features but for some unknown reason, Toyota doesn't. My 2016 Honda was the same - I found it a pain having to set the car up how I wanted it each time I switched on the ignintion.

I much prefer auto hold to be on, but playing Devils Advocate, there is one strong argument against - it creates more wear and tear on the brake pads and discs due to the way it operates. The above replies are right, it works just as if you have your foot on the brake, but in certain conditions, for a fraction of a second, it acts like left foot braking - one foot is on the accelerator whilst the other is on the brake.

Another 👍 for the auto hold button, as this is my first ever auto it isn’t any bother to switch it on before I set off as I know no different to any other automatic, for me it’s push start, engage reverse/drive, then press hold, no bother..

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Primus1 said:

Another 👍 for the auto hold button, as this is my first ever auto it isn’t any bother to switch it on before I set off as I know no different to any other automatic, for me it’s push start, engage reverse/drive, then press hold, no bother..

Yes, but I like to be able to creep sometimes, which is a nice feature of most automatic transmission if you don't have the brakes on.

• Like 1

Yeah, I sometimes turn it off when trying to squeeze into a tight parking space so I can finesse the creep with the brakes without accidentally triggering the brake hold!

That's one thing I like about being able to very explicitly turn it on or off; My mates prefers the 'hill-start' style one on his Auris, as he doesn't have to turn it on and off, just hold the brake pedal until it triggers, but I don't like that you have to hold it for a while before it kicks in, and the button removes any possibility of accidentally triggering it when you don't want to.

Mine didn't creep.  I was on a level drive in reverse with break off.

I’ve found with mine the slightest touch of the accelerator moves the car, also, it doesn’t kick in until you come to a complete stop, I can hear it activating as there’s a slight squeak as the brake applies…

1 hour ago, Primus1 said:

I’ve found with mine the slightest touch of the accelerator moves the car, also, it doesn’t kick in until you come to a complete stop, I can hear it activating as there’s a slight squeak as the brake applies…

I thought mine was unreliable at first but found out like yours it has to come to a absolute stop and firm pressure on the brake then look at the display to confirm it is holding 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Primus1 said:

You can eliminate the screeching sound when braking by removing the sharp edge of the brake disc.

You have to look at brake regs (break is a brew and a biscuit).  You can have a parking brake assist which will hold the vehicle on a slopes part of driving but you have to ensure that a vehicle is parked on stored energy and the best way of doing that is to make applying it manually.  That makes it a conscious decision and less likely to forget it is there.  It won’t stay on indefinitely, it will disengage unless the brake is tapped and it will bleep and remind you periodically.  It also explains why it will apply if you appear to be quitting if you open the door or release your seatbelt.  The Yaris system is much better than my old design Lexus which needs more pressure to apply and doesn’t release as smoothly which shows they’ve refined it somewhat.   

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links