Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Weird things happening to my cross

Primus1

This morning as I backed out of my garage the tpms light triggered saying the nearside rear tyre was down to 27psi, the offside rear was down to 28psi, yet no orange bar , ( as was with the other one) I checked when I got to work and the pressure was 29psi, ( as it recommends), 

on leaving work tonight the tpms was still lit but both rears had orange bars on the display, then, driving through the village firstly the high beam activated even when cars were coming towards me ( it’s never done that before) also the pre collision off symbol showed on the dash a couple of times, for the past couple of night I’ve tried to set the remote climate from the app, but no joy, it says to press for one second a pop up but nothing, 

anyway, just been out to check the tyres again and, they were a little down in pressure but not much, but I guess enough to trigger the tpms, looking at the tyres there’s nothing I can see lodged in it, ( last time it was a screw) 

so anyone have any thoughts on these issues?

Cold weather does see a measurable drop in tyre pressure. Charts like this show approx a 1psi change per 5.5C temperature change.

A few days ago it was around 10C here, this morning -2C.

Screenshot2023-11-29191130.thumb.png.8ce42d7b7dfe89ee191b2b5a770ffaa9.png

• Like 2

The outside temperature has an effect tpms and when very cold it can show under inflated tyres, and as the tyres warm up light can go out. Freezing conditions with frost forming on the upper regions of the windscreen can affect the camera and the pre collision system.

• Like 2

On the weekend I left with my tyres around 34psi, and after hauling up the motorway and some twisty country roads the TPMS was reading 41psi when I pulled up :laugh: 

• Like 4

Our tyre pressures have always been up and down like a fiddlers elbow but we were ignorant of it.  The TPMS doesn’t just check for a puncture, it ensures the car handles as it was type approved and that might mean adjusting the cold pressure up or down several times a year.  Each sensor has a range of accuracy of plus minus a couple of psi so it is inevitable that one will trigger an alarm before the others and in the example above, the temperature change has triggered a second.  Don’t beat yourself up about these warnings, it’s dead easy to scroll across and read the pressure.  If one is very low, you might have a puncture that needs attention but if they’re all down and the weather is cold, just sort it out first opportunity.  That doesn’t mean next May, it means don’t worry on your way home from work.  What might need doing from time to time is to set them all as the door sticker then initialise them in the settings just to re-calibrate them.  You can do it as often as you like on ours but on some cars, it’ll lock you out after 2 attempts without sorting the pressure to stop a cheat causing an unstable condition.  It all seems a pain but it’s actually good stuff and absolutely correct that we have the correct pressures.  If you don’t like the hassle, get them inflated with nitrogen or hydrogen or helium or whatever it is that doesn’t change with pressure 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks guys, yes the screen was frosted over when I was leaving work, ( oh how I miss my heated windscreen) so I thought I’d start the remote climate but no joy, I’ll have a play tomorrow and see what I find..

• Like 1

A few blown out tyres breakdowns last night in the freezing cold. 
It was an obvious sign of driving with low pressure in the tyres.
Add the cold temperature change in pressure further down and motorway speeds and we have the ideal situation for your tyres to overheat and burst 💥 🛞 Two of the cars were ph Priuses on Uber. I hope the rescue guys will explain to them why that has happened so they learn their lesson and start checking pressure more often and especially when weather conditions changes. In freezing cold adjust pressure to exact max numbers or slightly less and not above is better practice to allow temperatures fluctuations up in the upcoming days plus rubber gets very hard in the cold and you may lose some comfort and grip.
For example at 0C° and set pressure at 2.3 bar you can be perfectly fine with 2.28 bar instead. 
⚠️The tyres usually goes burst when they have less than a bar pressure. 

• Like 2

I have been running cars for 40+ years and can honestly say in that time i have never religiously checked my tyre pressures,  for several years i did a 50 mile round trip to work which was mainly on dual carriageway and i have never had a blow out obviously for tyre wear best to keep them spot on but if my car didn't have the pressure warning system i still wouldn't be checking them every month i dont think its necessary.

59 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

I have been running cars for 40+ years and can honestly say in that time i have never religiously checked my tyre pressures,  for several years i did a 50 mile round trip to work which was mainly on dual carriageway and i have never had a blow out obviously for tyre wear best to keep them spot on but if my car didn't have the pressure warning system i still wouldn't be checking them every month i dont think its necessary.

You haven’t got one of the newer models.  

1 hour ago, Max_Headroom said:

i still wouldn't be checking them every month i dont think its necessary.

Tyres lose a little pressure over time regardless, so to keep them near the recommended you should check them every so often.

I find that going from autumn into winter the normal loss plus the drop in temperature means topping them up every month or so - I generally put a pound more in than spec and next time I check they'll likely be a pound down.

Going from spring to summer the increase in temperature seems to balance out the natural loss, so although I still check them I don't usually need to add air. (In fact once or twice I've had to let a psi out.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Max_Headroom said:

Very few do, doesn't mean it's correct. Oil, water, washers, tyre pressures, all a drivers responsibility but all gone out the window as people "expect" the car to perform forever without any checks. Just had somebody call in with the TPMS warning light on and the tyre shredded, How long has the light been on? Oh about a week, I didn't know what the light was ........... 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

54 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

all a drivers responsibility but all gone out the window as people "expect" the car to perform forever without any checks.

I didn't say dont check i questioned how often you need to check and wonder if the loss is regularly as much as is being made out, i can honestly say it didn't get to the stage where my cars was wallowing round corners that made me feel its time to check more a case of it coming to mind its been a while (months not years) and i cannot ever remember it taking minutes to blow them up because they had lost so much air.

Considering the tyres contact with the road is about the size of a handprint it makes sense to check them regularly not just pressures but overall condition, 

Well tonight no issues at all, re checked the pressures last night and the tpms re set and is behaving itself as are the other systems, I even managed to turn on the climate tonight five minutes before I left work and the car was reasonably warm…

• Like 3

Down here, checking the pressures regularly is essential, with the number of potholes and speed humps I have to traverse! Even with the TPMS system reducing the need to physically check them regularly, I'm still putting back a few PSI every few months.

But I suspect I'm an unusual case, esp. with the checks - Heck, I've spoken to someone who was convinced that only garages could legally adjust tyre pressures! :rolleyes1: :wallbash:

22 hours ago, Primus1 said:

Thanks guys, yes the screen was frosted over when I was leaving work, ( oh how I miss my heated windscreen) so I thought I’d start the remote climate but no joy, I’ll have a play tomorrow and see what I find..

That's one of the few things I miss about our Fords - Those heated windscreens were very handy to defrost it and keep it de-fogged without having to rely on the blower!

I don't know why nobody seems to do it still except for Ford...

That said, I do wonder how much that'd add to the cost of a replacement windscreen...!

Have the tyre pressure warning here almost every time we get a drop in temperature, think that's fairly normal. Also had the pre collision off warning light show up a few times recently. I also get random collision warnings telling me to brake when there is nothing anywhere near, happens on the same stretch of road so I assume the car is 'seeing' a danger that is not actually there.

Also had a couple of warnings show up in the app telling me the parking brake isn't working, only know there is a warning if you actually look in the relevant section of the app, so hardly a warning.

Car is about to be booked in for it's 2 year 30000 km service so will ask them to check these things out.

14 hours ago, Dexter290 said:

Have the tyre pressure warning here almost every time we get a drop in temperature, think that's fairly normal.

It's worth checking/adjusting tyre pressures every month, or thereabouts. I didn't until recently, but have found my fuel consumption has improved since,  true only by 2-3% but worth having.

14 hours ago, Dexter290 said:

I also get random collision warnings telling me to brake when there is nothing anywhere near, happens on the same stretch of road so I assume the car is 'seeing' a danger that is not actually there.

Yes there's a stretch of road near me where that happens often. there's a very slight turn, and if on the other side of the road someone is there and too much in the middle I will get the warning. 

• Like 2

Freezing fog tonight and collision warning appears again, with a message about front camera disabled, high beam coming on through the village ( well lit with street lights) once giving a brief flick, no tpms warning though, so I guess cold weather is affecting it..

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

Freezing fog tonight and collision warning appears again, with a message about front camera disabled

Not unusual really. If the wipers don't clear it (if that patch isn't heated they will struggle) the image will be poor.

Even the radar based ones can have trouble with icing. (Or a wet leaf stuck on the front of the detection patch, as happened to me on a previous car.)

• Like 2

On 11/30/2023 at 7:29 PM, Cyker said:

I don't know why nobody seems to do it still except for Ford...

That said, I do wonder how much that'd add to the cost of a replacement windscreen...!

I had to double check the date on your reply, thought it might have been 2013 🤣

Ford's patent expired years ago. I think it was around 2010 I saw a VW Passat with the heated windscreen Option ( Ford had a tie up with VW at the time) but since then VW, SEAT, SKODA, AUDI, Land Rover, Jaguar, Nissan, Merc etc. al have them.

In reality, replacement cost makes little difference.

The days of visible lines down the screen have gone too - many use a clear sheet in the laminated glass.

Yes, my ford had a heated screen and you could just see the lines in bright sunlight, but it never became a nuisance or impacted on driving..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links